Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this beautiful car 3 months ago 93,000 km . Had in for a time belt service 102,000 km. Got back 2 days latter had funny noise coming from the front end. Acura dealer told me the cause is a worn rod bearing #4 . Because of the amount of wear new bearing is not suggested as they feel the crank case is effected. 12,000 bill !! They cant tell me the cause. Can’t find anyone anywhere on line with this issue.
Need help ! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
This is not a common issue for this car or engine. How did it happen?

I would do a little investigating. Speak with the prior owner and find out if he used the correct oil and had regular oil changes. Also try and go out and actually speak with him in person. See if his other cars might be a Mustang GT and Corvette? Meaning he might have 'hot rodded' this vehicle. See where he got his oil changes done. Find out if he used an oil additive.

Usually, when a dealer gets a trade or auction vehicle, they do an oil change immediately. Often, the used car department (trying to save money) will use inferior or lower grade oil. Get an oil sample of what was in the crankcase and send it to an oil lab.

This is just a start of what you should do. Pretty much what I do on a daily basis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is not a common issue for this car or engine. How did it happen?

I would do a little investigating. Speak with the prior owner and find out if he used the correct oil and had regular oil changes. Also try and go out and actually speak with him in person. See if his other cars might be a Mustang GT and Corvette? Meaning he might have 'hot rodded' this vehicle. See where he got his oil changes done. Find out if he used an oil additive.

Usually, when a dealer gets a trade or auction vehicle, they do an oil change immediately. Often, the used car department (trying to save money) will use inferior or lower grade oil. Get an oil sample of what was in the crankcase and send it to an oil lab.

This is just a start of what you should do. Pretty much what I do on a daily basis.

Oil doesn’t seem to be the issue, can there be an issue in assembly? Any other ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
There is a difference between 'Hot Rodding' and 'Driven'. A worn rod bearing to go out at around 100,000km will most normally be caused by poor lubrication or 'hot rodding'. It should have given some advance notice before going out such as knocking or ticking noise or perhaps oil pressure light. Assuming it was not you who did the hot rodding, you might look for the culprit, perhaps a prior owner. In the old days, and used car department that had a car with a worn rod bearing would throw in some straight 40 weight oil which would cause the noise to go away for a while, which is why I suggested to get an oil sample. A close examination of the bearings and other damage can usually suggest the cause of the damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for insight. The noice started only a couple of days after the timing belt was changed. I never heard anything before and there was only a emission and parking break light which they checked and said it was just an electrical glitch that they reset. The past owner complained about acceleration would that matter? should I ask the dealer to send the oil away for testing or is this something I would do myself ? who would I go to have a send party look at the damage to the bearing?

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
Dealerships don't want to get invovled in disputes or investigate anything. They want you to pay $12K for a new engine. If you feel it needs to be investigated, an oil sample would be the first step. Legally, you are bias in this case so you should have someone else obtain the oil sample and send it in for you. You would want to know if it is the correct oil (semi-synthetic or better), if there are any oil additives in it, and approximately how old the oil is. That would be the place to start. Search the Internet for an Automotive Vehicle Inspector in your area for assistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just bought this beautiful car 3 months ago 93,000 km . Had in for a time belt service 102,000 km. Got back 2 days latter had funny noise coming from the front end. Acura dealer told me the cause is a worn rod bearing #4 . Because of the amount of wear new bearing is not suggested as they feel the crank case is effected. 12,000 bill !! They cant tell me the cause. Can’t find anyone anywhere on line with this issue.
Need help ! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
I have a 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec. I have 42K and without warning, it died. No warning lights, nothing. I had it towed and the dealer said I had a dented oil filter that restricted flow to the engine. Okay, if that's what happened, I had ZERO warning lights. 17K covered under my insurance. unreal. Good luck with your issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, sorry to hear of your troubles. If I can make 1 suggestion take your car to the Acura dealer for all oil changes.
Here is why . Westend Acura saying that I have a spun bearing , no one can tell me why. The previous owner had all maintenance done on this car ( this is the 3rd Acura he has leased and has bought Hondas and Acuras since 2005) Acura Canada so far will not help me as they say they can't verify all oil changes. so right now they are blaming it on oil. Even though the previous owner has called and spoke with Acura Canada and has supplied all the dates of his oil changes . They still won't open my case unless I have receipts . Unfortunately as this is a corporation that has the receipts. It is very time consuming to pull them. I am sure with all the electronics there would be a record of when the oil light was set each time and it is obvious by the condition of the engine that it has had regular oil changes . Only 2000km over warranty I would expect some good will from Acura Canada as this is not a regular occurrence, not even with cars they see with poor oil change schedule.No one can tell me why this happened , yet I am suppose to take the financial hit. I Have read several issues with the warning lights and in a short 3 months had a parking brake and emission warning light turned off 2 times. Told by west end Acura it is just a computer glitch. I ignored this another time and the warning lights just went away on its own. Now there is a transmission recall, do to safety concerns. Not sure what to say . Very disappointed with Acura Canada . Still pursuing this . Hopefully I will have something better to report in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX Elite A Spec
5 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear of your troubles. If I can make 1 suggestion take your car to the Acura dealer for all oil changes.
Here is why . Westend Acura saying that I have a spun bearing , no one can tell me why. The previous owner had all maintenance done on this car ( this is the 3rd Acura he has leased and has bought Hondas and Acuras since 2005) Acura Canada so far will not help me as they say they can't verify all oil changes. so right now they are blaming it on oil. Even though the previous owner has called and spoke with Acura Canada and has supplied all the dates of his oil changes . They still won't open my case unless I have receipts . Unfortunately as this is a corporation that has the receipts. It is very time consuming to pull them. I am sure with all the electronics there would be a record of when the oil light was set each time and it is obvious by the condition of the engine that it has had regular oil changes . Only 2000km over warranty I would expect some good will from Acura Canada as this is not a regular occurrence, not even with cars they see with poor oil change schedule.No one can tell me why this happened , yet I am suppose to take the financial hit. I Have read several issues with the warning lights and in a short 3 months had a parking brake and emission warning light turned off 2 times. Told by west end Acura it is just a computer glitch. I ignored this another time and the warning lights just went away on its own. Now there is a transmission recall, do to safety concerns. Not sure what to say . Very disappointed with Acura Canada . Still pursuing this . Hopefully I will have something better to report in the future. Thank you for your feedback.
Do you end up resolving this issue? This is my situation currently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts