Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my 2015 TLX around October of 2014. This means the battery is probably right at 4 years old. With winter coming, I don’t want to get stranded and would rather replace the battery on my terms and time. Not to mention the numerous 2015 owners here who have already had to replace their battery. Mine was likely at the end of its life too.

I stated looking for an Optima battery. I went to their site and used their application guide. It did not show a battery for my TLX. I thought there might be a mistake, so I called Optima technical support and asked them. They told me that they don’t make a group 48 battery and that I would need to modify my battery box or choose a smaller battery. It wasn’t that important to me to have a RED or YELLOW top battery at twice the price.

I started looking around and found Sam’s Club. They carry Duracell brand batteries. They have a Group 48 (H6) AGM battery on sale for $139.76 with a 3-year free replacement with free installation. Item number #136048 , Model # 48(H6) AGM.

I asked the service advisor at Sam’s if they install the battery in a way so that I don’t lose my presets? He said they will reset the clock for me. I told him I’ll install the battery myself.

The new battery was a perfect fit. The only tool you need is a 10mm deep well socket for both the hold down clamp and battery terminals.

As a general rule for most all cars; to avoid having to reset the seat memory, radio presets and other devices, I always use my jumper box when installing a new battery. I attach my jumper box + to + and – to – leaving room to remove the battery terminals. Then when I remove the battery terminals, the car still has it’s necessary 12 volts to keep everything powered. From the cars perspective, it never lost its 12 volt signal and all presets stay the same. Heck, it took me about a week to get my seat memory just perfect. Don’t want to have to do that again!

In case anyone is interested, here are the specifications on this battery.

20-amp hour rate:70
Battery electrolyte composition: Glass Mat
Battery end type: Top post
Battery purpose: Starting lighting instrumentation
BCI group size: 48
CA at 32 degrees F: 875
CCA at 0 degrees F: 760
DIN code:H6/L3
Freight class: 65
Polarity: Right positive
Reserve capacity: 120
Terminal type: DIN

Winter is right around the corner and if anyone thinks like me that their battery is on it's last leg, probably best to replace now instead of getting stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
In the past I have gotten about 5 years out of the battery... I think if you made it though the summer heat winter is no problem... I say keep it for another season... go for it.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry if I was not clear enough. When I change a battery I always use a jumper box or else wish I did afterwards trying to reset everything. Here is how I do it.

1) Attach jumper box cables to car leaving enough room to get to the 10mm bolts on battery terminals
2) Turn on jumper box
3) Remove battery cables from battery
4) Replace battery
5) Attach battery cables onto new battery with 10mm socket; tighten
6) Turn off jumper box and then remove jumper box

NOTE: There are some special tools designed to do the same thing to keep the memories in your car with a cigarette plug adapter and 9v battery. I've heard of a few occasions where the 9v battery is not enough to keep the 12v memory. I prefer the jumper box method.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ah that makes sense.... good tip. I've tried the 9 volt battery in the cigarette light in another car but it didn't work... the jump box / charge method should work fine. If you just a jumper box / charger just set to slow charge.

Great tip!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thread resurrection, but does anyone know if the I4 will accommodate a Group 48/H6 in place of the specified Group 35? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
My quick query at Interstatebatteries.com has the I4 using the Group Size 35 whereas my v6 requires the Group Size H6. Now you are asking if that size will "fit" in the I4.
A simple view of the engine compartment from the Owner's manual does show that there may NOT be room for the larger battery in the I4.

·
Registered
121 Posts
"Yep" to all that, Gary. Hence the question. My bet is "no," as well, but alternately, there may be a larger capacity battery that fits, instead. I'll be researching further, and will post up any favorable results.

·
Registered
473 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts