Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of searching through forums, calling the dealer and general research on how to get a remote start system installed in my 2015 TLX Base.
I finally got it installed and programmed and wanted to share my install and what I learned along the way.

When I first started looking into getting it installed, many people suggested I buy a new remote start kit on eBay for $290. That was a little too much, wasn't worth it to me.
After looking around I found a few wrecking yards selling the remote start transceiver on eBay. I called my local dealer to find out if a used transceiver and key can be reprogrammed to another car. The best answer I got was "I don't know, we've never done that before but probably not". That wasn't the answer I was looking for but I wanted to try the experiment anyway, and I will confirm that they can be reprogrammed and work just fine.

I bought a used transceiver and key on eBay and followed this to install it. (Don't remove the entire backseat, see below for install pictures)
I paid $120 for the parts and $70 to program, $190 total.

Once I got the parts, I installed the transceiver within 10 minutes:

Installation:
Lift up the right side of the backseat by releasing it from a plastic clip. Pull the clip towards the front of the vehicle to release it.

Clip looks like this:

Gently lift the seat high enough to get to a single 10mm bolt securing the right seat bolster:

The top part of the bolster is secured by a hook. Just lift it up and set it aside.

Behind it, you will find the XM radio tuner. remove the three 10mm nuts holding it down and remove it.

The green 3-pin connector and antenna for the transceiver will be taped to the wire bundle in the general area where it will be installed.
Install the transceiver, plug in the two connectors and reinstall the XM unit. Put the bolster back in and you're done!

Programming the remote start system has to be done by the dealer. There are two reasons why only the dealer can do the programming:
1. A PCM is required to program the key. This is a security pin code that changes daily and can only be acquired by a Honda employee.
2. The remote start is a 2-way system that only Honda Diagnostic Software (HDS) has access to. No scan tool or key programmer that I have tried can get into this system.
What is a 2-way system? This is when the car receives a signal from the key to start the car and the car sends a confirmation signal back to the key. The key then flashes a green LED if the command was received or a red LED if not.

Some technicians at the dealership have never dealt with programming a 2-way system. The last page of the installation instructions is a step-by-step guide on programming the key. Print this off and bring it with you for the technician. It'll save time and will tell them exactly what to do.

This pretty much sums up my experience. If you are considering buying a used transceiver, one thing I should mention is that the TLX, MDX and RDX transceivers have the same IC, FCC ID and part number. They appear to be the same unit. The only difference is the TLX unit has a bracket and the other two don't. Even without this bracket you could probably mount it with zip ties or double sided tape and it'll be fine.
The thing that I am unsure of is whether or not the TLX key will work with a MDX or RDX transceiver. I believe they would because the Model, IC and FCC ID numbers of the key are the same for all three. The only difference is the trunk release button has a picture of a car or an SUV respective of the vehicle it's from.

If needed, these are the numbers on the transceiver and key:

I hope this is useful for anyone considering a remote start system.

·
Super Moderator
742 Posts
Nice job! Thanks for sharing this and the detailed instructions with pictures.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is fantastic. Thank you, @Alex.Odushkin !
Now, the only question is whether I want to follow in your footsteps or just pay retail!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice write-up, Alex. (y)

I bought my RS unit new for $275 (plus shipping with a couple other items), and installed it myself. The kit came with the module, two remotes, bracket, and wire tie. I purchased two "emergency" keys off of eBay for ~$11 total. As I'd just spent about $200 at the parts counter for other items and was having the RS programmed out in the bay, the dealer cut them for me at no cost.

Note: After programming, the remotes did not initially work. Two potential problems:

1) I think the other remotes were in the car, which likely stopped the RS from working.
2) Even without other remotes in the car, the RS would not work until I first used each new remote to start the vehicle normally (via the push button on the dash). Once I did this, then both would start the vehicle remotely and continue to do so now.

I pulled the seat lower completely, as it involves the removal of only one bolt, and makes pulling the side bolster easier. (IIt also provided the opportunity to vacuum under the seat and remove four years' worth of the previous owner's dirt, etc.) If you have any mechanical skill/experience, this really is an easy DIY install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is fantastic. Thank you, @Alex.Odushkin !
Now, the only question is whether I want to follow in your footsteps or just pay retail!
You're Welcome!
If you do decide to do it this way, the eBay listings for a used transceiver are usually listed as "ECM Driver Assist Remote"
Here is an example of a listing and this is the key I bought.

Note: After programming, the remotes did not initially work. Two potential problems:

1) I think the other remotes were in the car, which likely stopped the RS from working.
2) Even without other remotes in the car, the RS would not work until I first used each new remote to start the vehicle normally (via the push button on the dash). Once I did this, then both would start the vehicle remotely and continue to do so now.
I had a similar issue when I got the key programmed.
The RS wouldn't work while all the other buttons worked fine. I then figured out that you have to lock the car first, get a flash from the green LED, then it will allow the car to start.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a similar issue when I got the key programmed.
The RS wouldn't work while all the other buttons worked fine. I then figured out that you have to lock the car first, get a flash from the green LED, then it will allow the car to start.
Yep, but I got no green LED until after I used each fob to start the car normally. Electronics. 🙄

·
Registered
2016 TLX
9 Posts
Hello, Brand new member that is attempting this remote start install using used parts with a couple questions....First, My FCC ID number on my original remote is no where close to the number your showing but I did notice all the remote start fobs match your number so as long as I have the right module your showing I will also need the FCC number your showing? Hope I'm making sense and hope you dont mind answering questions this late after your post. The other thing I'm wondering is do I need to have two keys with the remote start unit or can the dealer just program one? I found a nice set up that matches all your numbers but only one key. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
I can't help you out, but please let us know what you find out and share it with the other members.
Good luck with your installation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, Brand new member that is attempting this remote start install using used parts with a couple questions....First, My FCC ID number on my original remote is no where close to the number your showing but I did notice all the remote start fobs match your number so as long as I have the right module your showing I will also need the FCC number your showing? Hope I'm making sense and hope you dont mind answering questions this late after your post. The other thing I'm wondering is do I need to have two keys with the remote start unit or can the dealer just program one? I found a nice set up that matches all your numbers but only one key. Thanks!!
Are you talking about the FCC IDs on the RS fob and the original fob? The numbers will be different.
What is the FCC ID on your original fob?
You do not need 2 keys for the RS, I only have 1 RS key programmed and everything works fine.

·
Registered
2016 TLX
9 Posts
KR5VIX IS the original remote FCC number. The vehicle I found has the exact numbers you show for the box and remote fob but when I called to ask about the one I want to buy the guy said 'make sure your FCC number matches' so I looked at my original and no match. I thought it may be a different number switching to the new box but want to make sure before I buy it tomorrow. I also noticed every remote for sale on Ebay that is for 'remote start' match your number. Thanks for your super quick reply!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just checked the FCC of my original remote and it is also KR5V1X.
I think you can confidently buy the remote starter, I’m sure it’ll work.
Here’s a picture of my original remote for reference.

·
Registered
2016 TLX
9 Posts
Awesome! Thanks so much for your 'how to' and quick replies, I would not attempted this if not for your instructions. I'm also saving a lot of money going used as you suggested. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm also saving a lot of money going used as you suggested. Thanks Again!
I'm curious as to how much.

Ultimately, it seems like are are three different options/approaches to adding remote start:
  1. Full retail, with two remotes (actual cost at dealership, since it likely differs from MSRP?). $600-ish?
  2. Remote start kit on eBay for $290, plus programming cost for each remote ($70 per remote, correct?). $430
  3. Transceiver-only from eBay for $120, plus $70 to program a single remote. $190
Is this a fair assessment of the options?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ultimately, it seems like are are three different options/approaches to adding remote start:
  1. Full retail, with two remotes (actual cost at dealership, since it likely differs from MSRP?). $600-ish?
  2. Remote start kit on eBay for $290, plus programming cost for each remote ($70 per remote, correct?). $430
  3. Transceiver-only from eBay for $120, plus $70 to program a single remote. $190
Yes, I’d say that is accurate.
The difference would be in the programming, every dealership has different prices. my local dealership charges $70, but a quote from the next city came to $150.

Also, if going the eBay route, you’d need the transceiver and the RS fob.
I paid about $60 for each.

·
Registered
2016 TLX
9 Posts

I also paid 60.00 for one key Fob from a Junk Yard, it was from a 2016 TLX, tried to purchase the module but they said it was gone already. The module's are hard to come by used but found the last one on Ebay and paid 57.00. The dealer said 65-75 to program if there's no problems. After my long search I also agree with Alex that it looks like the RDX module and key numbers match and should work in the TLX. Good Luck

·
Registered
2016 TLX
9 Posts
Just finished up and my 2016 Tech Tlx now has factory remote start!! A quick follow up...I did exactly what Alex suggested by going with used parts and installed the same exact way he did. The install took about 10 minutes, I used tie wraps around the Sat receiver to hold the Remote start module. I paid 117.00 total for a used module from a RDX and one used fob from a TLX and programming cost 71.00, 188.00 total for a fantastic easy mod! Make sure to match the numbers and RDX parts will work! Thanks again to Alex for a great write-up that was spot on in every way!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have trouble getting the trunk button work?

All the other buttons work except the trunk. My receiver and remote is from a MDX.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts