Acura TLX Forum banner

Safest Transmission bet

• 2012-2014 TL 6-speed transmission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015 8-Speed DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission)

Votes: 10 100.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Long time Acura fan (Integra since 1994)! I'm looking for something as solid as my Integra. Was looking at 2012 or so TL, but a little concerned about buying model that isn't still in production. I've heard of issues with shifting, and heard of high hopes for the 8 speed DCT, but see quite a bit about issues with this.

My question is really, if emphasis is on a solid ride for the wife, is the 2012 or so TL a safe bet or is the 8 speed DCT for more $$ and potential issues worth it?

Our 2004 Nissan Armada that she has been driving nearly left us on the side of interstate 75 earlier this week, so she is ready for several years at least of worry free driving.

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Amnesia, although I would question whether you would remember having any issues with the Dual Clutch based only on knowing your user name ;)

This was my first post that I came across, so in part the basis of my questioning whether I should pay more specifically to get the 8 speed Dual Clutch Transmission.

I'm expecting a late model vehicle to go at least 200,000 miles before having to deal with a transmission. My Integra from 94 is still going strong with no issues ever.

Venture through the forum or use search. You will find loads of transmission issues.

Luckily, I am not experiencing problems with my tranny, yet.

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/complaints/3745-2015-acura-transmission-issue.html

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hello All,

Long time Acura fan (Integra since 1994)! I'm looking for something as solid as my Integra. Was looking at 2012 or so TL, but a little concerned about buying model that isn't still in production. I've heard of issues with shifting, and heard of high hopes for the 8 speed DCT, but see quite a bit about issues with this.

My question is really, if emphasis is on a solid ride for the wife, is the 2012 or so TL a safe bet or is the 8 speed DCT for more $$ and potential issues worth it?

Our 2004 Nissan Armada that she has been driving nearly left us on the side of interstate 75 earlier this week, so she is ready for several years at least of worry free driving.

Thanks,
Phillip
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first posts.

We have a lot of posts on those experiencing transmission issues and those not experiencing transmission issues.

Using the search tool will hopefully answer all of your questions.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Philip, remember that forums like this are a great place people to voice their complaints, with lots of info of whats wrong with a car. People who dont have issues or complaints dont make threads about it.

Id guess that for every one person that has an issue, there are probably 50 that dont. The issues with the 8 and 9 speed transmissions appear to be simple software issues. I dont think Ive ever seen any actual mechanical problems.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the TLX transmission. I drove the 4 banger for ages and now am in the v6 AWD.
Never had an issue with either. Yes I have felt some jolts and some of the minor complaints but I really enjoy the drive and tranny.
Yes they have had issues that are well documented but I don't feel they are anywhere near enough to discourage me.
If i was to buy it right now knowing about the issues it has had to date I would still buy it hands down over the TL.
I really enjoy all the advanced technology though in the TLX. if it didn't have all that then we would be talking a different tune.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks,
Phillip
I have the same concerns as you. That's why I'm waiting for the 2016 TLX where they should have worked out all the problems of the 2015 TLX. As others pointed out, only some people had transmission problems in their car and updating transmission software has helped many people out.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have the same concerns as you. That's why I'm waiting for the 2016 TLX where they should have worked out all the problems of the 2015 TLX. As others pointed out, only some people had transmission problems in their car and updating transmission software has helped many people out.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first posts. :)

Are you looking to go with the I4 or V6?

What color(s) are you interested in?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just remember if your waiting for a 16 for tranny issues that shouldn't be holding you back. Apart from the shavings left in the FWD transmissions (one batch) the problems are all software related.
If your holding out for Acurawatch on the lower trims then that might be reason enough, but tranny should be last of the reasons. They are offering silly money here in Canada on the AWD, you can get into one for less than an Accord right now!

·
Registered
228 Posts
From what I have read on the forum, any transmission problems that did happen have been taken care of at this point. I don't think you have much to worry about on that front with the TLX.

·
Registered
274 Posts
From what I have read on the forum, any transmission problems that did happen have been taken care of at this point. I don't think you have much to worry about on that front with the TLX.
I wouldn't fully agree with that.. but there are hopes that they are continuing to improve on the issues. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wouldn't fully agree with that.. but there are hopes that they are continuing to improve on the issues. :)
Yeah i am not fully satisfied with my ZF. But i havent had it in yet, so shame on me...easy to complain!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seems like there might finally be a software fix for 9-speed transmission. From Acurazine thread:

http://acurazine.com/forums/problem...garding-9-speed-software-update-933912/page2/

"Did the update this morning and am very happy with the results. The hard shift is definitely gone. There were times when i still felt a nudge from the 2 to 3 shift but only 10% of the time or maybe less. The surge is also gone when i downshift whether im using the paddleshifters or not. I no longer tighten my neck in anticipation of the hard shift. Lol"

"They used the TSB released on July 25. I took a copy with me. Shop foreman said they have been waiting for this update since February.

This is on the service order:

CAUSE:
UPDATE 125517 ECM/PCM - REPROGRAM S/B: 01-038 S/B: 05-007 S/B: 06-013 S/B: 06-023 S/B: 06-027 S/B: 06-052 S/B: 08-043 S/B: 1752 WAR2

PARTS:
1168 PERFORMED UPDATE 125517 .2, H .1 03214 PERFORMED SOFTWARE UPDATE VERSION L93160. RELEARN IDLE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts