Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal with this car is to keep it clean, and have all the mods add to the car rather than cheapen it. That being said, I went with 20" wheels. They are the Ground Force line of wheels by MRR designs. I went with a staggered fitment for an aggressive look, but I wasn't happy with the stretched look with the first set of tires I had on them. I was running 225/35/20 on the front which is a 9" wide wheel and 275/30/20 on the rear which is a 10.5" wide wheel. I ended up with 245/35/20 on the front and 285/30/20 on the rears. I'm much happier with the new tire setup, it doesn't have that much of a stretched look to it.

I liked the new tires but they still didn't help the overall look I wanted, so I ordered some D2 RS Coilovers. Got them installed last weekend and took some quick shots.:D My next objective, I want to get rid of all the exterior chrome accents, I can't stand it. I already have the vinyl, some 1080 series by 3M. I'm also looking into getting my roof vinyled. I wanted to try it myself, but the sharkfin has got me worried, so I'm hoping a professional can handle it well.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Not entirely liking the wheel but I like your stance and sizing of wheel. Perfect mix of getting low and fitted enough but not too much that it woulnd't be daily-able on rough city streets that you'd find in places like New York for example

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
very nice! do you have any rubbing issues with the 245/35's up front?
No rubbing at all. I was honestly more worried about the rears, with the 285. You can see in the picture, the day I got them, I wasn't sure if they were too wide. With the coilovers, they come so close to rubbing. I've taken it on the dips on the freeway to test it and there is nothing. I love the pre-rolled fenders that Acura has done. In my WRX I had to roll and pull to get a desired tire and wheel combo.:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I like the wheels. I think they look good but aren't too in your face.

So your plan is to black out all the chrome? I've seen it before and it can look really good. More power to you man.

·
Registered
979 Posts
No rubbing at all. I was honestly more worried about the rears, with the 285. You can see in the picture, the day I got them, I wasn't sure if they were too wide. With the coilovers, they come so close to rubbing. I've taken it on the dips on the freeway to test it and there is nothing. I love the pre-rolled fenders that Acura has done. In my WRX I had to roll and pull to get a desired tire and wheel combo.:nerd:
i thought i was the only one who noticed the already rolled fenders lolol

your rims are much wider than mine, i only have 8.5 width so good to know that they won't rub, i'm only going with the 1" drop rsr springs for now until some more coilovers come out so based on your car i should be good :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not bad at all.

Hope you don't have cop trouble with how much your wheels stick out as I know some folks (not on this forum) have been having those run in's.
I'm not sure what you mean... If you're talking about people getting in trouble for running aggressive offsets, I have never heard of that. Even if so, I highly doubt Oakland police will care at all. They wont even show up to an accident unless someone was injured. lol

But I would like to know if people have gotten in trouble for it. That's pretty interesting.

I like the wheels. I think they look good but aren't too in your face.

So your plan is to black out all the chrome? I've seen it before and it can look really good. More power to you man.
Thanks! That's what I'm going for.

i thought i was the only one who noticed the already rolled fenders lolol

your rims are much wider than mine, i only have 8.5 width so good to know that they won't rub, i'm only going with the 1" drop rsr springs for now until some more coilovers come out so based on your car i should be good :D
I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have experience rolling fenders before. I really like that they added that for those of us who like to mod our cars. Do you have pics of your setup?

I almost went with the RSR springs. I went with coilovers because I wanted to be able to adjust the ride height. I really like the drop of the RSR though.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have experience rolling fenders before. I really like that they added that for those of us who like to mod our cars. Do you have pics of your setup?

I almost went with the RSR springs. I went with coilovers because I wanted to be able to adjust the ride height. I really like the drop of the RSR though.
i only noticed it when i was washing the car, thought it was a great feature not only to fit wheels, but that's where the old 90's hondas and acuras would rust. looks like they might have gotten rid of that problem.

i just picked up my rims last week. they came off of my buddies lexus, so i have to get the center bore drilled out bigger, i ordered my tires just waiting on those to come in, still have to order the TPMS sensors and order and install the springs. i'm just going to use the springs until buddy club comes out with a street coilover; a friend had them on his TSX and they rode so nice just like stock and he was slammed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's going to look so good! What's the brand? Also what tires did you go with?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I took some shots yesterday while I was out running errands before the Warriors game. I think I might lower it a quarter of an inch more, I'm still debating.

(edit) for some reason uploading these from my phone turned the quality down quite a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took some shots yesterday while I was out running errands before the Warriors game. I think I might lower it a quarter of an inch more, I'm still debating.

(edit) for some reason uploading these from my phone turned the quality down quite a bit.
Hey bro so I can see you rims what are the exact dimensions on the so they are 20x9 in the front whats the offset you ran? Also the rears are 20x10.5 with no issues right? What was the offset there? Also I just bought a 2015 TLX FWD 2.4 Tech Package and these wheels would fit i really like them. looking at the silver ones my self since the car is a Graphite Luster Metallicso silver would look good. Can you tell me where you got your rims and tires from bro thanks!

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's going to look so good! What's the brand? Also what tires did you go with?
Thanks! the brand is braelin, i ordered some falken azenis FK453's 245-35-20's. reason for that size was that i was trying to fill up a bit of that wheel gap with tire since i'll only be going with the 1" drop for now. tires also cost a bit more up here compared to the states, about $2-$300 more, infact, may people drive across the boarder and get their tires changed and come back. i'll admit i did this a few times with race tires for my integra.

dude car is sitting nice! another 1/4" or 1/2" will make the car sit nicely on the wheels IMO but it looks good now too. i vote go the 1/4", that's the beauty of getting coils.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think yours looks good at the current height. I'm north of 40 though so......
Thanks, I understand fully. For some reason, it looks lower in the pictures than it does in person.

Hey bro so I can see you rims what are the exact dimensions on the so they are 20x9 in the front whats the offset you ran? Also the rears are 20x10.5 with no issues right? What was the offset there? Also I just bought a 2015 TLX FWD 2.4 Tech Package and these wheels would fit i really like them. looking at the silver ones my self since the car is a Graphite Luster Metallicso silver would look good. Can you tell me where you got your rims and tires from bro thanks!
Hi Tarun, there is another guy on Acurazine that has the same color car as you running the exact same wheels as me, only in silver, like what you want to get. My offset for the fronts are +35, and the rears are +45. No issues at all, I check every day just in case I need to change the offset. The fronts could actually be closer to +30 and a square tire and you probably still wont rub. You can always go more aggressive on the offset if you don't mind stretched tires. I'll post a picture of the car, but the photo belongs to the user vilolyf on Acurazine, and I claim no rights to it.

Thanks! the brand is braelin, i ordered some falken azenis FK453's 245-35-20's. reason for that size was that i was trying to fill up a bit of that wheel gap with tire since i'll only be going with the 1" drop for now. tires also cost a bit more up here compared to the states, about $2-$300 more, infact, may people drive across the boarder and get their tires changed and come back. i'll admit i did this a few times with race tires for my integra.

dude car is sitting nice! another 1/4" or 1/2" will make the car sit nicely on the wheels IMO but it looks good now too. i vote go the 1/4", that's the beauty of getting coils.
That's funny that you mention the crossing the border for some savings. I have a friend I always visit in Seattle and when I do we usually drive up to Vancouver in B.C. People there will drive across the border just to get cheaper gas, and I totally understand why too. Plus most of those people have that passport card, so they don't have to wait in those long lines. :cool:

In my opinion 245 is the best width for an 8.5" wide rim. I know it will look good with the squared tires on those rims. I can't wait to see them mounted!

I'm going to let my coilovers settle a bit before I make my decision, they may settle to where I want to on their own... We shall see though.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oh yea that's a good point, the coils will probably settle another 1/4" on their own. I've always been a fan of white with black wheels. What suspension is that grey tlx you posted on? That looks like a really nice daily driven height

·
Registered
979 Posts
hey question for you about your coilovers. how do you like them? do they ride like stock or are they way more stiff? i'm considering a set now because springs just don't seem like the logical way to go.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Also curious about the D2. How makes them, quality, adjust ability, etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts