Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I saw this forum decided to join. I'm looking for a car in a few months time, and even though I would like to look at other brands and models I will go for a tlx.

let me tell you my story, My first acura was a 2006 tl tech.... it was and in my humble opinion still the most beautiful acura TL ever.
It was a great car, I had test drove a infiniti g35 before getting the TL and even though infiniti drives and handles better the interior was no comparison. I went with TL and loved it , I used to drive 80miles a day to work, so piled on about 95K miles in 3 years and sold it.

Next I got a MDX, 2009 tech, it was my first SUV and loved it, in 2012 I traded it for another mdx tech package, reason i was working from home so thought i can get a new car and the miles will never pile up. So thats where Im at now. I still work from home and my mdx after 3 years has less than 30K miles.

Now due to work situation I have to start going to work again , again add on the miles and MDX wouldn't cut, one i get like 15-18mpg and i rather just buy a car for the commute.. I really want to try a lexus IS or BMW 3 series or Audi a4, even mb c or cla ....but after I add everything i want, it costs about 5-10K more than an acura tlx v6 advance.

So what do you guys think about the tlx, is the transmission issues resolved now. Should I consider anything other than a tlx.

Like i mentioned earlier the main reason I prefer acura is one its been great so far for me, and price wise it gives the most bang for the buck. Plus except Lexus Its probably more reliable.

Any german car owners want to comment on their reliability comparing to acura??

Thanks guys, hopefully 2016 tlx rolls out soon

·
Registered
666 Posts
You did not say where you are located or your need for AWD, so get the V6 Tech or Advance with either FWD or SH-AWD and save some expense over the comparable German cars. There should be no cause for concern over the transmission at this point.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Hi everyone, I saw this forum decided to join. I'm looking for a car in a few months time, and even though I would like to look at other brands and models I will go for a tlx.
[Edited for replying]
Thanks guys, hopefully 2016 tlx rolls out soon
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post and listen to your story.

Thanks for sharing.

No one should decide which car you should get except you. You can do the research, ask questions and learn about the TLX.

I am sure you will find many opinions here and elsewhere.

Definitely test drive both the I4 and the V6 with the different packages.

I really enjoy my I4 and it drives well in my environment. Of course the V6 with SH-AWD would be a plus in snow country.

Take your time and choose what you like. Deciding on what you like can be fun. Waiting for your choice to arrive is the hardest part of the purchase.

Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry didn't mention...Im in dc area...we get occasional snow not enough to warrant sh-awd..so will get the fwd advance, plus i have about 35 miles 1 way to work, so the adaptive cruise control is something I would like to have. :)

Hey guys with Adaptive cruise control, do you guys enjoy it in rush hour traffic. How is the over all experience with ACC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Summest I think the I4 does not have ACC, may be that will change for the 2016 model. but how responsive is I4, i will probably test drive it for fun. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
If gas consumption is a concern, I have a TLX 2015 and my wife an MDX 2014 and gas consumption is very close for both model and maybe just slightly more for the TLX. So if you prefer a SUV to a car you should look at the new MDX.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry didn't mention...Im in dc area...we get occasional snow not enough to warrant sh-awd..so will get the fwd advance, plus i have about 35 miles 1 way to work, so the adaptive cruise control is something I would like to have. :)

Hey guys with Adaptive cruise control, do you guys enjoy it in rush hour traffic. How is the over all experience with ACC.
I like the ACC but have found that it takes a lot of getting use to especially in heavy traffic and construction. I69 is currently being extended north through my area and my reflexive action is to brake when I sense traffic bottle ups rather than let the ACC do its thing. In light traffic it is great. As I use it more I may be willing to relinquish more control but right now I trust my own instincts rather than the car's. :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
@Summest I think the I4 does not have ACC, may be that will change for the 2016 model. but how responsive is I4, i will probably test drive it for fun. Thanks
True. No ACC in the I4. I believe I would like it on long turnpike trips where traffic isn't so heavy.

I drive 34.1 miles to work each way and love the drive so I want to be in control and enjoy the feel of the road.

For me, the I4 is all I need. It is responsive, fast and sporty. Handling is great, especially around corners with PAWS. I got the Tech package and enjoy all of the gadgets, including LKAS.

I can see advantages to both I4 and V6 options.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are many other post about ACC, some comments from me, but I will repeat.

I am a gadget fan so had to get ACC. I use it in all sorts of conditions and speeds. It works reasonably well but has limitations. Combined with LKAS it makes long range highway driving, where you are not concerned if the trip takes and extra minute or two, very comfortable and very smooth if you use the three or four bar settings (longer gap to vehicle ahead).

Its weaknesses are:
1. It is not as effective as an experienced driver in anticipating road conditions and observing what is happening far ahead.
2. It leaves a gap to the car ahead, at any of its distance settings. This allows a car to merge in ahead of you, and then the system then gets very nervous and will usually brake to increase the gap where just slowing a bit would have been fine.
3. If you are following a vehicle and approaching a stop sign or red light, and the car ahead changes lanes, the car will accelerate before sensing the vehicle that is already stopped.
4. Tracking of the vehicle ahead is lost if it goes over a hill and down the other side. Once again the car will accelerate.
5. Some people have reported issues going around a curve in the road and the system picking up vehicles approaching from the other side.

I would give it a rating of 8 out of 10 for this 1.0 version from Acura. It will get better over time as faster computers are used with longer camera and radar sensors. But I would still get it if I had to replace my TLX right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts