Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Acura isn't saying make or break but they are certainly dancing around the phrase...

From Auto News:

"The TLX will do on the car side what the RDX and MDX have done on the truck side," said John Mendel, American Honda's executive vice president of sales. "I don't know if it's a make-or-break car for Acura, but it's certainly very important."
In fact I think it may be make or break, yes the SUV's are doing well, but the RDX is going to face pressure from a slew of marquee made small crossovers and the MDX is going to face refreshed models from the likes of Infiniti and BMW shortly...

·
Registered
260 Posts
"Make or break"???

Does that mean that Acura is actually thinking of just shutting down all together? I mean if the TLX doesn't sell well, what would be Acura's next move? I guess they are still saving the NSX for release sometime in the next 100 years.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think its make or break
The TL use to be their best selling car.

If they can recapture that along with boosting the new MDX sales.

And if they fix the ILX.

I think they could very likely improve sales greatly.
It's a question of if they WANT to.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sure the NSX is cool, but what does Acura making an NSX have to do with my family hauler? I just don't see the correlation between supercar and grocery getter.

·
Registered
727 Posts
sure the NSX is cool, but what does Acura making an NSX have to do with my family hauler? I just don't see the correlation between supercar and grocery getter.
My statement has to do with how they have improved from generation to generation. So far it seems they're doing an amazing job with the new NSX. But the TLX, it's good, but not great. It's a disappointment especially when you compare it to the rest of the luxury sedans in this segment.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think that it is less a matter of "make or break" and more a matter of "opportunity missed."

Acura had such a great opportunity to move their design language forward, but they just did more of the same. I wish Acura would embrace the NSX's design more and move that design into the rest of its vehicles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
the 3rd gen TL and 1st gen TSX were very well favored designs. Instead of continuing those designs they botched the new designs by going with something completely different

·
Registered
727 Posts
I like the new design, better than the past, it's just it's performance that needs to be improved. and interior, we haven't seen anything yet

·
Registered
339 Posts
well its edgier than the 4th gen side.

i think going with a brave and controversial design on the 4th gen and having it react poorly by the press and consumers kind of scared acura off from going with edgy designs.

there is nothing wrong with edgy designs.. acura just chose the WRONG edge for the 4th gen

now the 5th gen is alot rounder and less controversial. was it out of fear? not sure.. but its going to be accepted by more people.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Acura took a brave move and tried to come out with a wild design like Lexus did on the new cars

but i guess the world didnt follow as well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Lexus just did a much better job, crazy how well their cars sell. New Lexus IS comes out....see them everywhere. New ILX comes out.... hardly see any

·
Registered
339 Posts
yea their designs are doing well

they have some that hate it and some that love it

but enough who live it to make it work

in acuras case

they had some who liked it, most who hated it. didnt work in their favor in terms of numbers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.