Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I've been reading the forum for months, but just joined as a new TLX is on the radar. Think SHAWD Tech or Elite/Advanced. Giving up my great 2008 TL Type S...maybe

Primary concern is tires. Does anyone drive AWD in CDN winters on all season tires? I had to get snows on the '08; that car is horrible in snow even with front wheel drive

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I use winters for my AWD since its mandatory in Quebec.... If you live in Ontario, I would still consider that.....

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
I've had AWD rentals before with all seasons and it was still pretty dicey in any kind of snow or ice. I would still recommend snow tires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Snow tires

I've had AWD rentals before with all seasons and it was still pretty dicey in any kind of snow or ice. I would still recommend snow tires.
I am with Andre on this one. Live in Québec most of my life and always rode with 4 winter tires long before it became mandatory even when cars were all RWD. Winter tires are excellent at keeping the tire tread clean giving you more traction. All season tire treads get filled up with snow and before long you're running on slick tire

;)

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
...not to mention the fact that all seasons are made up of a different rubber compound and lose flexibility in sub zero temperatures. They get hard when it's cold and lose traction. Winter tires are softer and remain flexible in the cold weather.

So the three guys from Quebec recommend snow tires. Lol. God knows we get enough cold and snow in this province.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Let me pitch in here so there will be a voice from Ontario as well :)

I am a big fan of winter tires for all the very reasons mentioned above - they do help with a better traction in the winter, there is no argument. I learned about the benefits of having the winter tires the hard way when I had an accident on a highway some time ago.
Put the tires on my Civic on Saturday and on Monday morning, I was going to work and the weather was really bad. I was on the fast lane, traffic was not bad, while I saw a guy merging from the ramp and going very fast. Somehow he lost control, started spinning and turning around, crossed all the lanes and ended up on mine, facing the front of my car. All of that happening in nanoseconds and unfolding in front of my eyes, just like in a movie. I had no way to escape as I was sandwitched in between an 18 wheeler on my right side and a concrete guard barrier on the left. All I could do was to push the breaks and hope for the best. Managed to slow down the car so I didn't lose control and was still going straight. Didn't avoid the head on hit but it was relatively minor and I could drive away (the guy's car had to be towed). The winter tires did the job for sure. The cops told me that with all season radials it would have been a very different scenario for me.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the welcomes and the feedback. To clarify, i have always had snows on the TL-S, and it was still not great. Low ground clearance doesnt help either. So i guess the question is how much extra footing dies AWD give?

Test drive is tomorrow AM, and i will have a chat with my rep as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
SH-AWD and winter

Thanks all for the welcomes and the feedback. To clarify, i have always had snows on the TL-S, and it was still not great. Low ground clearance doesnt help either. So i guess the question is how much extra footing dies AWD give?

Test drive is tomorrow AM, and i will have a chat with my rep as well.
I live 200 km North of Québec city where winter starts say Nov-Dec and ends in April...with a buttload of snow. My driveway to get to my garage has a 20 deg + slope (I know call me crazy) and I am located in a cul-de-sac. With my TSX, which is FWD, I have to drive by my house, open up the garage door and take a run around the cul-de-sac to make it up the driveway into the garage (with the VSA system helping me out). Sometimes I have to take a couple of run.

Last year got myself an MDX (I should really say my wife got an MDX...but I kind of push her that way somewhat). Now with the MDX, I stop at the bottom of the driveway, open up the garage door, and very gently push on the accelerator and up we go (this just drive my wife crazy when she is in the passenger seat with me >:D).

You just won't believe how efficient the SH-AWD is in the winter. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts