1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its all part of their latest plan. They are trying to rebuild excitement and anticipation for the car. This goes along with their already below MSRP $299 lease deal that they have announced along with the $500 in free accessories. Acura division sales are lagging behind their competitors who are seeing record growth this year so they are hoping to catch the wave.

The videos do look good and project leader Mat Hargett presents the car very well. I think he comes across as being very sincere and clearly devoted to making the best possible car that he can. He was also the project leader for the 4th Generation TL as well I believe so he has experience with the brand.

Honestly, I think that they really need to do something "more" for the advertising. Just saying something is "thrilling" over and over is not enough.

Sadly, even the TLX preview videos from 3 months ago have only had 5000-6000 views each. So Acura's clearly not setting the internet on fire here with their efforts at building excitement for what is positioned to be their volume sales leader sedan.

By contrast Hyundai's "Empty Convoy" video demonstrating the active driver assistance features on their all new 2015 Genesis has had over 4 million views in just 2 weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTIXldrq3Q

Even their "Blind Drive" videos featuring professional racer Rhys Millen have generated up to 475,000 views a piece during the same time the TLX videos achieved 3000. Clearly Acura needs to do something else...

For me, Acura has dragged the process out too long with their so called preview of their "TLX Concept" in Detroit. They then waited until New York Intl Auto Show to show off the production version in April. Even then they were very sparse with the actual technical information and pricing. They even released a barrage of ads for the TLX on TV leading up to and around the NYIAS to help build upon the international press coverage that they were going to receive during the show. After telling all of the dealers that it would be released for sale in May, they then suddenly postponed it with no warning and no definite release date. The excitement that they had generated through the all of the press reporting of the 2015 TLX at the NYIAS was totally wasted.

This delay caught dealers in a pinch with dwindling stock of the discontinued TL/TSX, limited availability of the RLX PAWS and no hope of the RLX SH-AWD Hybrid on the horizon. Potential customers who had been told that they would have an opportunity to test drive a 2015 TLX in person by late spring/early summer were left wondering what had happened.

I feel a similar disappointment with the next NSX which they have teased for the better part of 10 years in various forms. The Leno/Seinfeld SuperBowl commercial was released in January of 2012. Seriously, 2012!! And we STILL do not have a release date for the car. My thought was why even spend all that money for the air time when they had no intention of releasing the car in the near future. Any excitement that they built for the NSX with the millions that they spent on that ad has long been forgotten by most customers except for the die hard fans such as ourselves. Not to mention the competition in the high end sports car category has been moving forward at a rapid pace and makes me wonder if the NSX will even be competitive by the time it is finally released (perhaps next year?).

RLX SH-AWD Hybrid is suffering the same fate as well.

At least the MDX and RDX are keeping the lights on for Acura.

As a continuous owner of Acura products for the last 25 years I really hope that they can straighten things out because this is starting to worry me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Obviously that stunt commercial from Hyundai will be viewed much more -- EVEN people who wouldn't spend more than one second considering owning a Hyundai would view that viral video. It's lot of smoke, mirror and fireworks. "Gangman Style" is viewed much more than Mars rover landing too.

Sure, Acura can do a much much better job at marketing the TLX. (Even though, the car is not out yet, so commercials are still to come.) But I personally prefer the no-non-sense (and possibly very boring to most people) videos that clearly present and slowly showing the product than videos with a lot of pizzazz and changing camera angles every half a second. I don't want a company to try to ignite my emotions and awareness to the brand, hoping that I'd run out and buy their product on impulse. In fact, the more a company spends on ads and marketing, the more I'm suspicious about their products. But I realize I'm part of a minority. That's why Hyundai spends so much nowadays on ads.

Oh by the way, the TLX looks great and spacious too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't want a company to try to ignite my emotions and awareness to the brand, hoping that I'd run out and buy their product on impulse. In fact, the more a company spends on ads and marketing, the more I'm suspicious about their products. But I realize I'm part of a minority. That's why Hyundai spends so much nowadays on ads.
Well that fact is that many people buy their cars based on emotion and appearance. And generating interest through marketing is definitely a big part of that.

Acura execs have already said that they are planning for their largest media effort thus far to promote the TLX. But the way that they have mishandled so many of their other cars including the TLX delay does not instill confidence.

Frankly, the overly sarcastic online ad campaign that Acura has been using for the RLX, MDX, and now the TLX is really terrible.

Acura TLX

Acura MDX

Acura RLX

I just shake my head in disapproval when I see one of these ads pop up in my browser...

Oh by the way, the TLX looks great and spacious too.
Wow. That sounds like a line from one of those ads... :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its all part of their latest plan. They are trying to rebuild excitement and anticipation for the car. This goes along with their already below MSRP $299 lease deal that they have announced along with the $500 in free accessories. Acura division sales are lagging behind their competitors who are seeing record growth this year so they are hoping to catch the wave.

The videos do look good and project leader Mat Hargett presents the car very well. I think he comes across as being very sincere and clearly devoted to making the best possible car that he can. He was also the project leader for the 4th Generation TL as well I believe so he has experience with the brand.

Honestly, I think that they really need to do something "more" for the advertising. Just saying something is "thrilling" over and over is not enough.

Sadly, even the TLX preview videos from 3 months ago have only had 5000-6000 views each. So Acura's clearly not setting the internet on fire here with their efforts at building excitement for what is positioned to be their volume sales leader sedan.

By contrast Hyundai's "Empty Convoy" video demonstrating the active driver assistance features on their all new 2015 Genesis has had over 4 million views in just 2 weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTIXldrq3Q

Even their "Blind Drive" videos featuring professional racer Rhys Millen have generated up to 475,000 views a piece during the same time the TLX videos achieved 3000. Clearly Acura needs to do something else...

For me, Acura has dragged the process out too long with their so called preview of their "TLX Concept" in Detroit. They then waited until New York Intl Auto Show to show off the production version in April. Even then they were very sparse with the actual technical information and pricing. They even released a barrage of ads for the TLX on TV leading up to and around the NYIAS to help build upon the international press coverage that they were going to receive during the show. After telling all of the dealers that it would be released for sale in May, they then suddenly postponed it with no warning and no definite release date. The excitement that they had generated through the all of the press reporting of the 2015 TLX at the NYIAS was totally wasted.

This delay caught dealers in a pinch with dwindling stock of the discontinued TL/TSX, limited availability of the RLX PAWS and no hope of the RLX SH-AWD Hybrid on the horizon. Potential customers who had been told that they would have an opportunity to test drive a 2015 TLX in person by late spring/early summer were left wondering what had happened.

I feel a similar disappointment with the next NSX which they have teased for the better part of 10 years in various forms. The Leno/Seinfeld SuperBowl commercial was released in January of 2012. Seriously, 2012!! And we STILL do not have a release date for the car. My thought was why even spend all that money for the air time when they had no intention of releasing the car in the near future. Any excitement that they built for the NSX with the millions that they spent on that ad has long been forgotten by most customers except for the die hard fans such as ourselves. Not to mention the competition in the high end sports car category has been moving forward at a rapid pace and makes me wonder if the NSX will even be competitive by the time it is finally released (perhaps next year?).

RLX SH-AWD Hybrid is suffering the same fate as well.

At least the MDX and RDX are keeping the lights on for Acura.

As a continuous owner of Acura products for the last 25 years I really hope that they can straighten things out because this is starting to worry me.
I agree 100% and I'm also disappointed that no pre-production demos have been turned loose on the automotive journalists for evaluation. Lots of other brands get the beta units out in the world for folks to get early impressions from. The TLX is really becoming a blind date.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.