Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually am not a car forum kind of guy, but wanted to share my experience with this new TLX( 4cyl 8 speed), to potential buyers / leases.

To start out this new 15' TLX is my 4th Acura. I have always been a Honda fan and especially like the refined treatment Acura provides. I most recently was driving a 2011 TSX, a car that I was very sad to part with.

If you want to read up on the technical aspects of driving the different models and how the interior is and all of that fun stuff, there are plenty of well written posts on this site to reference, I however will skip all that and get down to why I am really posting.

After having this car for almost a month now all I can say is how incredibly disappointed I am with the car. I know, let that sink in, I am not here praising the all mighty TLX..

The 3rd day of ownership ( the car has 106 miles on it!) I jump in the car, fire it up and am promptly bombarded with warning messages on the center screen as well as the navigation screen. Flashing electronic parking break failure!! I try toggling the parking break option yet it will not engage or disengage. I call up my dealer and explain what is happening. I take the car in and a few days later am told there is a faulty valve that controls the parking break and this problem has been identified and documented on other new TLX's.

So I get the car back almost a week later because they needed to run the car through multiple start up sequences to make sure it wont fail again. I was told this has happened to other TLX's so they were just making sure it was properly fixed.

A few days later I back up out of my driveway to leave for the day and when I shift the car into D and hit the gas to my disbelief the car isn't in 1st gear! After a 2.5 second delay it slams into 1st gear and lurches the car forward. I chalk it up to a cold transmission and depart.

After my lovely drive with the 8 speed transmission constantly up shifting and downshifting all over the **** place, constantly trying to find the optimal gear I arrive at my destination. With foot on the brake I shift from R to D, still the same 2.5 - 3 second delay, when it does engage 1st gear you noticeably feel it, I.E the lurch.

And here we are, my new 2015 TLX is back in the shop, actually the car has been in the shop twice as long as I have had the opportunity to drive it!! They are currently running diagnostics on the transmission with the help from the Acura engineers, wherever they preside.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret getting into this car. So, so many better options out there for the price tag.

Now I know each car is a case by case study but this is my story... a frustrating and sad one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now I know each car is a case by case study but this is my story... a frustrating and sad one.
Wow, this does make one get goose bumps. This is not what we expect from the car. I hope this gets figured out & corrected & you don't have any more bad experiences with your car.

Thank you for sharing it as we do want to know the not so positive experiences to surface as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow, this sounds really scary, especially given the fact that you were told it had happened to other TLXs as well !
And then the tranny thing.....wow.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how this unfolds for you.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I usually am not a car forum kind of guy, but wanted to share my experience with this new TLX( 4cyl 8 speed), to potential buyers / leases.

To start out this new 15' TLX is my 4th Acura. I have always been a Honda fan and especially like the refined treatment Acura provides. I most recently was driving a 2011 TSX, a car that I was very sad to part with.

After having this car for almost a month now all I can say is how incredibly disappointed I am with the car. I know, let that sink in, I am not here praising the all mighty TLX..
Thanks for posting your first post and welcome. I agree that we appreciate all news about the TLX, even the bad. Thanks for sharing.

As others have said, I hope you get the TLX squared away. I have had my TLX for less than 2 weeks and I see no issues at this time. I can understand your frustration after waiting so long to get it and then have this happen.

I also traded in my 2011 TSX. It was a great car. I try not to be sentimental about cars, but it was in perfect shape to trade-in for a new one. I hope my TLX holds up.

Please keep the news coming. If it is in fact happening to other TLXs, I am sure we will hear from our diverse group. We need to be aware of how reliable this car is and stay tuned for recalls and the like.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again,

I would like to first say thank you for the kind support. Still no hard update other than the car is still in the shop. I will be sure to let everyone know how this all unfolds.

For those who do have the same model 4cyl 8 speed, have you felt an unnecessary amount of shifting during normal city driving ( 20-40 mph)? My car would be in 5th gear going 25 mph, then when i get to a red light and brake, i could physically feel the transmission downshifting all those gears to get to an eventual 1st... to say it feels sloppy is an understatement.

To end with a positive because I know I have been nothing but doom and gloom, while on the gas in sport + mode the shifts are very quick and sharp, much faster shift times than my TSX. Also another positive, went with the black copper paint and brown leather seats, very nice combo, have received tons of compliments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is troubling. I am considering purchasing the 4cyl this week. Did you hear this is a problem also with the 6cyl? I am so sorry this is your experience with your new car.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Hello again,

I would like to first say thank you for the kind support. Still no hard update other than the car is still in the shop. I will be sure to let everyone know how this all unfolds.

For those who do have the same model 4cyl 8 speed, have you felt an unnecessary amount of shifting during normal city driving ( 20-40 mph)? My car would be in 5th gear going 25 mph, then when i get to a red light and brake, i could physically feel the transmission downshifting all those gears to get to an eventual 1st... to say it feels sloppy is an understatement.

To end with a positive because I know I have been nothing but doom and gloom, while on the gas in sport + mode the shifts are very quick and sharp, much faster shift times than my TSX. Also another positive, went with the black copper paint and brown leather seats, very nice combo, have received tons of compliments.
Very nice color combination. I would have loved to had the espresso interior in my car if it was offered. I also like the black copper pearl. I just wished it was a bit lighter to be more distinctive from the black pearl and graphite. Still a nice combo.

I drive 75% of the time on the turnpike or interstate and haven't experienced what you have seen. Apparently it doesn't look like a simple adjustment, but hopefully they will find a fix soon.

Definitely keep us in the loop and thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Maybe you can somehow convince your dealership or Acura corporate to just give you a new one. I mean, you've only had it for a month. And if I were Acura, I'd rather have this lemon in my possession and figure out all the problems in private. Do you mind if I ask where you're from?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I am anxious to hear about the progress of Acura resolving your issues. I have been checking back regularly to hear of any news.

I am hoping it turns out well. Every TLX driver should be happy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Maybe you can somehow convince your dealership or Acura corporate to just give you a new one. I mean, you've only had it for a month. And if I were Acura, I'd rather have this lemon in my possession and figure out all the problems in private. Do you mind if I ask where you're from?
I think it would be a great testament to their commitment to quality and customer support although I don’t recall an example like that when a manufacturer willingly offers such a deal. Usually, when it happens it is driven by lemon laws that can be different in different states, if I am not mistaken.
What I've always liked about Honda (TLX is my first Acura), though is how they dealt with my warranty issues – never a problem. We leased a 2003 Odyssey and it was a lemon, IMO. Paint issue, faulty transmission (replaced twice), noisy rack and pinion, failed ventilation motor, etc. but they never questioned my dissatisfaction and addressed all issues promptly under the warranty. Not every brand is like that. So I am hoping that Acura is even better and takes customer satisfaction seriously, espacially for this new product.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Afternoon,

Here with an update on the transmission issue. The tech's have been taking "snapshots" of the transmission during all types of shifting scenarios this week, and sending them to the Acura transmission engineers. An update or software change was installed, which i can assume has to deal with the electronic shifting yesterday. The tech said he can noticeably feel the car shift differently, which is a good sign i guess. Car is still in the shop tonight so the engineers can evaluate everything tomorrow.

In regards to my future with the car.... well see, they are legitimately trying everything in their power to fix the problem so i will give them that. I have never had a problem with a Honda so I am more miffed than anything, especially because this is the most expensive one I have owned.

More to come....

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Afternoon,

Here with an update on the transmission issue.
Car is still in the shop tonight so the engineers can evaluate everything tomorrow.
I have never had a problem with a Honda so I am more miffed than anything, especially because this is the most expensive one I have owned.

More to come....
Best of luck!

Hopefully this is your last issue with Acura.

<knock on wood> I have been very lucky with all of the Hondas and Acuras I have owned in the past. Hopefully this was a one-off experience and you have nothing but good driving ahead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The verdict: full transmission replacement. I believe the main problem is with the dual clutches but wasn't told everything. I am going to fight to the death to get rid of this lemon. Good luck everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
That's unfortunate especially with a month old car. I would push the dealer and then corporate if they won't help you. Far too much money to spend to have a transmission go already.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
The verdict: full transmission replacement. I believe the main problem is with the dual clutches but wasn't told everything. I am going to fight to the death to get rid of this lemon. Good luck everyone!
They will replace it for free, except for your time spent worrying and waiting?

I found this in my manuals CD in the glove box.

Acura Client Relations
800-382-2238
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.