Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So saturday I'm driving my awd tlx and i start to hear a knock coming from the motor. I stop and check the oil and it wasn't even reading on the dipstick and my oil sensor never came on. I call Acura to make an appointment to drop my car off. I got oil dropped off to me, I'm only a quarter mile from my house i put the oil in and start my car. the noise gets louder so i turn it off and have acura pick it up. I get a call from the dealer saying my car threw a rod and that they're aren't going to cover it because i have an aftermarket exhaust on my car. I asked the guy why my car is losing oil he doesn't know. He looked all over the motor and trans and theres no sign of oil leaking. The car has 36000 miles on it and never leaked oil before or burned it. He calls me later this afternoon to ask me if i did any ECU changes to the car i said no why? he said the only time you throw a rod is when you rev the car past its limit and the only way to do that is to change the ECU settings. They will let me know what the verdict is tomorrow :(

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX Elite A Spec
5 Posts
What ended up happening in your situation? Mine is knocking and the dealer hasn't heard back from Acura. The only question they asked me was if I changed the oil. Which I had another shop do.

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine problems. Have you done any modification(s) to your vehicle? Perhaps a cold air intake or some special oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No. My vehicle is completely stock. They're trying to give me a hard time because I didnt get my oil change done at their dealership. They want proof that I changed the oil.

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
Magnuson Moss prevents denial of warranty because you changed the oil yourself or had a shop do it for you.

More likely they are concerned to see if you changed the oil regularly and used the proper oil and filter. If you changed the oil at a shop, either the shop will have the records or you should have the receipts. If the dealership suspects a lubrication problem, this would be the first thing to check. Next step would likely be to send in a sample of the oil for an oil analysis.

Don’t be too harsh with the dealership as they are only following Acura warranty policies. Acura has specific rules and regulations for replacing pretty much every part. High dollar items like an engine or transmission have even more rules and regulations. If you didn’t have the oil changed at the dealership, that is fine, but you then must show proof that you had it done and it was done correctly, meaning that they will check to make sure you used the correct oil and filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased my own oil (0w20), and the filter I purchased from the Acura dealer. Then I took it to an oil change shop and paid them to do my service. I have records of everything. I service both my Acura's as soon as the maintenance reminders get to 0%

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
What year is your vehicle and how many miles currently on it?
Are we speaking about the 3.5L engine?
Is your mileage mainly highway or city?
Do you do any towing or carry any heavy loads in the vehicle?
Is the vehicle a lease or purchase?
What gasoline octane do you use?
The 0w20 oil you use, what brand is it?
Are you really sure the shop you went to used your oil and didn't do a switch-a-roo with a cheaper oil?
How often do you check your oil level?

Having records for everything that shows both mileage and date should be sufficient for Acura. They will likely still want to do an oil analysis to make sure the oil you claim you used wasn't switched out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is 2016 with about 85k kilometers. It has the 3.5L engine. It is a combination of highway and city driving. Have never towed anything and do not carry heavy loads. It was purchased with 75k kilometers. I use 91 octane (which is considered premium in Canada). The oil I used recently is Castrol Edge full synthetic 0w20. I am a regular at the shop I go to and they even let me go underneath the vehicle and inspect things myself. I watched them everytime. I usually check my oil level every second time I'm filling up at the gas station. I take care of all my vehicles very well. They are usually spotless as well. I am honestly shocked that this engine has prematurely failed, and so suddenly.

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
Thanks for the answers. This leads to another set of questions:
What is the age of the person you bought the car from?
Were you able to examine the service records of the previous owner?
Do you not suspect the prior owner - might of abused this vehicle?
Was it a lease,.rental or dealer salesmen vehicle prior?
Have you ran a CarFax on your vehicle?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts