Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had my TLX 2 weeks as of this afternoon.

We may need to make a special section on the forum for 2015+ TLX Problems/Issues.

I went out to the car for lunch and I found two major system problems.

#1 . Emissions System Problem with a cute cutout of an engine in yellow.

#2 . Electric Parking Brake Problem with a cute P with an ! mark in yellow.

Also on the MID, I got a display and verbal message, Parking Brake System:U0401-68. The Electric Parking Brake may not operate properly. Select VOICE for details.

VOICE mentioned that I shouldn't park on any hills or sloping surface. I am glad I live in a flat state. :)

I already have an appointment scheduled with the dealer tomorrow to install my spare tire kit. I called the salesman and he added remarks to check these issues are well. :(

I should have stayed away from Sodfather. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
It sucks to have these problems but it is expected with a new car, especiallly a car in its' first generation. Keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its always disappointing to get issues like this popping up so soon after starting to drive the vehicle though. You'd expect it to hold together a bit longer. You'll have to let us know how it goes at the dealer. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Unfortunately the first owners get to be the guinea pigs. Hopefully it's an easy fix and you're back on the road quickly.

I've had first generation cars twice in my life and I vowed never again. I'll see how things go in the forums over the next little while. Maybe a '16 would be the better choice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I purchased a first generation MDX last year and had not issue whatsoever from day 1. It is not acceptable that you get so many issue with a new car for the price we pay we expect the car to rum without issues first generation or not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I purchased a first generation MDX last year and had not issue whatsoever from day 1. It is not acceptable that you get so many issue with a new car for the price we pay we expect the car to rum without issues first generation or not.
It's hard to say that just because a car costs a lot, it should come without problems, especially the first model year of a new model or after a generation change. Bugs are going to happen. As long as there aren't too many and they're not major, it's how they respond to issues found that matters.

·
Registered
438 Posts
really sorry to see what OP is going through

so does the TLX has a manual hand brake of some sort? either in form of a shaft (which i dont see) or a pedal you step on with your left foot

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really sorry to see what OP is going through

so does the TLX has a manual hand brake of some sort? either in form of a shaft (which i dont see) or a pedal you step on with your left foot
No. Nothing outside of a push button. It's an odd feeling not to have something more substantial to hold onto or push with your foot.

The system said there is an Electrical Brake problem, but the push button brake seems to work okay. I just hope the indicator section needs tweaking.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sucks to have these problems but it is expected with a new car, especiallly a car in its' first generation. Keep us posted on how things go.
I took the car into Acura this morning. They gave me a loaner 2014 TSX Tech to get around town in the mean time. No estimated fix time. I also get my spare tire kit installed today.

I hope the issue is something simple to fix like bad indicators. The car still drives great. We'll see. Hope to hear something back soon.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i know everybody's driving habits is different, but here's what i learned when i got my new lexus CT200h half a year ago:

the electronic parking brake is for parking on a flat surface like a parking lot. this is done by simply press the P button or shifting to P. there is no need to use the hand brake and it's a matter of convenience and one less thing to do before getting out of the car.

if you park on a slope then you apply the manual hand brake. in the case of my lexus there is a pedal you press with your left foot. you can apply the hand brake every time you park (even on a flat surface), one more step to do but gives you extra security that the car will but budge or move around. i do this every time even if parking on flat surface simply for safety

i wonder if the TLX has a electric + manual system like this

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use of parking brake

you can apply the hand brake every time you park (even on a flat surface), one more step to do but gives you extra security that the car will but budge or move around. i do this every time even if parking on flat surface simply for safety

i wonder if the TLX has a electric + manual system like this
There is no other form of a brake in the TLX, except the brake pedal and the Electronic Brake. (If you find one, please let me know.:) ) I guess I could block the tire like they do for airplanes. The gear selection P for Park is not really a brake. I found out long ago on a family trip when we were on a ferry, the ferry lurched someway and our car bumped the car in front of us by rolling into it. The Park selector may have improved, but I still place the parking brake on when the ground is slightly sloped or greatly sloped. If it is greatly sloped, I remember to curb the tires (San Francisco comes to mind). Our parking lots in South Florida are built on flat ground, but occasionally, like in a parking garage, you can find slopes. I take vacations to see the slopes. :laugh:

When my Electronic Brake failed, according to the indicator and the car's "voice", the car verbally told me to not park on a slope till after I get it fixed. I checked the Electronic brake and it seemed to work. But who am I to argue when the car told me straight to my face.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weekend Update

Good luck with the fix. You'll have to let us know what's involved with the spare tire kit.

Nice that you got another TLX for a loaner.
Just got word back from my dealer's service manager... The service dept. would like to keep the car over the weekend and work directly with Acura engineers on Monday to fully understand and document the issues found with my car. He mentioned that it could involve a simple resolution, but Acura has told him that they want to be aware of any issues with the TLX. He said to enjoy the loaner.

The loaner is a 2014 Tech TSX in gray. I thought about getting a TSX just like this one when I was going to trade in my 2011 Base TSX, but decided to wait for the TLX. The TSX is a great car and I almost feel bad for trading in my 2011 TSX while it was in such good shape. Then again, I really enjoy the feel and drive of the TLX.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sweet loaner and the response you got back from Acura was great, at least they're putting in real effort to stop the problem across the board.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I miss my car

It's only been a couple of days since I had to take my new TLX in for evaluation/resolution.

I am already used to the TLX features even over a 2-week ownership. I miss them when I drive the loaner 2014 TLX I4 Tech. Although the 2014 TSX is still a nice car.

The radio and nav definitely have improved when comparing the TLX and TSX.

I am looking forward to learn what Acura and my dealer find out tomorrow.

Hopefully the car can come home with me. :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hope this will take no time and you will get your car back pronto. When I hear this type of a story, like "we need more time with your car" I worry that they don't really have a clue what they are dealing with. I just hope that Acura mechanics have been already trained on TLX and know more about the car than some of the sales stuff....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I experienced similar issues. Started the car and immediately was inundated with warning lights. VSA, power steering, brakes, slope control.y dealership had me towed in immediately. Service was closed so I won't get an update until tomorrow.

I was given a 2014 ILX hybrid loaner.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hope this will take no time and you will get your car back pronto. When I hear this type of a story, like "we need more time with your car" I worry that they don't really have a clue what they are dealing with. I just hope that Acura mechanics have been already trained on TLX and know more about the car than some of the sales stuff....
Updated on 9/29/14

Spoke with my service rep and he said they want to keep the car over for one more night. They said that the car checks out fine. They want to drive it some more. They reset the indicators and want to see if they return. So I guess they really did not find the issue. I said I can test for you on my 34 mile drive to work. Then they mentioned that the "accessory tech" was off today but will be into work tomorrow to install my spare tire kit. (Apparently there is some drilling involved.) Okay I can wait one more day. The 2014 TSX loaner is not a bad car, but I look forward to driving my TLX again. :)

Another odd note. I have been waiting for the difference from my refund for my Trade-in and the down payment on the lease. Should have been here Friday. Not here today on Monday. I did get my first billing statement for next month's payment. Wouldn't you know.:)

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I experienced similar issues. Started the car and immediately was inundated with warning lights. VSA, power steering, brakes, slope control.y dealership had me towed in immediately. Service was closed so I won't get an update until tomorrow.

I was given a 2014 ILX hybrid loaner.
Sorry to hear we are in the same boat, so to speak. Slope Control?

Hopefully it will be just a faulty indicator issue. At least that is what I am hoping. The car drove fine and everything seemed to work.

Good Luck and keep us posted. Any pics?

Also, how is the 2014 ILX hybrid loaner?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.