Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we are at the cottage. it is up near Hunstville (Algonquin Park). My worry is that the snow is deeper than my front spoiler, and there is a huge snowplow row at the top of the drive. Don't want to challenge that. I may just wait for the plow service. #wimpingout .

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... the story gets better...

Plow-guy comes and plows the drive. He is in a huge "eight lug" duallie pickup truck. Clears a bit at the bottom. Warns me that it is still slippery.

Our area at the bottom is pretty tight. I am out there clearing the snow off the cars. I ask him if he wants me to move my vehicles so that he can turn around and get a run at the hill.

He says: "Nah... I'll just back it up"

Off he goes.

About 45 seconds later, I see him coming back down the hill... (plow first) All four wheels are locked. He is in a full slide and gaining speed.

I am doing physics in my head to determine if he is going to take out my 2015 TLX or my 2015 RDX. Or both.

He stops himself by dropping his plow.

He gets out and says: "Maybe I should drop some sand up there."

So, I didn't get the full SH-AWD "stress test" I imagined.

BUT. from our driveway to the main road is about 3 km (2 mi.). It was unplowed, with lots of hills and turns. About 10" of fresh snow, with parts of it packed down to "slippery" by previous cars.

The TLX performed like a champ. I didn't press my luck, but felt very solid in the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So... the story gets better...

Plow-guy comes and plows the drive. He is in a huge "eight lug" duallie pickup truck. Clears a bit at the bottom. Warns me that it is still slippery.

Our area at the bottom is pretty tight. I am out there clearing the snow off the cars. I ask him if he wants me to move my vehicles so that he can turn around and get a run at the hill.

He says: "Nah... I'll just back it up"

Off he goes.

About 45 seconds later, I see him coming back down the hill... (plow first) All four wheels are locked. He is in a full slide and gaining speed.

I am doing physics in my head to determine if he is going to take out my 2015 TLX or my 2015 RDX. Or both.

He stops himself by dropping his plow.

He gets out and says: "Maybe I should drop some sand up there."

So, I didn't get the full SH-AWD "stress test" I imagined.

BUT. from our driveway to the main road is about 3 km (2 mi.). It was unplowed, with lots of hills and turns. About 10" of fresh snow, with parts of it packed down to "slippery" by previous cars.

The TLX performed like a champ. I didn't press my luck, but felt very solid in the car.
Nothing beats Acura SH-AWD. Just look at this clip; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68 .

My driveway at home is 23 % slope. Lexus and Audi can't even make the 20% :eek: but MDX makes the 30% slope:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Could have been a close plow call - reminds me of the post of the testing 16 year old... glad she didnt have a blade on front though

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
The best winter tires for the money is IMO Goodyear UltraGrip Ice. They have served me well for the past 15 years. I've tried Blizzak; very good tires also but wear off quickly and did not do so well in the snow but great on ice. However on my TLX, I installed Michelin X-Ice 3. We'll see how well they do.

Did not like the GoodYear Eagle that came standard with the car and since I needed snow tires (bought the car 3 weeks ago), I traded them in for the Michelin.

:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great choice for sure. What do you mean traded them in ? You actually found a shop that accepted your Eagles as a trade in ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.