Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the plastic trim around the seat bottom cushion gets more stress with normal use than the Acura engineer expected. A piece of broke off mine this weekend, after 9 months of ownership. It is at a mounting point just above the seat control switches. The broken part of trim has a curved tab which clearly is intended to support the trim on the square metal loop below. I think from repeatedly leaning to the left to reach the open door and close it after getting in, more pressure than anticipated transfers to the plastic, stressing this mounting point.

If I have the part replaced under warranty, I don't want to have it break again after similar use.

I am wondering if I am the first of our members to experience this problem, and if it is known to be a defectively weak part or a recognized design issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
Pictures would be appreciated.
I do notice that I do need to lean out quite a bit to grab the door to close it.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Thanks Andre12dbsi for pointing me to this post.

What started out as a white circle became broken plastic. I called into service and they said I am not the first. Apparently. This is covered under warranty.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Great news @Summest A question to the dealer might be what the fix is. If they're just replacing with the same piece of plastic you're probably going to have the same issue over time.
He told me that they will bend the protruding part down and out of the way. (He said the robot did not get that instruction, when it should have.) Then they will replace the entire bottom piece of the plastic.

I ordered about a week and a half ago. I called in and left a reminder today to let me know the status. His last order for this came in within 3 to 5 days.

Guess I should check the passenger side. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
He told me that they will bend the protruding part down and out of the way. (He said the robot did not get that instruction, when it should have.) Then they will replace the entire bottom piece of the plastic.

I ordered about a week and a half ago. I called in and left a reminder today to let me know the status. His last order for this came in within 3 to 5 days.

Guess I should check the passenger side. :eek:
Good news that they have a fix for it. Based on what I can see from the pictures, that should resolve the pressure on the plastic piece. I wonder if it's just a case of that piece coming in contact with the plastic when the seat is at its lowest position otherwise you would see it more widespread across the platform you would think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2015 TLX SH-AWD. I took it to Rosenthal Acura and said they would NOT replace it under warranty. Seriously? This is a design flaw on Acura's part. I'm going to print this out and show them that other Acura dealerships are fixing the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 TLX, out of warranty, dealership maintenance adviser will get back to me on if they will "good will" cover the part, which in my mind if they don't do I'm not inclined to buy another Acura, I mean I'm not inclined already [capless gas tube has broken and will be $700 to fix] so we will see how much "good will" they will be dishing out to keep a customer. Will it be a hey they take care of their customers and make things right or will it be a I will never buy another Acura ever again situation.

·
Super Moderator
857 Posts
My 2015 is out of warranty. I got the crease marking on the seat trim a few weeks ago. I took a picture of it and then downloaded a few of the pictures of the crease marking from this website along with a few pictures of it broken out (mine has not broken out yet). I sent an email to the service manager of our local Acura dealer. Keep in mind that I NEVER bring my vehicle in for normal maintenance (I do it myself). So my specific service record at the dealership is likely only a page or less. Anyway, I sent these pictures to the service manager and said (very politely) that my TLX has developed this problem that most other TLX vehicles have and would very much appreciate it if they can apply the Acura TSB fix to my car too. The next day the service manager called me up and said that they would do a ‘Goodwill Adjustment’ and would repair my vehicle. I made an appointment and will be bringing it in next week.

Keep in mind that just because this service manager decided to Goodwill Adjust this repair, does not mean any other service manager must also do it. As a former service manager, a Goodwill adjustment is completely discretionary. They consider your service maintenance record, mileage, vehicle condition, likelihood of buying another Acura, time out of warranty, and how polite you are. Assholes (rude, demanding or threatening people) rarely get Goodwill Adjustments. Also keep in mind that service advisors, parts managers, body shop managers or even the general manager CANNOT give Goodwill adjustments; this power is only allowed with the service manager.

I hope the above helps a bit for others who have this seat problem. Service managers work about 60 hours a week and their job is very stressful. They will bend over backwards to help someone, but do not want to deal with a rude, demanding or threatening customer making their day worse. Their way to deal with these customers is to just say NO.

The above is not a guarantee that any service manager will give you a Goodwill Adjustment, but follow the above steps and it will certainly help.

Reactions: gary325

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here, but out of warranty when I bought it last year. I'll see about the goodwill fix, but will likely resort to bending the metal myself and re-gluing the plastic in place.

·
Super Moderator
857 Posts
I got mine fixed last week as a Good Will Adjustment and cost me zero. I asked the service advisor what type of fix they intend to do. He said that they only intend to replace the trim piece. I asked him why it won’t happen again in the future? He said it may or may not. I asked him if they make any adjustment to the seat frame to keep pressure off this trim piece? He said that he is not aware of any special fix for the seat frame for keeping it from rubbing on the trim. He said that he is aware of many customer that have come back many times to get this trim piece replaced.

My only suggestion to get it fixed is to be very friendly and polite. If one dealership service manager refuses, then just go to another one.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
@Crashmaster , I have the same vehicle (as you) and probably the same mileage (61k miles). I have not seen any indication of this defect. There is about 210# going in and out of the seat daily! The seat position is quite high as I like my legs not stretched out (more upright in the seat). I'll keep and eye out for this "common" issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Andre12dbsi for pointing me to this post.

What started out as a white circle became broken plastic. I called into service and they said I am not the first. Apparently. This is covered under warranty.
I HAVE JUST HAD THE SAME ISSUE HAPPENED TO MY 2018 TLX... STARTED AS HAIRLINE crack and has finally the same shape piece of plastic fell to the floorboard. just got off phone and called dealer in arlington, tx said they will replace the first time aroung !!! dah !!! so even in 2018 models has not been fixed !!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2015 TLX, out of warranty, dealership maintenance adviser will get back to me on if they will "good will" cover the part, which in my mind if they don't do I'm not inclined to buy another Acura, I mean I'm not inclined already [capless gas tube has broken and will be $700 to fix] so we will see how much "good will" they will be dishing out to keep a customer. Will it be a hey they take care of their customers and make things right or will it be a I will never buy another Acura ever again situation.
Did they fix the trim piece on your seat? Same issue here ...dearship in Marietta not wanting to cover and my car only has 35000 miles on it -

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,095 Posts
Did they fix the trim piece on your seat? Same issue here ...dearship in Marietta not wanting to cover and my car only has 35000 miles on it -
Welcome to the forum! Did the dealer say why they won't cover it? 35000 miles should still be under warranty unless you've eclipsed the 4 year old mark.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts