Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to introduce myself.
I'm Gary from Rochester, New York. Nowhere near New York City!
The Toronto members may recall the "Fast Ferry" that went from Rochester to Toronto for a summer or two. I never got to take a ride before it folded and we sold the ship to Australia!!

I have been following the TLX since it was announced. Was anxious to get a firsthand look at the only Acura dealer in Rochester. (There is one in Buffalo and Syracuse).

My username is a throwback to my first "luxury" car, a 1984 BMW 325e. I had plenty of track time at Watkins Glen in my younger days. I stopped after I spun out in turn one and almost t-boned the guard rail! It was fun lapping the track loosing the Corvettes in the turns, but allowing them to pass on the straights!!

I'm an Engineer and have followed the auto industry closely. Was not too happy with C-net's review of the TLX (Link at their site takes you to a Suburban review). Thought they were too shallow compared to other cars that they have reviewed. I do like Cooley and his style of journalism. MotorWeek had some nice praises for the TLX. Others keeps bashing Acura/Honda on "loosing" their way! The airbag fiasco does not help.

I have an insider at Honda! My daughter works at the Marysville plant in Quality. I had a tour of the manufacturing line last October. The Accord sedan consumes one of the two lines while the other is shared with the TLX and the Accord coupe. Believe me that they are all about Quality.

I'm shopping for a V6 Advance. I have narrowed it down to:
Graphite Luster Metallic/Ebony
or
Black Copper Pearl/Espresso

They are both on the lot, but nearby construction has coated them all with a layer of dirt. I also need to take my wife for a ride as she has not been inside one yet. I got the green light from her to get it as long as it has Nav!!

I'll be scouring all the posts and may do some follow-up on some that may be dated, but I'm always looking for opinions and clarifications.

See you around!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welcome aboard fella! Sounds like you have some pretty good insider experiences there having seen the factory!
Good luck in your decision!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Wanted to introduce myself.
I'm Gary from Rochester, New York. Nowhere near New York City!
[Edited for reply]
I have an insider at Honda! My daughter works at the Marysville plant in Quality. I had a tour of the manufacturing line last October. The Accord sedan consumes one of the two lines while the other is shared with the TLX and the Accord coupe. Believe me that they are all about Quality.
[Edited for reply]
I'm shopping for a V6 Advance. I have narrowed it down to:
Graphite Luster Metallic/Ebony
or
Black Copper Pearl/Espresso

They are both on the lot, but nearby construction has coated them all with a layer of dirt. I also need to take my wife for a ride as she has not been inside one yet. I got the green light from her to get it as long as it has Nav!!

I'll be scouring all the posts and may do some follow-up on some that may be dated, but I'm always looking for opinions and clarifications.

See you around!!
Gary (@gary325) thanks for taking time to introduce yourself to the group. It's also good to hear the human side of your story.

That is really neat inside information on the Marysville Plant. Do you know if they offer tours to the public?

Both of your color selections are good ones, in my opinion. :)

I find the search tool is very handy, especially to find those posts of interest that scrolled off the front page.

Good luck with your TLX acquisition. Definitely feel free to ask questions to the other members.
Most likely they will answer your question before I get the chance, provided I would have the answer. :)

We are lucky to have many well-educated and experienced car enthusiasts as contributing members.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome. It should be a good time to get a deal as the cars are on the lot and I am sure the dealer wants to move them. You did not indicate if you are going for SH-AWD or P-AWS.

The best color is the BCP and the Expresso interior is a bonus that is not available to Canadians. Test drive the actual car that you will be getting to make sure everything is perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That's an awesome introduction!

Darker cars are a pain to keep clean and maintain but look incredible when they're cleaned up. Any of those colours would be a good choice. I am a bit partial to white though. ;)

Take a look around. There are lots of posts that should help you with your decision.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
When using the Tapatalk app the signatures don't appear. You'd have to go into the person's user profile to see what they have for a signature.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Gary. I am coming up on 2000 miles with my Graphite Luster, Ebony, Advance FWD and love it. I actually look for reasons to drive it.:)

So far the only complaint i have is that most of my trips are too short.::crying::

The graphite does show the dust which is a downer. But then it's just telling you it is time for another bath.;)

The main complaints that I have read about on this forum are transmission issues in one form or another among all of the different packages though I have not experience any. I have only used two of the IDS settings - NORMAL and SPORT and prefer the SPORT setting as the transmission seems a little snappier. You can also select between ECONOMIC and SPORT X. With your background you might enjoy SPORT X. I just checked the average mileage on my current tank and it is 31.5 MPG. Most of this has been "in town driving" under 45 MPH. It makes me wonder what I would get in ECONOMY. Another complaint with the V6-AWD is the involuntary engine shutdown when the car comes to a stop. There is a current thread on here about how to circumvent that. This is something you won't need to worry about with the FWD as that feature is not on the car. Some also don't like the tires though Bridgestones come with the V6 FWD and I haven't found a reason not to like them yet. I guess the one other complaint that I do have is that the TLX does not come with a spare tire. It has a tire repair kit. I have had a flat tire one time in the last 15 years and it was in a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid and it didn't have a spare tire either - just a repair kit. I am sitting on the fence as to whether I want to spring for a spare tire and lose some space in my trunk or not.

I came from a 2012 TSX base to the 2015 TLX Advance and it is quite a change that I don't regret. It is a fun car to drive.:D

Good luck on your decision and join in often.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honda Heritage Center and a guided tour of the Marysville Auto Plant

Gary (@gary325) thanks for taking time to introduce yourself to the group. It's also good to hear the human side of your story.

That is really neat inside information on the Marysville Plant. Do you know if they offer tours to the public?
The Honda Heritage Center is a newly constructed building that houses a small array of historical, current and future products. I went there when I visited the Marysville area.

I was lucky to see the NSX race car (I have a picture, but cannot find a quick way to post it).

Follow this link (same as the Honda Heritage Center link above) to get information about visiting the Honda Heritage Center and a guided tour of the Marysville Auto Plant. This is open to the public but times are limited.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A tour of any plant would be cool to do. Its really amazing how much most cars are actually built by people and not by robots. I worked at the Toyota plant here in Ontario as a student and probably 75% of the work was still by hand.

·
Registered
979 Posts
^back in grade school the class went on a tour of the ford plant i oakville. it was awesome.

Welcome. It should be a good time to get a deal as the cars are on the lot and I am sure the dealer wants to move them. You did not indicate if you are going for SH-AWD or P-AWS.

The best color is the BCP and the Expresso interior is a bonus that is not available to Canadians. Test drive the actual car that you will be getting to make sure everything is perfect.
we didn't? i could have sworn we did no? acura in maple was trying to get me to go with a black/expresso V6 elite, and i saw a white v6 with expresso in the showroom today (which was also an elite with the optional wheels) at barrie acura. perhaps it only came on that trim level.

gary325, i think that you should go for the black/expresso. i thought it was a great color combo, and black looks so good....when it's clean and waxed properly. if you've got the time and patience to maintain a black car properly then i say go for it. actually if you do end up with a black car then i suggest looking into opi-coating it. i did it to my brother's black ridgeline and it really cuts down on the amount of marring that you see most with black cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BCP/Espresso

There was a Black Copper Pearl (BCP)/Espresso in the back lot. I asked to have it washed and made a available for a test drive. I asked this a few days ago! Last night I went to see it and it was still in the back. One ding against the salesman (he did say that Wednesday was his day off and to call if I was coming, but I did not call).
The sun finally came out and the BCP looks great in the sun. Even coated with dirt, I could still see the "other" colors in the paint.
Check on the BCP!!
Open the door: it was unlocked!! Great, we can check out the Espresso interior. The Espresso seemed a little light in the sunlight. The Espresso on the door panels seemed out of place. The Dash is black, headliner gray, seat belts black, seat Espresso, center armrest Espresso (although it appears black on Acura.com). Quite a few differing colors here.

Turning around and looking at the rear seats, all the seat belts were buckled and the "black" strips against the brown seats looked funny as well.
We agreed that this interior is not for us. So I started looking for BCP with Ebony interior. Nothing in the whole USA! Then I found out that only Parchment and Espresso are available with BCP ::crying::
So the other TLX V6 FWD Advance that they have is the Graphite Luster Metallic with Ebony interior.
I asked to have them get this car ready for a test drive.

Time to change my signature below!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I enjoy my graphite luster with ebony package. The only thing, as I indicated earlier, is that it does show dust more quickly but that can also be said for the Crystal Black Pearl and the Black Copper.

I initially test drove a Black Copper with Expresso interior and wasn't impressed with the interior. I have a good history with my salesman so he was aiming to please. He didn't have a Graphite Luster Advance in stock so it took a couple of days to get it. What was interesting is that my dealer is the smaller of two in the Indianapolis area and they went to Louisville to get the car. The same was true for the last TSX that I leased. They must not have a good relationship with their Indianapolis rival. >:D

At the small workshop I attended last week the service manager mentioned the fact that they were a small dealership (27 employees of which 19 work for her) and that they work together as a team. Meaning that any salesman on the floor is willing to talk to me and answer questions whether I buy or have bought the car from him or not. I have no doubt that if I had seen a car on the lot that I wanted to test drive and indicated that to my salesman it would have been ready within 24 hours whether he was working or not.:)

When you go to pick up your car make sure the salesman spends some time with you going through the technology and assisting in helping you set your settings. Mine paired both mine and my wife's cell phones to the car, adjusted our seats for us, and demonstrated some of the features. He even threw my key fob in the trunk and tried to close the trunk to demonstrate that he couldn't lock it. If he just hands you the key fobs and sends you on to the finance manager without doing these other things first then you probably ought to find another salesman.:D

·
Registered
666 Posts
The key fob in the trunk is one of the items that must be on of the salesman training program. They are just being lazy if they do not demonstrate it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
you guys don't get black on black in the states? that sucks, im pretty sure we get them here, there was a black/black v6 that a friend of mine who owns a tuner shop did for the auto show that was for sale at acura dealer that i bought my TSX from. i thought it looked fantastic, it was lowered on d2 coilovers and vossen rims with the oem kit, tint and the optional fog lights.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Colo(u)r Combinations (TLX V6 Elite/Advance only)

I got curious and brought up both sites to build a TLX V6 Advance/Elite
USA
Canada

Why they choose to have differing colo(u)r combinations is beyond me!!
(I am assuming that Fathom = Obsidian (Blue Pearl))

I would prefer a Black Copper Pearl with Ebony interior, but I must move north to get it!!

Why they differentiate (by model too) is a mystery!!

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
From what I have been able to tell, the only difference between the Advance and Elite other than color packages is that the Elite has heated steering wheels and heated windshields that the Advance doesn't have. Which begs the question why wouldn't the Elite be available in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine?:|

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Elite includes all of Advance plus CA Tech:

CA Tech includes (not included in US spec):
Heated steering wheel (not available in any US package)
Power folding side mirrors (not available in any US package)
Remote engine starter (available only in Advance US package)

Cannot find anything about a heated windshields. I had this feature on a European car. Really nice to defrost a frozen windscreen. Blowing heated air (that is not hot at first) is so inefficient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Elite includes all of Advance plus CA Tech:

CA Tech includes (not included in US spec):
Heated steering wheel (not available in any US package)
Power folding side mirrors (not available in any US package)
Remote engine starter (available only in Advance US package)

Cannot find anything about a heated windshields. I had this feature on a European car. Really nice to defrost a frozen windscreen. Blowing heated air (that is not hot at first) is so inefficient.
Page 173 of the Owner's guide (CD ROM). The heated windshield automatically activates at -3 C and deactivates at -6 C. There is also a switch located on the steering wheel to activate it. The other feature available on Canadian vehicles is the headlight washer that is not available on US models.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have never used the CD ROM, but the Handbook says below 4C and deactivates at 6C. This matches my experience in the car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts