Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of minor issues I will have checked out at my first service. I have the 4 cyl Tech with the DCT transmission. I have noticed sometimes coming to a stop or slowing to almost a stop random hard downshifts to first gear or surging. It's almost like the feeling that someone bumped your car from behind. I don't know if it is just the characteristic of the DCT or a problem. The other minor gripe is the intermittent setting on the wipers has a mind of it's own. Low speed, high speed and flipping it up for "mist" work perfect, the auto rain sensing isn't too bad but is slow to react letting the windshield get too blurred for my taste before activating. The intermittent is another story going from off to double wipes to high speed without any regard to the speed you set. Wondering if when the dealer took the steering column apart to install the new headlight stalk for the foglights messed something up? Lastly I don't understand the complaints with the audio system. I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile with a home surround system that took over a year to research, audition and install costing $$$ Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think the sound quality of the ELS system is exceptional integrating the low frequency sound seamlessly as part of the music. It doesn't blow the mirror off my windshield, peel my paint or set off car alarms as I drive down the street, but it's not supposed to. I have the DTS on, my bass and sub set to +1 and the fader set slightly to the rear and I love it. (And the ANC is on - I don't dare mess with the factory settings, with my luck I will activate the ejection seat by mistake) ;-)

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Couple of minor issues I will have checked out at my first service. I have the 4 cyl Tech with the DCT transmission.

I have noticed sometimes coming to a stop or slowing to almost a stop random hard downshifts to first gear or surging. It's almost like the feeling that someone bumped your car from behind. I don't know if it is just the characteristic of the DCT or a problem.

The other minor gripe is the intermittent setting on the wipers has a mind of it's own. The intermittent is another story going from off to double wipes to high speed without any regard to the speed you set. Wondering if when the dealer took the steering column apart to install the new headlight stalk for the foglights messed something up?

Lastly I don't understand the complaints with the audio system. I have the DTS on, my bass and sub set to +1 and the fader set slightly to the rear and I love it. (And the ANC is on - I don't dare mess with the factory settings, with my luck I will activate the ejection seat by mistake) ;-)
<Edited for Clarity, whoever she is>
How many miles do you have on the car? Curious to see if you are experiencing issues in a time line. I also have the I4 Tech.

So far at 1700 miles I have no transmission or DCT issues. I understand that doesn't help your situation.

I haven't noticed the intermittent wipers issue. I leave it on Auto and don't have fog lights. I agree that the rain sensing wipers often take too long to start up. But then when the rain stops, it keeps wiping a dry windshield for a couple extra times.

Don't get me started about ANC. You most likely read my rants and I don't care to repeat them.:laugh:

On the sound settings though, I asked my DJ friend to set mine. All settings were defaulted to C and he said that the center channel was way over powered. He back it down to -2. Subwoofer to +2. Bass to +2. Fader -1. It sounds great for contempory jazz. As with beauty is to sight, sound is in the ear of the beholder.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try turning off ANC and you'll be amazed at the difference. The steps to do it are from me in the ANC thread. It takes a couple of minutes and you can't do any damage as verified by others in the thread. I had the same fear. If you so choose, you can go back in and turn ANC back on. My sound is so great now...the way ELS was on my 2004 from 10 years ago. And With ANC off, I don't hear any additional road noise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have noticed a similar wackiness with the auto windshield wiper setting. I will be stopped at a traffic light with a light mist and all of a sudden the wipers will go into hyper mode. I have not been patient enough to see if they will slow down on their own. I switch them off and back on again and the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hope that wiper issue is some isolated issue since i haven't seen anyone else reported it with the time i have spent on this forum so far. have you spoke to your dealer to see what they would be able to do about it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The feeling you are having upon slowing down with the transmission could be a real problem. I took my TLX 4cl in about a month ago with the same complaints. They replaced the transmission with 400 miles on it and have yet to figure out a solution to the problem. I have a post on here which details my experience. I would suggest taking the car in, the slow speed lurch is not a "normal" function of this DCT. I have driven 2 different loaner TLX's and they seem to be fine, I firmly believe there is a bad batch of transmissions out there, unfortunately sounds like you may also have one. Not trying to be a downer here, just trying to give a "heads-up".

·
Registered
34 Posts
I noticed the low speed tranny surge when I test drove the car, and notice it with my TLX.

I have had a major transmission issue with my TLX a few weeks ago. The transmission got stuck in 5th gear. I was driving in the city, and after I stopped at a light the car barely had enough power to get moving (stuck in high gear). I was able to very slowly accelerate and get on the highway. At highway speed it also stayed in 5th gear revving fairly high. The dealer wasn't far so I drove there, and they came for a test drive with me. At that time, many warning lights came on and they kept the car (got a near new RDX Tech as the loaner!). There were 7 codes in the system. One was a stuck valve in the transmission, and another one was an all wheel steering wheel out of alignment warning.

It has been fine since, and I did notice the transmission has a different shift pattern now so maybe they reprogrammed it. I am starting to think about buying the extended warranty now just in case!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh boy....this DCT tranny is really becoming a serious headache based on the number of us reporting abnormal behaviour or just plain failure...

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I'm thinking an extended warranty is a good idea with any first year model if a person plans on keeping the car. If this is an ongoing issue with the transmission it could get expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wacky wipers

We just got our 2015 TLX Tech (V-6) on Sunday. The rain sensing/automatic wipers are making my wife want to return the car. I am not far off. In light rain they come on at a relatively appropriate time and run intermittently for roughly four passes before freaking out and going to high speed. They continue for 10-15 seconds after the windshield is completely dry.

I ran a test in our driveway with a hose nozzle on mist and replicated the fault. I took video of the test and will try to .zip and upload it. This is Acura #5 in a row for us (2000 Integra, 2007 RDX Tech, 2010 TL Tech, 2012 MDX Tech) and this is the first time I have been disappointed. I hope this is a sensor problem or a software fix waiting to happen. Otherwise, some significant action will have to take place.

I love the car otherwise. It is a shame it is not the usual Acura perfect.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

We just got our 2015 TLX Tech (V-6) on Sunday. The rain sensing/automatic wipers are making my wife want to return the car. I am not far off. In light rain they come on at a relatively appropriate time and run intermittently for roughly four passes before freaking out and going to high speed. They continue for 10-15 seconds after the windshield is completely dry.

I ran a test in our driveway with a hose nozzle on mist and replicated the fault. I took video of the test and will try to .zip and upload it. This is Acura #5 in a row for us (2000 Integra, 2007 RDX Tech, 2010 TL Tech, 2012 MDX Tech) and this is the first time I have been disappointed. I hope this is a sensor problem or a software fix waiting to happen. Otherwise, some significant action will have to take place.

I love the car otherwise. It is a shame it is not the usual Acura perfect.
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Did you see the One-Pack that addressed one issue with the rain sensor. Not sure if that applies in your case. I have heard of people not happy with the rain sensor, even after adjusting the rotary switch. Definitely complain to the dealer. Make your voice heard.

If that is all that is wrong with your car, you are doing pretty good.:) Although a problem is a problem. At least you aren't having any issues that keep your TLX in the shop for days on end. As you read other posts, you will see some people having major issues with the tranny. I've had to take my TLX in a couple of times and leave it over a long weekend. My story is posted elsewhere.

Definitely let us know if there is a fix or if you come across anything else. I've had my TSX for 7 weeks now and I still am learning new things about the tech and the car. Enjoy your ride. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
The rain sensing/automatic wipers are making my wife want to return the car. I am not far off.
I echo the comments of the previous poster. It is frustrating but take it in to get the issue resolved. If there was vibration from the wheels at high speed would you want to return the car rather than getting the wheels balanced?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same here. Can't figure out the settings, yesterday my wipers almost flew off as they started freaking out in high speed suddenly and there was very little rain. They were OK in heavy rain turning on and off but went crazy after the glass was almost dry.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i never rely on the auto sensing wipers, and just turn on the wipers manually and intermittently like a 10-year old car

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My issue happens when I try to use the regular intermittent setting - no matter which speed I set it on it starts out OK then after a while goes crazy and does what it wants, I have to shut them off and turn them back on to reset the speed. The rain sensing setting actually works a little better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I echo the comments of the previous poster. It is frustrating but take it in to get the issue resolved. If there was vibration from the wheels at high speed would you want to return the car rather than getting the wheels balanced?
I am taking the car in to get it resolved. I have high expectations of performance and precision when I acquire an Acura/Honda product. Uncontrollable wipers are WAY below my expectations. I have no interest in repeatedly slapping expensive new wipers on a car over and over again.

As I noted in my original post, this is our fifth Acura in a row. This is the first time we have EVER had a defect that was not immediately the result of an evident minor mechanical part failure - by the way, the total count of those is one in fifteen years.

Acura will have every opportunity to fix this. And for reference, I have been a jet engine mechanic for over twenty years. I thoroughly understand mechanical and electro-mechanical systems. I have real issues with poorly thought-out engineering and testing processes. Where I am seeing additional complaints about this issue, I am concerned that a fix may not be timely.

I don't want to sound grumpy or whiny. I just refuse to accept issues with a vehicle in this price range (and with such an excellent reputation in my household).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Did you see the One-Pack that addressed one issue with the rain sensor. Not sure if that applies in your case. I have heard of people not happy with the rain sensor, even after adjusting the rotary switch. Definitely complain to the dealer. Make your voice heard.

If that is all that is wrong with your car, you are doing pretty good.:) Although a problem is a problem. At least you aren't having any issues that keep your TLX in the shop for days on end. As you read other posts, you will see some people having major issues with the tranny. I've had to take my TLX in a couple of times and leave it over a long weekend. My story is posted elsewhere.

Definitely let us know if there is a fix or if you come across anything else. I've had my TSX for 7 weeks now and I still am learning new things about the tech and the car. Enjoy your ride. :)
I did not see the Onepack, but I will look for it now. The dealer has already heard about it. I have a three hour drive to the nearest Acura dealer, so this is not a minor issue. If I have to leave the car and take a loaner, it is a six hour round trip just to swap them back out and test it again.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I did not see the Onepack, but I will look for it now. The dealer has already heard about it. I have a three hour drive to the nearest Acura dealer, so this is not a minor issue. If I have to leave the car and take a loaner, it is a six hour round trip just to swap them back out and test it again.
Oops! I meant I had my TLX for seven weeks. I keep forgetting I traded in my TSX.

That is a long drive. I forget that not everyone lives down the street from the dealer like I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too just had same (really same discription) issue on my i4 tech TLX. Spoke to dealer and going to get service/check on Monday. Hope simple issue...but why me! On the side note, this is my first post so Hello guys!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.