Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm Alan (age 61) and live in Elk Grove, CA.. I've owned several Hondas since 1982 but this is my first Acura, a base TLX in slate silver/ alabaster. I've had it for 11 days and have put up 420 miles of fun driving. I'm coming out of a Sienna van that we've owned for a soul-crushing 17 years, 229k miles. (I feel like I can breathe again!)
I was checking out the tinting thread. I got 5% on all three rears. It keeps out nosey people and keeps those 5000° temp. headlights on pickups from burning a hole in my eyes at night.
I dropped my Sirius tuner in the armrest compartment and it fits rather nicely. I have a lifetime Sirius subscription with that tuner so I will pass on the on-board subscription after the 90 days expires. Paddle shifters are new to me but are easy to learn and fun on those windy country roads.
Wifey has a 2011 Pilot EX-L with 50k on it. She wants to look at the 2016 RDX when it intros next month. I had a 2015 RDX for a courtesy loaner last week. That baby could really move!
Looks like a bunch of good people here. I look forward to learning more about our cars here.

Alan...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Alan! See my post to Dan on another thread. :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hi everyone,

I'm Alan (age 61) and live in Elk Grove, CA.. I've owned several Hondas since 1982 but this is my first Acura, a base TLX in slate silver/ alabaster. I've had it for 11 days and have put up 420 miles of fun driving. I'm coming out of a Sienna van that we've owned for a soul-crushing 17 years, 229k miles. (I feel like I can breathe again!)
I was checking out the tinting thread. I got 5% on all three rears. It keeps out nosey people and keeps those 5000° temp. headlights on pickups from burning a hole in my eyes at night.
I dropped my Sirius tuner in the armrest compartment and it fits rather nicely. I have a lifetime Sirius subscription with that tuner so I will pass on the on-board subscription after the 90 days expires. Paddle shifters are new to me but are easy to learn and fun on those windy country roads.
Wifey has a 2011 Pilot EX-L with 50k on it. She wants to look at the 2016 RDX when it intros next month. I had a 2015 RDX for a courtesy loaner last week. That baby could really move!
Looks like a bunch of good people here. I look forward to learning more about our cars here.

Alan...
Welcome to the forum! It's always good to see a member's first post is an introduction.

It is also nice to read a positive review of the TLX. I hope you find some helpful information in the forum that was submitted by our contributing members. I know I learned more than a couple of things about my new TLX with the forum's help.

Wow 5% Tint! Must be nice and cool inside on a hot summer's day.

Just an FYI, but during the 90-day trial, you also get a 90-day trial of their Internet access, in case you didn't know.

Members tell me all the time how they enjoy Sports+ and the paddle shifters, but I am content to slap into D and drive in Sports mode. I enjoy the drive to and from work each day.

We do a have a good group of members here. Each member has their own point of view that can align with others or show you a contrasting point of view to show you a different angle on the subject matter.

Silver is a nice color. What did you get for the interior color?

Please contribute as much as you like and enjoy the forum and your new TLX. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome, Summest. The interior color is Greystone, a pleasing light clay color. Can't see having black interior in the summer when temps routinely hit 100° - 110° here in the valley. I earned a '99 New Beetle (1st prize) in a sales contest back in '98 so I was a regular on the forum (5,400+ posts) mostly trying to help others with some technical question. Those Beetles are not of very good quality, so I subsequently sold it after 10 years (my daughters were NOT interested at any time). I will check in often, though I don't expect to have anywhere near that type of activity here. Love the car thus far and hope to glean information as needed. BTW...got two sets of bag hooks installed in the trunk by my dealer (a special tool is required to do it properly).
Oh, and also, my dealer offers free car washes, as often as I please, for as long as I own it. HAND WASH ONLY, NO MACHINES! Unbelievable!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice to know that both of the greater Sacramento Acura dealerships provide a free wash at will! I also plan of window tint and those bag hooks on my upcoming visit for an oil change. Enjoy the ride!:laugh:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to know that both of the greater Sacramento Acura dealerships provide a free wash at will! I also plan of window tint and those bag hooks on my upcoming visit for an oil change. Enjoy the ride!:laugh:
Hey Mike,

Those bag hooks come in real handy when bringing home some take-out grub. No need to have those entreés sliding around the upholstery and/or tipping over. The downside is that more of the meal actually gets into the house. I may make an exception for Chipotlé's tortilla chips. They can ride up front with me (strapped in, of course...).
You may be tempted to save the $65 labor for installation, but it requires a special tool to insert the anchoring rivet into the metal panel. You can have two sets of hooks installed. The $65 covered installing both sets. Of course, if those handy little bags are discontinued.................
Regarding that tint, you may want to go no darker than 85% if you plan on seeing well out the back window. I have 95% tint and I really can't discern much through those windows. (I like my privacy!)

Reactions: MikeinEDH

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great to have you here. The silver looks great. I'm sure you will find a fun and informed community here.
Thank you for the welcome. I'be already found a couple of treasures buried within. I've never cared for silvery cars before, but the slate silver is such an intriguing shade, what with that greenish grey cast set within. I nearly opted for that metallic charcoal grey, but wifey reminded me how much dust and pollen we have blowin' around out here. She spoils all the fun...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't my avatar look like it needs a cigar hangin' out?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Hey Mike,
[Edited for Clarity]
Regarding that tint, you may want to go no darker than 85% if you plan on seeing well out the back window. I have 95% tint and I really can't discern much through those windows. (I like my privacy!)
Alan,

On the east coast we measure the inverse. We measure how much light comes through. So I guess in your case you 5%, which is really dark. I got 15% in the back and 35% on the sides. I find the 15% to be fairly dark, but still usable. Also we have state laws that specify the front sides must be 35% and no less. Of course, many friends just roll down their windows when the cops drive by. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Alan,

On the east coast we measure the inverse. We measure how much light comes through. So I guess in your case you 5%, which is really dark. I got 15% in the back and 35% on the sides. I find the 15% to be fairly dark, but still usable. Also we have state laws that specify the front sides must be 35% and no less. Of course, many friends just roll down their windows when the cops drive by. :)

Laws, laws, laws. Sometimes....
I'm not sure what the regulations are in Ca but will find out. When I lived in Texas, you could tint everything but the windshield. I still have a vehicle that came out here from Texas and it has full tint. For 6 years. So, not sure if I want to go ahead and take a chance at doing to two front side windows or not. Me thinks I will. Maybe.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Laws, laws, laws. Sometimes....
I'm not sure what the regulations are in Ca but will find out. When I lived in Texas, you could tint everything but the windshield. I still have a vehicle that came out here from Texas and it has full tint. For 6 years. So, not sure if I want to go ahead and take a chance at doing to two front side windows or not. Me thinks I will. Maybe.
I live in Austin, and we have the same regulations now as Summest. We can go 15% in rear, but front sides need to be 35%. That's what I had done on my TLX.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Mike, you are correct in conveying the percentage of allowable light as the current standard. Over thirty years ago I sold new and used (now "pre-owned") cars for a nice living. Window tinting in CA was uncommon and we conveyed it in inverse terms from today. Yes, I am old school...

Perhaps this should be a "sticky" on the window tint thread. It covers reflective and non-reflective tint laws for each state.

California Car Window Tint Laws (2015)

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fortunately there is electric tint, good for those that have aggressive tint laws... see a cop, flick tints off :D

Sure beats what I had to do when I was in my teens, rolled down windows just so cops wont both us... the struggle of having super dark tints

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bag Hooks

Alan,

Good to hear your thoughts on the bag hook install. I plan to get a pair too at the first service. Thanks for filling us in.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts