Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX Type S
59 Posts
Here is a company “P2R Power Rev Racing” that does product development for the TLX Types…

PRL motorsports has a few things in the pipeline…

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honest question: if you wanted something faster, why not go the route of an S4, S5, or 340i, 440i, etc?

Ktuner support will be coming so you can flash the ECU, and you can piggyback the ECU with a JB4.

You can make the Type S faster, but there are already faster luxury sedans out there that won’t cause you to void your warranty if the tune is detected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honest question: if you wanted something faster, why not go the route of an S4, S5, or 340i, 440i, etc?

Ktuner support will be coming so you can flash the ECU, and you can piggyback the ECU with a JB4.

You can make the Type S faster, but there are already faster luxury sedans out there that won’t cause you to void your warranty if the tube is detected.
This would make sense but think of the benefits of getting an Acura vs European sports sedan:
  1. Upfront cost. S4 for example starts at $52k and some change before getting to all the options/upgrades. And the M3 sedan starts at $72k!

My Type S off the lot was ~$56k, before trade-in.

2. Maintenance. While I've only had my Type S since July, I am confident with consistent oil changes and general maintenance that the costs will be much less in 3-5 years in comparison to owning a Euro. My dad owned an Audi A6 for years and it became a complete headache to keep it maintained after 75k.

Type S is a glorified Honda at the end of the day and we all know how reliable Hondas are. I owned a 2008 Honda Accord and had no issues outside of a head gasket which even then was not that costly in the grand scheme of things. Lastly, I see a ton of old Acuras still on the road (granted they likely sell more units than most Euro brands...)

3. More upgradeable. I'm no mechanic, but there is a huge aftermarket for performance parts for Honda/Acura and just about anyone can work on their engines. I would be afraid as hell to try and upgrade a brand new S4, M340i, M3, etc.. without going to someone who I had a lot of experience working on such cars. But to your point, you buy one of those cars then you probably wouldn't need to do a lot of upgrading anyway.

4. Better looks. Obviously a biased opinion here, but the new Type S just looks better ;). Even if it does weigh over 4,100 pounds. Where I live you can sling a dead cat at just about any stoplight and hit an Audi/BMW/Mercedes. You just don't see the new TLX body style nearly as much and therefore will stand out among the crowd.

I have had countless people come up to me and comment on how good my car looks at gas stations, grocery stores and elsewhere over the past few months. This was ultimately my deciding factor to get one and could honestly care less about being the fastest car out there - that's an endless pursuit anyways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This would make sense but think of the benefits of getting an Acura vs European sports sedan:
All valid point. I think the TLX is a great looking vehicle, especially compared to BMW’s offerings (3 series is very conservative, 4 series has the bucktooth grille).

There will be a lot of support for the Type S. KTuner will be the best bang-for-buck on a stock car, and will be needed to maximize the performance from bolt-ons via a custom tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How can I make this thing faster?
Got some $ to spend
You can do
imr down pipe
Imr mid pipe
Function works exhaust
( sounds way better and gets rid of restriction, wouldnt do catless smells like crap, throws codes even with the o2 “extender)
P2r charge pipe and silicone piping,
Upgrade the air filter
Run amsoil engine oil in the car
P2r intercooler upgrade
Jb4 tuner
Optional not necessary
P2r ported throttle body
P2r ported intake manifold ( dont forget gaskets)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts