Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been eight months since I got my TLX and I never really did do an introduction. I'm not on as active as many of the members on here so I guess you can call me more of a lurker :D. I'm 32 and do sysadmin type work, so the TLX was a big attraction to me given all of the tech that's in the car. I'm loyal to Acura as I've owned 3 now. I loved both the GS-R and RSX Type S as they were both small, nimble, and quick. I was reluctant to give up driving manual transmission especially since they are becoming less common, but given the traffic I have to deal with in DC to commute between MD and VA, I took the dive. I can't be any happier :)

I considered the TLX and the Q50. I liked the Q50's power a lot, but it certainly didn't have the quiet ride that the TLX has. It was also riddled with issues with the InTouch system which were actually borderline hazardous and the trunk in that car was a joke.

• Power when you need it
  • The two screen setup is very clean and although I have a couple of gripes about it, I think it could leave room for further development of features which you can't do easily with buttons
  • Traffic and Navi works very well in my opinion - I know longer have to rely on Google and Waze to get around though sometimes I reference them to compare :)
  • Voice commands took some getting used to since it was weird talking to a car, but they work really well in my opinion
  • LED lights are brighter and wider than any other car I've driven
  • ELS Sound System - Coming from a little coupe, this is a big step up for me. I know some don't share the same opinon, but I think it sounds great.
  • Not having to shift gears in heavy traffic :D

Dislikes (more like nitpicky things):
  • No auto-lock when closing door and walking away with key. To me, sometimes its awkward when you are waiting by the door waiting for everyone to get out just to push a button on the door. My wife's Mazda3 locks the door automatically if the key gets out of range. I really like that feature.
  • I would have thought that Acura would have put a clock somewhere on the MID. Like between the gear selection and information screen.
  • No buttons for seat heater - I have to press the screen multiple times to enable seat heat then back to audio screen
  • No spare tire! Still thinking about getting one installed.
  • Can't permanently disable auto-stop. I've at least gotten into the habit of shutting it off every time I turn the car on.
  • Sometimes it struggles to find the right gear to downshift to or it lags a little too long before downshifting.
  • 2nd to 3rd bump, but it has gotten better or maybe I'm just used to it.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Excellent review. It's good to see that you haven't had any major issues over the first 8 months. I too moved up from a smaller car so the change is significant.

·
Registered
979 Posts
glad to hear that your liking it. i'm coming from the same linup of cars (integra then RSX) and gave up driving 5spd but i'm with you!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dislikes (more like nitpicky things):
  • No spare tire! Still thinking about getting one installed.
  • 2nd to 3rd bump, but it has gotten better or maybe I'm just used to it.
I understand that the lack of a spare tire is your dislike, but the consider that the car did not come with tinted windows, body kit, clear shield covering for the front either. But if you want it you can get it. Now you cannot do anything about no auto-lock or auto-sop default not being disabled, so those are real dislikes.

I believe that the 2nd to 3rd bump is temperature related and will confirm that in 6 months when the cold is back. Mine generally has a minor bump when just starting but get the tranny heated and it is smooth under brisk acceleration.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Its quite possible that the ATF Acura is using takes some time to smooth/thin out when its cold and it wont shift as smooth until it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
thanks for the rundown....keep us informed.
Did you get any of the software updates to address the 2/3 bump?
I am very curious to see if the newly made vehicles have the problem or if it is limited to cars made prior to say March 2015. Same with the i4 DCT.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I picked up my car in early December. I still feel the 2-3 bump now. I also think 1 and 2 seem to slip or race, unlike any other car i have had

But havent been to the dealership yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the rundown....keep us informed.
Did you get any of the software updates to address the 2/3 bump?
I am very curious to see if the newly made vehicles have the problem or if it is limited to cars made prior to say March 2015. Same with the i4 DCT.
I have yet to visit the dealership for anything since I got the car. I'm actually just coming up on my first oil change so will talk to them about possible software updates as well. I did read through the ones posted on the forum, but it's been a while so I'll probably read through them again before scheduling the appointment. Based on what I've seen on the forums though, I haven't noticed any correlation relating to the manufacture date.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that the lack of a spare tire is your dislike, but the consider that the car did not come with tinted windows, body kit, clear shield covering for the front either. But if you want it you can get it. Now you cannot do anything about no auto-lock or auto-sop default not being disabled, so those are real dislikes.

I believe that the 2nd to 3rd bump is temperature related and will confirm that in 6 months when the cold is back. Mine generally has a minor bump when just starting but get the tranny heated and it is smooth under brisk acceleration.
To me, there's a difference between a spare tire and the others you have listed. I realize that it is something that I can purchase and get installed like the others, but it is something that is important if I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of the night with a tire blowout or something not repairable and with no cell phone service. I would probably have to wait for hours for a tow truck to get the car towed... etc, etc. Yes, an inconvenience (but time is money?) when I could have put the spare on in maybe 15 minutes. Besides, if I get it, I won't have to use it right? ;)

Concerning the 2nd-3rd bump, I agree, that seems to be the case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just picked up my TLX 2 weeks ago and didn't notice any 2nd-3rd bump at all... Maybe the real test have to wait till winter time....... ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents

Picked up my SHAWD in April, has a March 2015 production date, and it has the 2-3 bump

Wanted to put a decent number of miles on it to see if any other "issues" pop up before I take it in to the dealership. So far the transmission is my only major complaint.

My only minor complaint is the turn-signal "lever" is rather stiff to turn on the turn-signal. I have to apply a good amount of pressure to "lock" it in to left or right signal... hopefully it's something they can fix without tearing the steering column to pieces... Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had myTLX since the end of February and have not experienced any transmission issues. There is a very slight pause when going from reverse to drive and from drive to reverse but I think it is about the same as it was on previous transmissions that I drove.

No complaints what so ever about the turn signal lever.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have yet to visit the dealership for anything since I got the car. I'm actually just coming up on my first oil change so will talk to them about possible software updates as well. I did read through the ones posted on the forum, but it's been a while so I'll probably read through them again before scheduling the appointment. Based on what I've seen on the forums though, I haven't noticed any correlation relating to the manufacture date.
Thanks for the update. The reason I ask is that many have discussed an update process that involves a 2 step "relearn"....not entirely sure what that means. Some have said that the process improves the shifts, but is time consuming and requires careful procedure by the tech to perform correctly....if not done exactly right then no improvement.

My thinking was that Acura would apply that to all new cars before leaving the factory, so late production cars would already have this process done and done correctly.

I guess that I am just hopeful that this is resolved quickly. I am looking to buy in 2016 and would like to make it a TLX, but I have had bad transmission experiences with my 2G TL that I do not want to repeat.

Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ Or it has a software version that works well.
Thanks for the update. The reason I ask is that many have discussed an update process that involves a 2 step "relearn"....not entirely sure what that means. Some have said that the process improves the shifts, but is time consuming and requires careful procedure by the tech to perform correctly....if not done exactly right then no improvement.

My thinking was that Acura would apply that to all new cars before leaving the factory, so late production cars would already have this process done and done correctly.

I guess that I am just hopeful that this is resolved quickly. I am looking to buy in 2016 and would like to make it a TLX, but I have had bad transmission experiences with my 2G TL that I do not want to repeat.

Good luck.

@TLX2014 - My *out of left field* theory makes me think that there may be a disconnect between how the vehicles were tested in the development and production phases that in turn caused an minor issue with how the ECU is controlling the tranny. I can't say I understand much about the whole transition from development to production process, but it is surprising that Acura would leave such a noticeable jolt in a shift. Not something I would expect from a luxury brand. I believe it can be fixed by a software update.
@fenderstrat69 - I do remember reading about the re-learning process. It would be great if that was the all-around fix, but apparently it isn't since a TSB hasn't been released for it. I'd rather not go down that path if it's not the official fix as for me the jolt is not horrible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great review. So I've heard different opinions about the performance of the Acura Navigation system but you say you really like it.
You don't have any gripes whatsoever about the Nav's performance or accuracy? I wonder if the performance/GPS lock will be heavily influenced by which area of the country you are in..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great review. So I've heard different opinions about the performance of the Acura Navigation system but you say you really like it.
You don't have any gripes whatsoever about the Nav's performance or accuracy? I wonder if the performance/GPS lock will be heavily influenced by which area of the country you are in..
Apart from occasionally having the address on the wrong side of the street, the performance and accuracy has been very good. I haven't noticed any lag. I'll try a few more times and will report back if I see a change.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents

My only minor complaint is the turn-signal "lever" is rather stiff to turn on the turn-signal. I have to apply a good amount of pressure to "lock" it in to left or right signal... hopefully it's something they can fix without tearing the steering column to pieces... Anyone else experience this?
I have only seen that issue once in my life when I drove a 1966 Chevy Impala Supper Sport. The turn signal shift had to be replaced. Besides being hard to use it did not latch into place like you would expect.

Definitely worth taking to the dealer on your first oil change, if not sooner.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Apart from occasionally having the address on the wrong side of the street, the performance and accuracy has been very good. I haven't noticed any lag. I'll try a few more times and will report back if I see a change.
Personally I have no gripes with the Nav as well. I have used the GPS/Nav in the city many times and used it a couple of times on trips out of town.

What issues have you seen? Maybe someone can try to duplicate them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So far the only issue I have had with the navigation system is the location of my home address (probably a good security feature). It shows my home about a block from where it really exists. :laugh: As far as destinations when I use the nav system it has been spot on. That includes finding the entrance to a parking garage in downtown Indianapolis.:)

So far it has also done a good job in recalculating routes when I decide to stray from the course it has set for me.>:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts