Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought a new 2015 SH-AWD V6 TLX with the Advance package a few weeks ago. It has a graphite luster metallic exterior, with an ebony interior. Have to say I am really enjoying this car. I normally don't buy new cars - I usually buy them when they are ~2 years old or so. But the TLX caught my attention. I live in Arizona, but actually bought the car in Southern California while I was vacationing out there in early March. For whatever reason, I seemed to get better quotes from some of the dealers there, and SoCal seemed to have the package/color I wanted.

The drive back home from California in the new TLX was quite the amazing experience. The features in this car are amazing. There are still many things about this car that I am still learning, so I look forward to learning from many of you on this forum!

-David

·
Registered
666 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Must have been a really nice journey home, I am so envious. I love driving in Arizona and will have to see if I can rent a TLX on my next visit. My best experience there was an 2009 A6 many years ago.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hi all,

Just bought a new 2015 SH-AWD V6 TLX with the Advance package a few weeks ago. It has a graphite luster metallic exterior, with an ebony interior. Have to say I am really enjoying this car. I normally don't buy new cars - I usually buy them when they are ~2 years old or so. But the TLX caught my attention. I live in Arizona, but actually bought the car in Southern California while I was vacationing out there in early March. For whatever reason, I seemed to get better quotes from some of the dealers there, and SoCal seemed to have the package/color I wanted.

The drive back home from California in the new TLX was quite the amazing experience. The features in this car are amazing. There are still many things about this car that I am still learning, so I look forward to learning from many of you on this forum!

-David
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post is an introduction.

Congratulations on your TLX purchase. That is a good drive. I love driving around the US and that is a scenic route. If you have any good trip photos, please feel free to share. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, taxes were actually 1% higher in CA (9%) versus 8% in AZ. But the difference in sales price more than made up for it.

I'll see if I can post some pictures soon. It is dusty here in Arizona, so my graphite luster metallic already has a fine layer of dirt and I'm too nervous to take it to the car wash yet! (Even with the "car wash mode"). So I'll probably end up hand-washing it for a while... :)

I'm very happy with the TLX. Still trying to figure out what mode to drive in around town (I drive only 3 miles to work). I seem to be narrowing in on Sport mode as my favorite. By the way, I was in Economy mode for the drive from CA to AZ, and got 34 miles/gallon, so I was pretty happy with that!

There are still a lot of things I haven't quite figured out. Part of me wonders if I just need to learn more. The other part of me worries that things might not be working perfectly. I've been searching around the forum to learn more. Here are a few examples of things I still haven't figured out:
- The audio system sounds great, but overall it sounds really "lite" and clean. The bass isn't as strong as my previous Bose system. The mids/highs are really nice though.
- The seat ventilation (a MUST in Arizona) seems to make noises when it is turned on - a small whining noise. Perhaps the fan motor? Plus, it doesn't cool as much as I hoped.
- Still trying to figure out the Driver1 and Driver2 presets
- The adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, and all of the other safety features are really cool. I've been playing with those and getting used to them

When I get more time, I'll try to post most and do a little more research.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations.

There are others on the forum who have complained about the audio system as well. There is a work around involving changing a setting in one of the system menus that seems to help quite a bit.

As far as the fine dust goes, have you ever tired a California Duster? It's a great tool that I've been using for years. You just "dust" the car with it in between car washes. Might save you washing it just for dust.

http://www.calcarduster.com/originalduster.asp

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andre12dbsi: thanks for the pointer on the California Duster! I may try that! The dark gray seems to show the dust quite a bit. Of course, I may be hypersensitive given that this is a brand new car...

Do you have a link to the discussion about the audio system workaround?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been struggling with the bass too. Even without the engine running. The fancy ELS system just doesn't seem to reproduce low end as well as the system that was in the old RL. Turning Neural DTS on helped a little.

Maybe some of you with better ears than I can share the settings you use?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome!

have to admit I have had no issues with bass etc, so i didn't mess with the controls other than the balance etc.

Just so I understand: you GO on vacation AND buy new wheels while there? Do you offer online lessons to teach us how to do that?

>:D

Enjoy the ride!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I've been struggling with the bass too. Even without the engine running. The fancy ELS system just doesn't seem to reproduce low end as well as the system that was in the old RL. Turning Neural DTS on helped a little.

Maybe some of you with better ears than I can share the settings you use?
I found an old clip from a post from October of last year. I haven't adjusted my system since, except for volume.

On the sound settings though, I asked my DJ friend to set mine. All settings were defaulted to C and he said that the center channel was way over powered. He backed it down to -2. Subwoofer to +2. Bass to +2. Fader -1. It sounds great for contempory jazz. As with beauty is to sight, sound is in the ear of the beholder.
:)

p.s. I did have DTS Neural on then and now but forgot to list it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found an old clip from a post from October of last year. I haven't adjusted my system since, except for volume.

On the sound settings though, I asked my DJ friend to set mine. All settings were defaulted to C and he said that the center channel was way over powered. He backed it down to -2. Subwoofer to +2. Bass to +2. Fader -1. It sounds great for contempory jazz. As with beauty is to sight, sound is in the ear of the beholder.
:)

p.s. I did have DTS Neural on then and now but forgot to list it.
Thanks! I will try these out. I will say that the one HD classical station in my area does sound pretty good. Its the more contemporary music that seems lacking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.