Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in my late 50's and recently owned a variety of domestic cars and trucks. Last Japanese products I had were a 1980 240SX and '86 Dodge D50 pickup.

Test drove Sonata, Accord, LaCrosse, Outback, CRV, Impala, Altima and TLX. Picked up a White/Espresso 2.4L Tech package TLX two weeks ago. Liked the ride and relative quiet of the TLX over the Accord. Still getting used to everything, especially the Nav/Audio/Phone system(my last new car was a '97). Just finished the 600 mile break-in driving mountain and coastal 2 lane roads in the Pacific NW. I like the ability to set many different options and am slowly stepping through them to learn.

The TLX value appealed to my engineering side. Although not perfect,(every car is a compromise) I like the combination of features and the way it drives. Probably sportier than what I was looking for, but maybe it will make driving more enjoyable.:D

It is great to have a place to share experiences and information about the car with like-minded people!

Dan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Dan and welcome.

I have been a member of this forum for about a month and really enjoy it. I drove mostly GM cars until 2005 when I traded a Trailblazer that I really liked in on a Honda Accord Hybrid. I was commuting 50 miles one way and the fuel bill was killing me. The Accord was a nice car but for two problems. When I reached my destination I often wondered if my legs would still work. When I retired and my commute stopped the distance driving stopped and I went through three batteries in 14 months because they wouldn't charge. My wife wanted a TL so we drove to our nearest Acura dealer in 2008 and bought her TL. When I started having the battery problems we again went to the Acura dealer and my salesman suggested a lease. I leased a base 2010 TSX. I enjoyed it but did notice a difference in ride between the TL and TSX. Two years later I turned it in and leased a 2012 TSX. This time I decided to go big and leased a TLX Advance. $50 a month more in lease payments but HUGE difference in comfort. I would not consider buying this car because it is 90% computer which will probably be very expensive to repair once warranties run out but it is a great driving experience.

Late 50's huh? I've got about ten years on you. ;)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hi all,

I'm in my late 50's and recently owned a variety of domestic cars and trucks. Last Japanese products I had were a 1980 240SX and '86 Dodge D50 pickup.

Test drove Sonata, Accord, LaCrosse, Outback, CRV, Impala, Altima and TLX. Picked up a White/Espresso 2.4L Tech package TLX two weeks ago. Liked the ride and relative quiet of the TLX over the Accord. Still getting used to everything, especially the Nav/Audio/Phone system(my last new car was a '97). Just finished the 600 mile break-in driving mountain and coastal 2 lane roads in the Pacific NW. I like the ability to set many different options and am slowly stepping through them to learn.

The TLX value appealed to my engineering side. Although not perfect,(every car is a compromise) I like the combination of features and the way it drives. Probably sportier than what I was looking for, but maybe it will make driving more enjoyable.:D

It is great to have a place to share experiences and information about the car with like-minded people!

Dan
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post is an introduction and a good one at that. It's always nice to get the background story and learn about someone else's experience.

Wow driving `97 and moving into a 21st century car in 2015! Must be a major awaking. Even with buying cars on a 3 or 4 year basis, I still found there is an awful lot of tech in the tech package. I can imagine I would have been still been learning stuff if I got the advance package. Although, I am still surprised when a hidden tidbit of information shows up to surprise me about the tech package. Enjoy the tech and take it slow.

Enjoy your driving on the roads of the Pacific NW. (I know I do when I get the chance.)

I am glad to see @Wade gave you a friendly, warm welcome.

Continue to enjoy your TLX and let us know if you find any hidden features.
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

...for the warm welcome!

Interesting to see how many folks lease new models now. I understand what you mean Wade about all the electronics influencing your decision on that. Things are changing so fast that it would be nice to have a new vehicle every 3 years just to take advantage of the advances.

I tend to over analyze car purchases, but enjoy the research process. Took me about 5 years to decide what to get. The new TLX seemed to meet most of my needs. I've been keeping up with latest phone and computer operating systems, not so with cars. The TLX was a huge step up for me and I really like it so far. As I try different things with the tech pkg will likely have questions for the forum about how to do what I want. Looking forward to it, all part of the trip. :nerd:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome aboard! Just some TLX friends here...

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is my third lease and I enjoy it. I couldn't lease before I retired due to a rather lengthy commute but now I can enjoy it. Previously leased two base TSXs because I didn't feel I needed a bigger car (TL) as my wife has a 2008 TL that she absolutely will not part with. Salesman recommended driving the leased car more and save wear and tear on the owned car. Made sense to me so this time I went big with the TLX advance package. There is a lot to learn on this car and probably won't be close to mastering it before it's time for a new one. >:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts