Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I changed out my rear brake pads on my ‘16 TLX V6. In the process I dropped my parking brake acuatice and it cracked in all the important places. I ordered another one from the dealer and installed it today. After installing it my car is still throwing up the Check Parking Brake/Brake Hold messages and it doesn’t seem this actuator is functioning on that side of the car, while the other appears to be working. Also, when in drive, the car is telling me to release the parking brake.. but it is released.

anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
Those electronic Parking brakes can be fussy. Check all the wires/connectors associated with that side of the car/tire. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke with a technician at my local dealer. He said that the parking brake should be placed in maintenance mode through a scan tool prior to doing a rear pad swap. He said to disconnect the actuators, put into maintenance mode, connect actuators, disable maintenance mode, and All will be good. He said I would need a scanner tool to do it, but didn’t know if the cheap ones can. Anyone know how to access the ABS menu with a OBD tool??

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
Yes, this is the correct procedure by using a scan tool. This is a good lesson for everyone when it comes time to do the rear brakes. Either have a scan tool or take it back to the dealer. Most independent shops should have the necessary scan tool too.

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
Is this "scan tool" a common item that the garage mechanic could get?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well.... crap! Sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad to see it posted. I've done my own brakes on every vehicle I've owned, and has no idea that the rears on the TLX had this special requirement. Thus will need further investigation.

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
Is this "scan tool" a common item that the garage mechanic could get?
Scan tools are very common and most all techs have their own. The price ranges from $100 to $2000 depending what options you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts