Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 2K miles I'm now in the club of people who had a half gallon of gas spill down the side of my TLX due to the new gas cap design. I was standing properly right next to my TLX while fueling and was reading some ad on the pump, looked down and gas was spewing out. I've owned 17 Honda and Acuras over the past 25 years and that's the first time I have ever seen gas spewing out. Not a happy camper.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
at 2K miles I'm now in the club of people who had a half gallon of gas spill down the side of my TLX due to the new gas cap design. I was standing properly right next to my TLX while fueling and was reading some ad on the pump, looked down and gas was spewing out. I've owned 17 Honda and Acuras over the past 25 years and that's the first time I have ever seen gas spewing out. Not a happy camper.
Wow. I have over 4,500 miles and I haven't experienced this yet. Maybe the nozzle auto-shut off was faulty?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a similar issue but fortunately I was watching as I filled. I had a feeling that I didn't have the nozzle inserted as far as it should be and also eased off the trigger to slow the fill rate when it was getting near full and it overflowed all over the place. Now I wiggle the nozzle around to insure it's inserted as far as it can go, I leave the fill rate at full blast, let it click off on its own, wait the 5 seconds after click off as the owners manual suggests and haven't had a problem since. One thing to be wary of if you do a search on capless re-fueling is that some gas stations have replaceable tips on the nozzles that can catch and fall off in the tank. If I remember correctly it was some people with Ford Focuses having issues.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In the end if your gas tank is overflowing it is because there is too much gas in there. The auto shut off on the nozzle usually stops this but if there is a problem with it you just have to make sure you don't overfill your tank. Unless its a leak in the tank, I don't see how a new gas tank lid would cause the tank to overflow.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That sucks, hopefully it's not some wide-spread issue which so far it doesn't seem to be.
Maybe the dealer will be able to just hand you a new gas cap under warranty, stopping by to see if this is possible might be a good idea.

·
Registered
666 Posts
As stated before, this is not a vehicle problem, but a defect with the auto shut off on the hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts