Acura TLX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Just finished the install- took about 75 minutes with the engine running (per instructions). What wasn't clear until I read the direction booklet was that the installation just puts the data on the car's HDD. It will take 5 hours of driving time/engine running for the data to be placed into the Navigation system. This happens "in the background." So I really can't say what this disc actually did/changed. No release notes included, although it does state the map covers US/48 states, Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
Was there any improvements in usability? or was it just updated streets, POI's, etc?

I'm at about 55% right now, after installing it on Saturday (three days ago). I'm very curious if I'll notice anything different. Right now, other than having to re-pair my phone, and re-enter the quick-dials, I haven't noticed ANY differences. Has anyone else noticed any?

Just wait for the 2018 TLX that will have the new faster operating system on it. These map updates won't speed up the information system at all.
The NSX has the newer operating system on it and its smooth as f... compared to the old one. The interface looks exactly the same (apart from the map view) but compared to my TLX its lightning.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Why do you think I meant that? These forums are full of comments about people having issues with voice recognition, accents affecting directions given verbally, the manner in which you have to list an address to get a good result. I've mostly had good luck with that, though once in a while it didn't seem happy with what I was saying. This time it was perfect. Is that because of the update or because I just did it correctly, who can say? People asked for a report on how it worked, so ... I reported. :)

Mine finally finished after about a week of driving (after the initial 75+ minute install). To be honest, I don't notice a single change. Obviously, newer roads and POCs may be more accurate, depending on your local area, but otherwise, if there are any changes, I haven't found them.

What definitely did NOT change is the bluetooth lag. I know, this is a map update, but since it wiped all my bluetooth settings, I assume that it updated the bluetooth stack. Still, the lag is still there, and the Eyes Free button still doesn't work with my Nexus phone. Yes, I know it's an iPhone thing, but it is known to work with some Android phones, and I'm always hopeful.

In short, everything seems to work as well, or as poorly, as it did before. If anyone finds any changes, please update this thread. So far, though... I got nothin'.

JT3, I'm at about 48% right now, after installing the upgrade disk as you did this past Saturday. Nothing seems different to me so far, but I was expecting only a GPS database update anyway.

Mine finally finished after about a week of driving (after the initial 75+ minute install). To be honest, I don't notice a single change. Obviously, newer roads and POCs may be more accurate, depending on your local area, but otherwise, if there are any changes, I haven't found them.

What definitely did NOT change is the bluetooth lag. I know, this is a map update, but since it wiped all my bluetooth settings, I assume that it updated the bluetooth stack. Still, the lag is still there, and the Eyes Free button still doesn't work with my Nexus phone. Yes, I know it's an iPhone thing, but it is known to work with some Android phones, and I'm always hopeful.

In short, everything seems to work as well, or as poorly, as it did before. If anyone finds any changes, please update this thread. So far, though... I got nothin'.
You can go through the menus and see what infotainment version yours is. 2016 and 2017 are on v4 while 2015 should be v3 or v3.5.

These are not tied to vin, you can *backup*

Just so you all are 100% clear- these dvd's are NOT tied to VIN numbers or database numbers. You could literally plug this into any *compatible* model MDX TLX etc and update.
Acura is SIMPLY COLLECTING INFORMATION ON WHO IS PURCHASING THEIR DVD'S with the VIN and DB numbers.

Just so you all are 100% clear- these dvd's are NOT tied to VIN numbers or database numbers. You could literally plug this into any *compatible* model MDX TLX etc and update.
Acura is SIMPLY COLLECTING INFORMATION ON WHO IS PURCHASING THEIR DVD'S with the VIN and DB numbers.

Interesting comment. Seems like an odd way to do business especially once people figure it out. Can anyone else who has done the update confirm?

That's what I've been saying, and why I've been asking someone to upload the ISO of the DVD so we can give it a try.. I'm even willing to pay a small amount for it ::crying::

Just finished the install- took about 75 minutes with the engine running (per instructions). What wasn't clear until I read the direction booklet was that the installation just puts the data on the car's HDD. It will take 5 hours of driving time/engine running for the data to be placed into the Navigation system. This happens "in the background." So I really can't say what this disc actually did/changed. No release notes included, although it does state the map covers US/48 states, Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
Did you have to put a code it during the install?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.