Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking into changing out my front suspension to something a bit softer and possibly replacing tires with a bit of a higher aspect ratio without possibly causing any rubbing issues. Has anyone else done this already? Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated!

I bought the car with 37k and at 38.5k it's starting to make this clunk noise in the front passenger area every time I go over a bump. Plus the steering wheel tends to snap right and left when going over bumps or uneven roads - which probably means I have to do some sort of work on the front suspension area anyways, so might as well replace the struts and all right now.

·
Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
261 Posts
You don't say what size wheels you're running or brand/type of tire. These two things will have the largest impact on ride quality. As for "softening up" the front suspension, I wouldn't change anything with regard to struts or springs (and doubt that anything softer would be available anyway). And at only 37K miles, there's no way they're just worn out unless one failed in some way.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking into changing out my front suspension to something a bit softer and possibly replacing tires with a bit of a higher aspect ratio without possibly causing any rubbing issues. Has anyone else done this already? Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated!
What model (engine) is your TLX? The V6 is front heavy, whereas the I4 is a little more balanced. I notice that on quick starts, I spin a little more than I would like due to the sudden lightening of the front end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys for not including the current setup. It's an '18 FWD A-spec V6 so it's running on Michelins Primacy 245/40R19 with OEM rims. Since it's the sportier A spec model, I'm assuming it has the sport suspension setup which is why I was considering to switch it out with a softer setup from the non-A spec model. And then possibly add thicker tires if there's no risk of rubbing.

·
Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
261 Posts
If you're someone who prefers a softer ride, I'm surprised you bought your TLX in A-Spec trim in the first place (unless it was purely for the visual aesthetics), since was designed toward the sport end of the spectrum more than touring/comfort.

From Automobile Magazine:
"Both FWD and AWD versions of the TLX A-Spec receive retuned damper valves and ... a slight increase of 0.1 kgf/mm in spring rate at all four corners to 3.0 kgf/mm up front and 3.1 kgf/mm at rear, as well as a stiffer rear anti-roll bar; the A-Spec's is 25.4 mm wide and has a 3.8 mm thick wall, increases of 0.7 mm and 0.1 mm, respectively. "

It seems counter-productive to undo the functional things that Acura did to make it an A-Spec, but I'll bet you could find someone happy to swap parts with you one weekend. ;)

As for tires, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 is already a "Grand Touring" tire which doesn't have a particularly aggressive sidewall to begin with, so your only real option is adding more sidewall by moving to 18" (or 17") wheels.

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
79 Posts
You would probably be happier with the “Elite” or “Advance” model (name varies depending on your country). Trading in would probably result in the most straight-forward results with the least complications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts