Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

This past Monday I picked up a CPO ‘21 A-Spec SH-AWD in Performance Red Pearl. 17k miles on it, and the dealer had the car at $7k less than a new one.

Absolutely love the car, I spent this weekend doing a full paint correction and ceramic coating the car. Acura did a great job styling this car, both inside and out.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Wheel

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Plant Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
345 Posts
Hey everyone,

This past Monday I picked up a CPO ‘21 A-Spec SH-AWD in Performance Red Pearl. 17k miles on it, and the dealer had the car at $7k less than a new one.

Absolutely love the car, I spent this weekend doing a full paint correction and ceramic coating the car. Acura did a great job styling this car, both inside and out.
Man...I wish I had one like that. :)

BTW...great car!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW!!!! Great job with the paint.
Thanks, it was about 10 hours to wash, clay bar, compound, polish, and ceramic coat. Worth it though, as the car looks so damn good.

Man...I wish I had one like that. :)

BTW...great car!
Thanks, I’ve had the car for a week and really am happy with my purchase. It’s really a nice vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
296 Posts
Congrats! That Performance Red Pearl is stunning!! Also did it come debadged? Nice TLX! My next TLX might have to be in PRP instead of TEP

welcome to the TLX Forums! Enjoy it and keep us updated on the new mods and changes you make to the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats! That Performance Red Pearl is stunning!! Also did it come debadged? Nice TLX! My next TLX might have to be in PRP instead of TEP

welcome to the TLX Forums! Enjoy it and keep us updated on the new mods and changes you make to the car.
Thank you, I’m really liking the PRP paint. And no, I debadged the rear of the car prior to doing the paint correction. It was easy to pop the badges off.

I’m not a big fan of a lot of badges on cars, so typically the first thing I do when I bring it home is pull the badges off of it.

·
Super Moderator
296 Posts
Thank you, I’m really liking the PRP paint. And no, I debadged the rear of the car prior to doing the paint correction. It was easy to pop the badges off.

I’m not a big fan of a lot of badges on cars, so typically the first thing I do when I bring it home is pull the badges off of it.
No badges makes for a really clean look, and either way with the new TLXs whether the badges are on or not trust me people will walk up to you and ask you what it is. Cause for some reason it’s not a common car you see on the road. 😭

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,124 Posts
Hey everyone,

Your car is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: ijm5012

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
345 Posts
How did you remove the emblem's shadow "outline"? I can still see where they were after removal.
I'm guessing that you didn't wash your car, clay bar the car, hit it with polishing compound and finish up with a Ceramic coat. The clay bar will remove most contaminants in the surface of the paint, which is what you are seeing with the "outline". Polishing compound would finish it off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you remove the emblem's shadow "outline"? I can still see where they were after removal.
After removing the decals, I did a wipe with Mineral Spirits to get off any remaining glue residue, then did a full paint correction.

Having said that, you could remove, wipe with mineral spirits, and just hit it with a general car polish and it would take care of the witness marks you see on your car today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well stupid me had the car paint corrected and ceramic coated and then decided to remove the emblems. I did use some rubbing compound and it got rid of most of it. Now the places where the emblems were are not ceramic coated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well stupid me had the car paint corrected and ceramic coated and then decided to remove the emblems. I did use some rubbing compound and it got rid of most of it. Now the places where the emblems were are not ceramic coated.
Just hit it with a spray-on ceramic detailer.

I do an entire entire ceramic coating on the car to establish a base coat, but then will just regularly use a ceramic car soap, and ceramic detailing spray to keep the coating “topped up”, and it does a great job of keeping the water beading and the paint protected.

Taking the badges off was literally the first thing I did when I got the car home, I hate badges on the back of the car. It just looks so much cleaner without them IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just hit it with a spray-on ceramic detailer.
TIL about spray-on ceramic detailer. Time for me to hit the parts shop.

I also picked up a red A-Spec like yours this weekend. They talked me into the ceramic coat, and it'll be my first car with ceramic. Any "gotchas" I need to look out for?

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but that's my black FK7, in the middle of loading all my crap into the TLX:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I also picked up a red A-Spec like yours this weekend. They talked me into the ceramic coat, and it'll be my first car with ceramic. Any "gotchas" I need to look out for?

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but that's my black FK7, in the middle of loading all my crap into the TLX:
No gotchas with ceramic coatings really. It’s essentially a really durable wax

I personally like Sonax products, and they make a Ceramic detailing spray. But Meguiars also has a hybrid ceramic spray as well, and you can’t go wrong with Meguiars.

I realize you’re still in the honeymoon phase with your TLX, and it’s certainly a lot faster than the Civic was, but what are your thoughts on cargo storage vs the Civic? What about the second row seats?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I realize you’re still in the honeymoon phase with your TLX, and it’s certainly a lot faster than the Civic was, but what are your thoughts on cargo storage vs the Civic? What about the second row seats?
The back seat room is pretty comparable, though the headroom is tighter in the TLX. I need to find out if the TLX's feature on the driver's seat, which can automatically slide rearward when you turn off the car, can be told to not slide rearward if somebody's sitting in the back.

The cargo storage... well, that's a tradeoff that wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be. I took along one of our big suitcases and my tuba to do some test fitting. I wasn't expecting the TLX's trunk space to be so much longer than the Civic's seats-up hatch space. I learned that I can possibly fit two big suitcases in the trunk of the TLX, whereas I could only kinda fit one in the back of the Civic without folding the seats down.

For the tuba, I can fit the case across the passenger seats reasonably well, but it won't go into the trunk. However, I often carry it without the case (the case sucks to drag around a school campus or concert facility), and it fits fine in the trunk. This was my "make it or break it" test, and if the TLX had failed, I don't think I would've bought a car at all this year.

I also looked at the Integra. It's very nice, but I didn't think it was nicer-enough than my top-trim Civic to be worth the hassle and money of buying a new car. The only practical upgrades would've been adjustable lumbar support, simpler HVAC controls, and some more power. The Integra's cargo area is harder to use because of the high liftover height, so it's not really an improvement.

It's going to take some time for me to get used to a sedan, I think. I've owned Honda hatchbacks for over thirty years. But man, the TLX is nice to drive, isn't it?

Car Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
…But man, the TLX is nice to drive, isn't it?
So the seat moving when you power the car off, it can either be turned on, or turned off. There is no, “slide if nobody is in the back seat, but not if somebody is”. I turned it off because the front door is big enough that I don’t need the extra room to get out (and I’m tall at 6’4”).

Sloping rear roofline is a problem once you get someone over 6’ in the back seat, but you’ve gotta really hate that person to make them sit back there. And the sloping roofline helps give the TLX its profile.

The trunk volume is good, my gripe with it is that the opening isnt very big. I can’t get my insulated cooler in the trunk of my TLX, whereas I could with my 2008 Civic Si sedan.

I really wish Acura would’ve done a lift back design. There are others in the class that do it (A5 Sportback, 4 series Gran Coupe, VW Arteon), and it would’ve allowed them to keep the same profile, but provide a more usable cargo area for awkwardly shaped items.

The car does drive great though. Really engaging to drive, interior and exterior look is fantastic. And people have reported that a K Tuner and built-in Stage 2 tune really does a lot to wake the engine up, without having a real effect on the gas mileage (not that it’s that great to begin with, due to how heavy the car is).

Overall, I really like the TLX. The fuel mileage I can live with, the rear seat and limited rear door opening, I guess we’ll see how that goes over time, because I really would’ve liked for an extra 2-3 inches in legroom given how long the car is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really wish Acura would’ve done a lift back design. There are others in the class that do it (A5 Sportback, 4 series Gran Coupe, VW Arteon), and it would’ve allowed them to keep the same profile, but provide a more usable cargo area for awkwardly shaped items.
Ditto for me. Large liftbacks are a rare species outside of the Germans, and I'm not going to spend that much money on a car.

·
Super Moderator
296 Posts

View attachment 28066
Congrats on your TLX A-Spec looks sooo good in Performance Red Pearl… nothing like moving all your things to your new car it’s a good feeling if you ask me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts