Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the deposit for a Black/Expresso V6 SH-AWD Tech TLX yesterday!

I'm a long time Acura owner, owned 05' TSX, 08' MDX, and currently driving a 12' MDX, also owned a 08' Infiniti G37S coupe.

I was thinking to order a tlx i4 at first, because it's cheaper, fuel efficiency, and I like the SHIFTIER! I don't even know where should I put my right hand without the shiftier.
But consider the horrible Canadian winter and I have to drive a lot of highway, I guess SH-AWD is a must for me, so finally go for a V6 SH-AWD tech.

Did anyone hears from your sales saying all the current model Acuras (TLX, MDX, RDX) are OK with regular fuel, they said the premium is only recommended, but not required. The Canadian premium gas price is just insane, $.16/L higher than regular gas. It's just killing me every time I fill up my MDX.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Did anyone hears from your sales saying all the current model Acuras (TLX, MDX, RDX) are OK with regular fuel, they said the premium is only recommended, but not required. The Canadian premium gas price is just insane, $.16/L higher than regular gas. It's just killing me every time I fill up my MDX.
Congratulations and welcome.

I would be interested in running regular as well. I ran my TSXs with Premium since I bought one in 2004. Ten years on premium. Then the last 6 months I tried regular in my 2011 TSX. I see no difference.

Hope it is the same on the TLX.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@Leosliu - Absolutely you can put regular fuel. I personally have been putting regular in both my 2015 MDX & TLX no issues. Checked with the techs @ the local Acura dealerships no issues. My own personal opinion, for me both vehicle are leased, so when the term is up, I just return them and get a brand new car. Both vehicles are under full bumper to bumper warranty so no issues there. Also, unlike my previous 'high-performance' engines that MUST require premium octane, I see no need in the current Acura line up (except NSX). I was also assured the new engines can detect grades of fuel and retard or advance the timing of the engine to adjust. Either way it's your decision, if you have $$ or just prefer premium in your vehicles, then I say do what suits your needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments, I guess I will be cheap, going to put regular in my tlx. Maybe I will use premium if I live in us, but in Ontario, the premium gas is a lot of more expensive.

I also confirmed my 12' mdx cannot use regular, premium is required. Cannot wait for the mdx's lease end, so I can lease a more efficient new mdx.

Has anyone tried the new 2015 MB c300, I was so close to get it, but I always can get a great deal from Acura; so it end up c300 is a lot of more expensive, although the msprs are almost the same. the new c- class interior is so beautiful, except that stupid nav screen. Really hope Acura can bring more luxury feel in the interior.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. You ordered the exact same model, colour exterior and interior as me. Great taste ;)

I always ran 91 octane on all my cars, I always noticed a different in performance and MPG. That's just my opinion, but I'm use to it now, so it doesn't really change much. I try to gas up on thursday when its 3 cents cheaper. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
MB or Acura

Thanks for your comments, I guess I will be cheap, going to put regular in my tlx. Maybe I will use premium if I live in us, but in Ontario, the premium gas is a lot of more expensive.

I also confirmed my 12' mdx cannot use regular, premium is required. Cannot wait for the mdx's lease end, so I can lease a more efficient new mdx.

Has anyone tried the new 2015 MB c300, I was so close to get it, but I always can get a great deal from Acura; so it end up c300 is a lot of more expensive, although the msprs are almost the same. the new c- class interior is so beautiful, except that stupid nav screen. Really hope Acura can bring more luxury feel in the interior.
I am in the process of replacing my old faithful TSX 2004 with over 185 000km for a new steed. Along with the TLX, I am also considering the new MB C class 2015. I love the look but as you mentioned features for features, it is substantially more expensive than the TLX. Also I know how reliable Acura cars are and not sure about MB. I also have a very thrusting relationship with the service group at my Acura dealer...!

My heart says MB, my head says TLX...what a dilema

::crying::

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was at the exactly same boat as you before I ordered the TLX. If I'm going to get a MB, I think I will only lease it. The leasing number for c300 is actually not bad, even with the 4.9% leasing rate, because the 3yrs lease residual value is 67% for 18k/yr!
The C300 has a beautiful sunroof, really nice interior, a powerful turbo engine, and a lot tech stuff to play with, but you need to add the premium package 3.5k; real leather seating will cost you another 2k, plus the LED headlights - another 1k, so only these will add up around 50k CAD. And its still missing some features that TLX have like Keyless entry, remote engine start, lane keeping assistant etc.
For driving experience, I think the C300 drives better, the engine is very responsive, handles corners really good, very comfortable seats, nothing like its previous model; but I haven't had a chance to test drive the TLX SH-AWD yet. Hopefully it drives better than the V6 FWD.
But come to the end, the C300 is about $130CAD more a month for a 36 month lease compare to a tlx SH-AWD tech if you have Acrua's loyalty discount. So I just don't think the better luxury MB feel worth $130/month, I rather to use this money to bring my wife to a nice restaurant every month to keep her happy.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome to the Site and congrats on the order. You've painted a good picture of the difference between Acura and the typical Lux brand, its value. Sure Merc will get you into the C300 for a similar price, yet minus much of the key equipment we see in TLX :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the Site and congrats on the order. You've painted a good picture of the difference between Acura and the typical Lux brand, its value. Sure Merc will get you into the C300 for a similar price, yet minus much of the key equipment we see in TLX :D
I actually think only C300 can compete with TLX SH-AWD, A4 and 328xi are way behind the C300 and TLX.

The A4 looks nice, but the interior is too old. Same thing for 328xi, I just don't know how much does it cost them to throw in a rear view cam in the standard model. It's so ridiculous that you get navigation, but no rear view camera! The Honda Civic even has it as standard!

Compare to other Japanese brands: Q50's base model is really good, you get a lot for the money, but too bad, rear wheel drive won't be possible to survive in Canadian Winter. The AWD version+Navi, the price is not bad, but why a 46k car does not even have a memory seat?
IS250 cannot even compete with TLX and IS350 is way too expensive.

Compare to American brands: ATS is nice, but lack of a lot of the tech features, and the back seats leg-rooms are too small. I didn't test drive Lincoln, I always think that brand is only for old people.

So I think Acura should do great with TLX within the entry level luxury category!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I actually think only C300 can compete with TLX SH-AWD, A4 and 328xi are way behind the C300 and TLX.

The A4 looks nice, but the interior is too old. Same thing for 328xi, I just don't know how much does it cost them to throw in a rear view cam in the standard model. It's so ridiculous that you get navigation, but no rear view camera! The Honda Civic even has it as standard!

Compare to other Japanese brands: Q50's base model is really good, you get a lot for the money, but too bad, rear wheel drive won't be possible to survive in Canadian Winter. The AWD version+Navi, the price is not bad, but why a 46k car does not even have a memory seat?
IS250 cannot even compete with TLX and IS350 is way too expensive.

Compare to American brands: ATS is nice, but lack of a lot of the tech features, and the back seats leg-rooms are too small. I didn't test drive Lincoln, I always think that brand is only for old people.

So I think Acura should do great with TLX within the entry level luxury category!
Ah don't write off the MKZ, the AWD is actually a great drive IMO. I personally think its one of the prettier sedans out there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah don't write off the MKZ, the AWD is actually a great drive IMO. I personally think its one of the prettier sedans out there!
I think it is a pretty car too, but I have never seen anyone younger than 50 driving it. I guess Ford needs to do something to promote its luxry brand.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it is a pretty car too, but I have never seen anyone younger than 50 driving it. I guess Ford needs to do something to promote its luxry brand.
Rented one, good fit and finish with better road manners than I would have thought. Just have a stigma with them, I always picture my uncle with his old Continental even though as a manufacturer they would hardly be recognizable any more (probably for the better).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Brain vs heart

I am in the process of replacing my old faithful TSX 2004 with over 185 000km for a new steed. Along with the TLX, I am also considering the new MB C class 2015. I love the look but as you mentioned features for features, it is substantially more expensive than the TLX. Also I know how reliable Acura cars are and not sure about MB. I also have a very thrusting relationship with the service group at my Acura dealer...!

My heart says MB, my head says TLX...what a dilemma

::crying::
Well I guess the brain wan...After drooling over the C-Class for about a week, I just had to do the math. A C300 AWD with the premium plus package, black obsidian paint, leather interior and full LED package would set me back 6 grand compared to an Elite SH-AWS TLX and would still be missing some of the features of the TLX. Six grand can buy me and the wife a trip to Europe while enjoying a first class car at home.

0:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts