Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would take sometime and share my experiences and observations from the first 2 months of owning my TLX I4 Tech, currently with 2000 miles on the odometer.
The list is a combination of some good and not so good things and, as with every review, it is subjective to a large degree.
The great:)
  • Like the car a lot and enjoy the driving experience. I think it is a perfect combination of not-over-the board luxury and a bit of sportiness. The size is also great, not too small and not too big. The ride is very serene and comfortable. Price wise, good value for the money for sure.
  • Really like the dashboard layout and the fact that I don’t see the hood but the road at the bottom of the front windshield – this brings back some memories of the Acura line up from the late 80s.
  • Like a lot all the safety features, especially the blind spot assist. I think what the car offers is the right amount of assistance a driver would need.
  • Like a lot the placement of the various controls on the steering wheel, very logical and intuitive to use as well.
  • Like the connectivity feature where I can send addresses and coordinates to the car from my PC or phone via the AcuraLink app in advance instead of spending time and poking at the screen in the car.
  • The gas mileage has been really impressive. Although I like to push the pedal here and there to enjoy spirited driving I am still within the posted EPA range for the city and better than posted for the highway.
  • I really like the sound system. Does not perform to the same level of quality with every source of course but I don’t think I would need anything better.
The not so great (and annoying) – listed in order of importance and level of seriousness :(

• TRANSMISSION – I am not going to repeat here what has been mentioned on this forum several times and unfortunately, by many of us. Just want to add that the issues have been manifesting progressively and more frequently in my case, hope the tranny will not fall apart while I am driving. The good thing is that once you are past the first 3 gears the tranny performs really well, especially on the highway.
  • The Navi system – I like the size and the placement of the screen. Unfortunately, I don't’ find it intuitive and user friendly at all, there are too many steps to get to the finish line for what one wants to accomplish with sometimes a simple task. I use a combination of voice commands and manual operation to get by. Maps seem to be slightly dated. Not all previous destinations entered in the past are showing on the “Previous Destination” screen. Can’t delete just one, but all or none. If I choose “Edit”, then it switches to a different driver option only. There is no option to save destinations to some sort of a “common” list so they would show for driver 1 and driver 2. Traffic rerouting doesn't seem to work or maybe I don’t understand how this should work, at least I see colors on the screen showing heavy traffic now. When I ask for a point of interest, lets’ say “Costco”, it shows me places miles away from my current location. It also rebooted on me once while I was driving on the highway, scary experience as it was 11 PM and it was dark, for a moment I thought the engine just shut off. My three year old standalone Garmin is way more user friendly and I can complete all needed tasks way faster and with way less frustration. Hope the software upgrade will help with some of these issues.
  • Can’t fold the external mirrors in accessory mode or when the engine is off. This is annoying and not intuitive at all as I naturally reach to the mirror button when I reach for the door handle, which is the last step before I exit the car
  • OEM tires - My TLX came with all season 17” Goodyear Eagle tires. Great on dry surface (so far) and in light rain, if you don’t corner with the car too tight, very quiet and help with great mileage. Terrible in snow and slush, no match for ice at all. I also got myself a full set of 18 OEM rims and tires with the intent to use this set for non-winter months, also with the Eagles and the tires are much noisier. Will need to mount some better rubber I guess.
  • Heated seats ON feature when car remotely started not available with the Tech trim. That’s a plain dumb design decision, given that everything else starts up anyway – heat fan, heated windshield and heated steering wheel (not working in my case anymore but will be fixed)
  • Wheel wells are very noisy when driving in wet snow or slush. I think this is related to the kind of plastic they use. This contrasts highly with the serene ride I’ve been experiencing on the dry pavement.
  • Infotainment screen - Love the shortcuts feature, comes very handy. However, when playing music from my IPOD, the ”Artist” part is not displayed (it is displayed with XM radio source), just the title and the track name. What’s more important though is that there is no way to fast-forward or go back in the song a few seconds, can only skip to the next one.
  • Windshield wipers – for a single spray option, water is released at the same time as the blades start moving or even a split second later. It means that if the glass is dirty, the blades go over the hard stuff twice with no or very little water. Would like to see the spray first and then the wipers move as I am afraid I will need to replace the blades sooner than necessary. Also, I can’t figure out the auto setting, no matter how I turn the knob the blades go crazy from time to time and for no reason (usually when there is very little water drops left on the glass) – this is a well-known issue discussed already on this forum anyway. I noticed that the auto functions operates as expected when the snow is falling.
  • Driver 1 and Driver 2 don’t always switch between the drivers, even if the engine is turned off. I use the green color background and dimmed lower screen but my wife likes the blue one and very bright so at times I had to drive with her settings, glad I still could move the seat.
  • Corner vents reflect big time in the mirrors – well known issue, more annoying even on a an overcast day rather than with full sunshine.
  • Wish the front passenger seat was mounted a bit higher. The 4 way passenger power seat is only available on the V6 models so there is no way for me to lift it up a bit. This would be helpful on longer trips.
  • AcuraLink software – like the fact that I can double check if I locked the doors when I am already on the commuter train and had to rush with parking. Scared me big time once when I checked the car and I got a list of all systems in red showing massive malfunction. At that time, the car was parked one level below the ground so there was definitely a connection issue. I would prefer a simple message stating smth like – “no connection available” rather than a bunch of false alarms. Btw, this behavior has occurred a few times even when the car was parked in the open.
  • Paint quality – Already have a few small stone chips that I had to repair with the touch up paint. All from one unfortunate situation on the highway when a huge truck merged onto the highway in front of me and I could only escape one lane to my left. Got into a shower of small hard calcium particles, not really stones as I found out later, and they hit my hood, front right pillar and the roof from the right. I would expect the paint quality to be better. Also, I think Acura should offer paint upgrade option and I would love to get smth like a triple layer coat I have on my Outlook. At least now I know the color of the primer on my car.
  • The thin aluminum inserts with “Acura” logo on the edge of the floor and beneath the front doors are also very delicate and prone to scratches from shoes while entering and exiting the car.

This is would be it for the first two months. As I mentioned, I like the car a lot but there is simply no excuse whatsoever for delivering such a problematic DCT transmission. Just hope that a simple software fix will address the shifting problem of the first three gears and gear engagement delays and that those are not design issues. If Acura wants to add this transmission to the 2016 ILX model they better fix it ASAP (and acknowledge that there is a widespread problem with the DCT tranny).

I give my TLX a score of 4.1 out of 5 after the first two months of ownership, mainly for the faulty DCT transmission, over complicated and unfriendly Navi system and low budget OEM tires.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think you have hit all the major points and if you can get over some of the weakness then you will really enjoy.

It is possible to delete a single previous destination but it is not as intuitive as it could be. Destinations downloaded from a PC are listed as a blank entry in the previous destination list. This should be fixed in the navi update (released in the US but not here yet).

The exterior mirror folding activity is a training issue. I am almost trained.

In the past I have avoided trucks like the plague especially during winter, and will be hanging back even more going forward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for the review. I agree with all your comments. The car is a nice drive, but all the bugs I have experienced take away from the positives and have made me regret my purchase. What a shame.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts

The great:)

The not so great (and annoying) – listed in order of importance and level of seriousness :(

• TRANSMISSION
  • The Navi system
  • Can’t fold the external mirrors in accessory mode or when the engine is off.
  • OEM tires
  • Heated seats ON feature when car remotely started not available with the Tech trim.
  • Wheel wells are very noisy when driving in wet snow or slush. I think this is related to the kind of plastic they use. This contrasts highly with the serene ride I’ve been experiencing on the dry pavement.
  • Infotainment screen
  • Windshield wipers
  • Driver 1 and Driver 2 don’t always switch between the drivers, even if the engine is turned off.
  • Corner vents reflect big time in the mirrors
  • Wish the front passenger seat was mounted a bit higher. The 4 way passenger power seat is only available on the V6 models so there is no way for me to lift it up a bit. This would be helpful on longer trips.
  • AcuraLink software
  • Paint quality
  • The thin aluminum inserts with “Acura” logo on the edge of the floor and beneath the front doors are also very delicate and prone to scratches from shoes while entering and exiting the car.

I give my TLX a score of 4.1 out of 5 after the first two months of ownership, mainly for the faulty DCT transmission, over complicated and unfriendly Navi system and low budget OEM tires.
Very nice, detailed review.

I can agree with the good. As far as the bad, I am not affected in the same manner

• TRANSMISSION - My transmission still works great. I know that doesn't help anyone fix theirs.
  • The Navi system - Can agree but I can live with it.
  • Can’t fold the external mirrors in accessory mode or when the engine is off. (Don't have any fancy folding mirrors on my model.)
  • OEM tires - I can agree, but I can wait till they wear out and then I will replace then with Yokohamas.
  • Heated seats ON feature when car remotely started not available with the Tech trim. (Rarely use heated seats in South Florida.)
  • Wheel wells are very noisy when driving in wet snow or slush. I think this is related to the kind of plastic they use. This contrasts highly with the serene ride I’ve been experiencing on the dry pavement. (Good to know, but I only drive over dry roads or rainy roads.)
  • Infotainment screen - Don't use Apple products, but my USB and Bluetooth work great, along with the seldom used HDD option.
  • Windshield wipers - Agree about wetting before wiping.
  • Driver 1 and Driver 2 don’t always switch between the drivers, even if the engine is turned off. (Only use driver 1.)
  • Corner vents reflect big time in the mirrors - I have been able to see through the glare and got used to it.
  • Wish the front passenger seat was mounted a bit higher. The 4 way passenger power seat is only available on the V6 models so there is no way for me to lift it up a bit. This would be helpful on longer trips. (I did not know this as I am always in the driver's seat. I will have to investigate but I believe you.)
  • AcuraLink software - Don't use.
  • Paint quality - Haven't noticed so far.
  • The thin aluminum inserts with “Acura” logo on the edge of the floor and beneath the front doors are also very delicate and prone to scratches from shoes while entering and exiting the car. (Good to know, but I have a habit of lifting my feet over the threshold.)

I give my TLX a score of 5 out of 5 after the first two months of ownership. I only had one issue that was successfully resolved. I haven't seen the transmission issue yet. Everything else I can live with. I look forward to the Navi software update, but I can wait till my first oil change.[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion regarding your opinion. :)

Once again, good review.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the review. I agree with all your comments. The car is a nice drive, but all the bugs I have experienced take away from the positives and have made me regret my purchase. What a shame.
I hear you. It is almost like death by a thousand cuts :) Small issues but quite a few and they all add up in the overall experience. Definitely not what I was expecting from Acura. Just hope they will get their act together quickly and address the tranny problem asap.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Very nice, detailed review.

I can agree with the good. As far as the bad, I am not affected in the same manner

• TRANSMISSION - My transmission still works great. I know that doesn't help anyone fix theirs.
  • The Navi system - Can agree but I can live with it.
  • Can’t fold the external mirrors in accessory mode or when the engine is off. (Don't have any fancy folding mirrors on my model.)
  • OEM tires - I can agree, but I can wait till they wear out and then I will replace then with Yokohamas.
  • Heated seats ON feature when car remotely started not available with the Tech trim. (Rarely use heated seats in South Florida.)
  • Wheel wells are very noisy when driving in wet snow or slush. I think this is related to the kind of plastic they use. This contrasts highly with the serene ride I’ve been experiencing on the dry pavement. (Good to know, but I only drive over dry roads or rainy roads.)
  • Infotainment screen - Don't use Apple products, but my USB and Bluetooth work great, along with the seldom used HDD option.
  • Windshield wipers - Agree about wetting before wiping.
  • Driver 1 and Driver 2 don’t always switch between the drivers, even if the engine is turned off. (Only use driver 1.)
  • Corner vents reflect big time in the mirrors - I have been able to see through the glare and got used to it.
  • Wish the front passenger seat was mounted a bit higher. The 4 way passenger power seat is only available on the V6 models so there is no way for me to lift it up a bit. This would be helpful on longer trips. (I did not know this as I am always in the driver's seat. I will have to investigate but I believe you.)
  • AcuraLink software - Don't use.
  • Paint quality - Haven't noticed so far.
  • The thin aluminum inserts with “Acura” logo on the edge of the floor and beneath the front doors are also very delicate and prone to scratches from shoes while entering and exiting the car. (Good to know, but I have a habit of lifting my feet over the threshold.)

I give my TLX a score of 5 out of 5 after the first two months of ownership. I only had one issue that was successfully resolved. I haven't seen the transmission issue yet. Everything else I can live with. I look forward to the Navi software update, but I can wait till my first oil change.
Just my opinion regarding your opinion. :)

Once again, good review.[/QUOTE]
Thx for your comments and your opinion regarding my opinion :)
As I mentioned up front, these things are quite subjective and depend on individual likes and dislikes a lot.
I am a natural optimist and do hope that Acura will provide a solid tranny fix and modernize the Navi system; then I will re-assess my score accordingly :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is possible to delete a single previous destination but it is not as intuitive as it could be. Destinations downloaded from a PC are listed as a blank entry in the previous destination list.
I noticed that too, will double check.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will be hitting 3000 miles soon. My transmission has only stumbled a couple times but on the whole has been solid. Fuel economy has been equal to or better than the sticker numbers even with regular grade fuel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear that you are not experiencing the same problems. Are you located south of snow belt States maybe ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm surprised that your wipers work this way. On mine, the washer fluid sprays onto the windshield first and then the wipers start to move. I really like it because it gives a nice spray and the wipers don't start to move until the window is wet. Seems very odd to me that yours would work differently.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am in Little Rock. I do think the temperature is the cause of this. I have mine in a garage and while things can get cold here, it is nothing like the snow belt at all.

The next cold snap I will pay more attention, but the times I remember any stumbles in the transmission they did occur at start up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.