Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the A1 notice for the oil change notification.

Glad to report that no other issues are outstanding.

I do plan to get the ECM update for the Rear Cross Traffic Beeps and the ELS/NAV/HFL new options and fixes.

I also plan to see if the latest TSB applies to me. My VIN was in the listed range.

Happy Driving!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Given your happiness so far ( like me), i hope software resets dont make things worse!

Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
438 Posts
wow looks like u drive quite a bit per year

though i am hitting 6700km on my ODO and i only had it for 3 months lol (because of my recent road trip stateside), engine oil life at 50% currently

i get a feeling that engine oil life lasts longer (or oil life % decreases less) if you drive on the highway more often compared to stop and go city traffic

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow looks like u drive quite a bit per year

though i am hitting 6700km on my ODO and i only had it for 3 months lol (because of my recent road trip stateside), engine oil life at 50% currently

i get a feeling that engine oil life lasts longer (or oil life % decreases less) if you drive on the highway more often compared to stop and go city traffic
Very nice tag line graphics. :)

Yeah I drive more than the average driver. I know others who easily beat my record, but it still is a lot. I figured out that I usually drive about 18,900 miles a year. Most of the drive is from home in one county to work in another. I get to listen to a lot of audio books.

I only took a 400-mile trip once early on. Since then it has been mostly highway to and from work.

I agree with you. Highway miles make the oil life last longer.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at the dealer for 5 1/2 hours today.

Glad that is finally done. I took the TLX in for its first oil change and tire rotation. I decided to get all of the updates available. I should have made an appointment and got a loaner car. I was at the dealer for 5 1/2 hours today. What a waste of a good Saturday.

Turns out it takes an hour or so to run each update. The rep said that the car needs to connect to the Acura network. When the updates first came out, it could take them 3 days to get a successful connection where the update completed. So I guess I got out early.

Anyhow, I got caught up on some TV, email and audio book reading. Even got to sit outside a bit. Weather was very pleasant in the 70s.

I went in with all of the paperwork and PDFs I could find on the TLX updates. The rep wasn't familiar with the latest TSB about the torqued nuts, but he wrote up a ticket as if I had the issue. In the end, my TLX nuts were torqued.

I did not realize that the OMD update was separate from the Rear Cross-Traffic Beeps update. The OMD took care of various issues with ELS, NAV and HFL.

I also had them check my AC recirc vent. I thought the fumes were a bit strong when following behind a truck. I thought the vent might not be working. The tech checked and all was well.

Driving home I saw the progress indicator in the top left corner.

I am not sure when I will complete the update with the weekend being here with little driving. By the time I went to dinner and got home the progress indicator was at 22%

I remembered one of the updates had to do with editing the order of the Audio Source selections. I swapped out Pandora for i-stuff since I have an Android phone. I am impressed with the quality of Pandora when I listened on the way home.

I should have cleaned my touch screen before taking the photo. Guess that is a Sunday thing to do tomorrow.

One thing I did notice was that some of my settings were reset to default. I also had to re-pair the phone. The only settings I found affected were my phone speed-dials and sound settings. Luckily I had taken a photo of my sound settings from when my DJ friend tuned my stereo.

I did notice that there is more information presented on the lower screen concerning your music selection. You practically don't need the top screen any more for audio, unless you have to see the album art. Seems like they may have added more to the touch screen like direct access to the sound settings. Maybe I can find an old pic and compare.

I haven't tested the Rear Cross-Traffic Monitor for beeps. I figured I can wait till the update has made it to 100%.

So far so good.

·
Registered
438 Posts
is the 4hr MP3 playback limit via USB still there?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Great update and ty for the details.

Prior to your day at the dealership, how did you know what updates were available? I enter my VIN on the Acura website and it says nothing available...is that correct?

·
Registered
438 Posts
the dealer will likely have more accurate updates than the acura website

for me, they notified me via email about the rear cross traffic monitor update, but its not listed when i enter my VIN on acura's website

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is the 4hr MP3 playback limit via USB still there?
Don't know. I forgot to check.

I did see that they made it easier to delete individual tracks on the HDD.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great update and ty for the details.

Prior to your day at the dealership, how did you know what updates were available? I enter my VIN on the Acura website and it says nothing available...is that correct?
From reading here and elsewhere online, I knew I was entitled to the update for rear cross traffic beeps. I also knew I was eligible for the NAV\ELS\HF updates. Just last week I saw the TSB for the clunk sound when you drove over a bump. Although I didn't have a clunk, they torqued my TLX nuts per the TSB I provided.

Some of the updates, I found my VIN was included in the range. I think the check you did was for recalls. The TSBs are separate, I believe.

Look over the TSBs and print them out to take to the dealer. You can always ask. They didn't have any TCM for the transmission, that I heard about elsewhere, but I didn't push it since my tranny is fine.

Made it up to 50% completion of the updates as seen on the NAV console.

There seems to be updates to the system that I did not know about beforehand. It would be nice to find an updated list.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool! They also update the GPS maps... :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got the A1 notice for the oil change notification.

Glad to report that no other issues are outstanding.

I do plan to get the ECM update for the Rear Cross Traffic Beeps and the ELS/NAV/HFL new options and fixes.

I also plan to see if the latest TSB applies to me. My VIN was in the listed range.

Happy Driving!

Nice! Glad to know there is no issue! Is this your very first maintenance for it? I vaguely remembered my dealer said the fist maintenance will be at 1500 miles. But I could be wrong. The dealer said that when he recommend me the Acura maintenance package...I hope he was not just to sale me the package...

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! Glad to know there is no issue! Is this your very first maintenance for it? I vaguely remembered my dealer said the fist maintenance will be at 1500 miles. But I could be wrong. The dealer said that when he recommend me the Acura maintenance package...I hope he was not just to sale me the package...
This was my first scheduled maintenance. I know when I was a younger driver they recommended changing the oil at 500 to 1000 to remove the metal shavings from the oil. I guess they have a better system now? I have never changed my oil early in any Honda or Accord I have owned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My TLX has almost 10k miles and A1 just appeared. Scheduled it for oil change and mentioned the cold shifting transmission problem and the updates. Got the 6:30 AM appt and loaner after hearing this takes several hours for the update. I love the 36-38 mpg on the highway and 1.95 per gallon for high octane gas. Just need the transmission issue fixed to live up to my expectation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought my TLX last week and wondered if it were okay to request to have the first oil change at around 3000 miles (since the first one is free)??

I got 5 free oil changes with the car purchase and only drive about 5K a year. Wanted to do the first oil change early b/c of engine break-in, metal particles, etc.. or does Acura use special "break-in" oil with new cars?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just bought my TLX last week and wondered if it were okay to request to have the first oil change at around 3000 miles (since the first one is free)??

I got 5 free oil changes with the car purchase and only drive about 5K a year. Wanted to do the first oil change early b/c of engine break-in, metal particles, etc.. or does Acura use special "break-in" oil with new cars?
No special break-in oil was used in my TLX. Maybe you can request it?

My first oil change was shortly after the A1 light came on. I haven't changed oil early in a car since 1977. At that time I changed it at 500 miles or so. Ever since then, no one said I should change it early. Guess it cannot hurt.

Every one has an opinion. Pick one you like. :D

My Dad changes his oil every 3,000 miles. I go with what the manual and car tell me. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder...if the cross traffic update and the ELS/Nav update could have contained a transmission update because my early morning transmission jerks have all but disappeared since the A1 & updates were done on Friday with 10k miles. From a PR stand point it gets Acura out of a potential recall announcement and not admitting a design problem with the i4 transmission. I was provided a TLX 9 speed and I must say that the I4 is smoother once warmed and after the update it would seem the I4 is better overall. I do like the power in the V6 and seems to provide the "thrill" when in sport + and entering the freeway. I think I merged onto the freeway doing 80 mph and shutting it down just short of 100 mph. That was a fun way to finish off my time in the loaner. No regrets on buying the 4 just a click of the trip computer validates my true need 38 mpg. I'd never see that in the V6, I would always be searching for the thrill, mpg be damned!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wonder...if the cross traffic update and the ELS/Nav update could have contained a transmission update because my early morning transmission jerks have all but disappeared since the A1 & updates were done on Friday with 10k miles. From a PR stand point it gets Acura out of a potential recall announcement and not admitting a design problem with the i4 transmission. I was provided a TLX 9 speed and I must say that the I4 is smoother once warmed and after the update it would seem the I4 is better overall. I do like the power in the V6 and seems to provide the "thrill" when in sport + and entering the freeway. I think I merged onto the freeway doing 80 mph and shutting it down just short of 100 mph. That was a fun way to finish off my time in the loaner. No regrets on buying the 4 just a click of the trip computer validates my true need 38 mpg. I'd never see that in the V6, I would always be searching for the thrill, mpg be damned!
That's great news about the tranny. I just received notice about the cross traffic update and will schedule something soon at my dealership. I've had the Nav update but still have my own rough shifting issues. I'll discuss this with them again when I take it in.
Totally agree with your comments on the V6. The power from that engine is amazing. Half of me wishes I had gone that direction but considering I only purchase gas once a month with my I4, the other half of me keeps saying I made the right decision.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts