Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Friday all!

I just picked up a Silver 2015 TLX w/tech from CarMax with 47K miles a couple of days ago. Paint and interior are very clean, but there is some concerning corrosion in the engine bay. It drives great but don't want something falling off in a couple of years. Let me know what you think. I have about 4 more days to return it and get something else, but I've got my heart set on the TLX model.

I had a 11' TSX briefly for about 2-3 years until my wife recently 'totaled' it. I say that with a bit of sarcasm because the TSX was minty and the damage in my opinion as 'totaled' is debatable but that is what the insurance company wrote off. So I took the check and bought the TLX.

Before that I had a 00' (bought new and modified over the years) Electron Blue Pearl which I had for 16 years. I still wish they would come out with a TLX manual.

Near Future Plans: Tint, fog lights and lid Spoiler.

'Totaled' TSX

New whip

Shots of bay with some corrosion

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would recommend use the money and down the 2018 or 2019 TLX. You'll be happier long-term. There are a lot upgrades and changes since then.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hmmm interesting, wonder if the car was exposed to salt water or something or was part of a flood... personally I wouldn't keep it... it would be worried every time I looked at it. #Crashmaster can certainly help out with his insight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was having a 2010 TL with only 25K miles delivered from Virginia Beach to St. Louis Mo. by Carmax, the body and interior looked brand new, I decided to take a closer look at the engine online, and it looked like it had 200K miles on it so I backed off. It had corrosion, major scratches on top of the engine and the radiator hoses were covered in grime. It seemed like they drop a used engine in.
At that point I said I would never go through Carmax and instead went to a recommended Acura dealership for my TLX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like salt damage. I always pull a Carfax report before I buy a used vehicle. That will give you a history of where the car was owned and driven. You also will find out if the car has been in any accidents. Being in the south we see a lot of vehicles purchased up north and then sold here in the south. Many southerners do not know what salt damage looks like and they take advantage of that fact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts