Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 TLX, 3.5L, Tech package, Modern steel metallic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from a new 2020 TLX owner. In the past I've owned 3 TL's (2001, 2006, 2013) all with factory navigation systems. I appreciate the upgrades in screens and functionality as the technology has matured over the years. Each iteration appears to provide more and better information than the previous.

However, in my mind, we may have gone a bit too far. I note that this version "traces" major roads with a color (green, amber, or red) that seems to be driven by Traffic Information from AcuraLink. In my area all of the major roads are showing GREEN all of the time. In fact I've yet to see either amber or red tracing. Just for grins I drove down to the Jersey Shore. The traffic was relatively heavy in both directions and I saw a couple of places where the back-ups appeared to exceed a mile +/-, but the route still showed GREEN.

Since the provided info appears to be suspect in my area and of limited value... is there a way to kill this functionality so that the roads are not shaded. I've gone over the on-line manual several times and either it's not covered or I'm just not seeing it. I'd very much appreciate comments and advice. Many thanks! Jim

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim. (y)

I can't help you with that but it would be nice to post some pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that I'm in the unusual position of answering my own query.

My path led me through about 4 hours of study with the on-line (complete) navigation manual (no success). Then I called Acura/Honda America's Torrance Headquarters and, over a 45 minute period, talked with three separate groups (negative success because the final "solution" suggested by their Technical Support advisor was a complete reboot. This not only didn't solve the problem, but it wiped out all of my data (am/fm/SiruiusXM pre-sets, my phone links, personal destinations, and all cds loaded into the hard drive)).

I then called my dealership (Hertrich Acura of New Castle Delaware - GREAT people!!) and talked with my salesperson and the Service Manager. The Service Manager thought that there had to be a solution, but it would take some research to find. It took him the rest of the day, but he called me the next morning with the steps that got it done. It is "sorta addressed" in the 2020 TLX on-line navigation manual on Page 67.

To eliminate the traffic status "road tracing" (green, amber, or red), which seemed to be inaccurate in my area:
Press "SETTINGS", then
Select "MAP", then
Select "ICON", then
Select "TRAFFIC", then
Choose " ON (default setting), OFF (kills the tracing), or CUSTOM (finer detail)"

I am a bit disappointed in the Torrance "experts" but very thankful that my dealership took the initiative to chase down a not-so-obvious (poorly documented?) solution. Hope this helps other owners who may be impacted with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
869 Posts
Glad you found the solution. Thanks for sharing!
My 2015 came with that service, but then I let is expire. But you have CarPlay, which supports Waze and other navigation apps. So many more options. I can see the day when the car manufacturers no longer provide that product and let you use your phone for navigation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary, I very much agree with your thought that sooner or later the in-car hard drive navigation systems will become obsolete. That said, at least for the near future the thing still has value in my area. I live in a semi-rural area (horse farms, cows, etc) and cell service is spotty at best. In fact I get better reception in the middle of the Adirondack mountains than I do at home. I'm always amazed at how far we've come. My first TL (2001 Type S) had a nav system that that was pretty crude, but it got the job done. Today's systems are light years ahead in terms of functionality and ease of use. Looking forward to what what they come up with next!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts