Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LKAS-LDW feature has not been discussed much. I have occasionally used it and it appears to improve my driving on multi-lane highways. Last night I got back to BWI from Houston around 1:00 AM after a long day. Wow is it useful when driving home tired!! Now I wander around a lot less. I like the way it nudges me to stay in the lane. Transitions are a challenge to the sensors and unmarked curbs naturally don't register. What would a driverless car do when encountering these challenges?

·
Registered
438 Posts
i think LKAS only works if the cruise control is on, no?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for bringing this up. I once activated Cruise Control (Green indicator next to LKAS) and the light won't go away. I am not using cruise control since I am maximizing mileage using the paddles. (I did use it once to check it out and it works great but automatically increases the fuel flow to increase torque when climbing.) The green lights are always on, but LDW is activated using the lower right paddle. Filed away to understand after a few other mysterious tech features are solved.

·
Registered
666 Posts
No. The two operate independently.

Driverless cars will need to have better recognition systems and be able to operate like a human.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. I once activated Cruise Control (Green indicator next to LKAS) and the light won't go away.

The green lights are always on, but LDW is activated using the lower right paddle. Filed away to understand after a few other mysterious tech features are solved.
Main control allows you to enable Cruise Control and LKAS. I used both this weekend to visit the folks 230 miles north of my house. I enjoyed the drive. I used the combination of cruise control and LKAS. Both show up in MID and both can be enabled for disabled by pressing the appropriate buttons. For cruise control, I hit cancel and the cruise control light goes out. For LKAS, it appears enabled but really isn't till you use the button on the bottom right of the steering wheel hub. I guess LKAS does for your hand what cruise control does for your feet.

It was also nice to be able to use both hands to open a bottle of Coke or Mountain Dew. LKAS drives pretty good.

Oh and another thing that is confusing LDW is actually activated by the buttons near the driver's door. LDW is the Lane Departure Warning and LKAS is the Lane Keeping Assist System. It can be very confusing.

I am not sure why your cruise control light stays on. On mine, the LKAS stays on as a filled in green oval box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ended up turning off LDW on my 2014 Accord Touring after a few months of owning it. It ended up being more annoying then useful. The Accords adaptive cruise control was also what I would define as a complete cluster. Its sensor was down in the grill. Mine would error out after around 5 mins on the freeway (not even being on) and light my dash up like a Christmas tree. It would continue to do that for about 5 mins then reset only to do so again in 10 mins. Several trips to the dealer to fix did absolutely nothing to fix it (they told me I should wash the sensor... duh.. as I drove it home from the dealer and had it error out 3 more times in 7 miles). Further complaint directly to Honda did nothing to help either. That is the main reason why I didn't buy a tech model. I generally have never used my navigation systems and I did not want these other features that failed on my Accord. I will say that I saw that the TLX's sensor for this is up on the window behind the rear view mirror and I would bet they works a lot better up there. I can also say that I had none of these issues on my 2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum's adaptive cruise with a sensor in the bumper. Its worked perfectly for 4+ years now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since adaptive cruise control is not available on the i4 Tech, we may not be missing much. The LKAS-LDW on my I4 Tech is fabulous for my needs when on the freeway above 45 mph.
The operator's guide is not consistent in explaining whether the Cruise button or the Cancel button is the primary control and what effect this has on the LKAS-LDW system in non-advanced vehicles.
Summest?

·
Registered
666 Posts
The MAIN button (for cruise control) has to be on for LKAS to operate, but the LKAS button also has to be selected. However you can have LKAS operational but not using cruise control as it has either been canceled (CANCEL button) or a cruise control speed has not been set.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Correct. I've used LKAS successfully with no cruse control succesfully

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I ended up turning off LDW on my 2014 Accord Touring after a few months of owning it. It ended up being more annoying then useful. The Accords adaptive cruise control was also what I would define as a complete cluster. Its sensor was down in the grill. Mine would error out after around 5 mins on the freeway (not even being on) and light my dash up like a Christmas tree. It would continue to do that for about 5 mins then reset only to do so again in 10 mins. Several trips to the dealer to fix did absolutely nothing to fix it (they told me I should wash the sensor... duh.. as I drove it home from the dealer and had it error out 3 more times in 7 miles). Further complaint directly to Honda did nothing to help either. That is the main reason why I didn't buy a tech model. I generally have never used my navigation systems and I did not want these other features that failed on my Accord. I will say that I saw that the TLX's sensor for this is up on the window behind the rear view mirror and I would bet they works a lot better up there. I can also say that I had none of these issues on my 2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum's adaptive cruise with a sensor in the bumper. Its worked perfectly for 4+ years now.
That was an unfortunate experience. So far I love the LKAS and LDW. On my last trip it made the drive a lot easier. Cruise control was a benefit as well. The LDW supposedly can be adjusted. Mine is too sensitive as it always beeps at me if I get close to the line. The Flashing Brake light is a good reminder that I follow too closely. I think these gadgets are good training aids to make me a better driver.:)

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Since adaptive cruise control is not available on the i4 Tech, we may not be missing much. The LKAS-LDW on my I4 Tech is fabulous for my needs when on the freeway above 45 mph.
The operator's guide is not consistent in explaining whether the Cruise button or the Cancel button is the primary control and what effect this has on the LKAS-LDW system in non-advanced vehicles.
Summest?
I would love to try adaptive cruise control. That's one of the things I really like about the advance package, that I did not get. I would volunteer to work out the bugs.:)

Main is the main / primary control. If you shut off Main, both LKAS and Cruise Control are disabled. I didn't realize that cancel also cancels LKAS. I thought it was only used to cancel cruise control? I will have to check on the way home.

By having Main on, you have the ability to turn on LKAS and Cruise Control. Cancel works good on the cruise control because you don't need to brake to exit cruise control and you don't have to hit main to turn it off. Cancel also allows your set speed to stick so that when you hit RESume, you revert back to your set speed. This is great when you have the speed set to 70 mph and you need to pass someone doing less than 70 mph. Press cancel, accelerate and once back in your lane press resume. If you use main to stop cruise control, you lose your preset speed.

It is odd to have to switch on Main and Cruise Control and then you still have to select SET to get it to work.

LDW is controlled by the switch down on the lower part of the dash near the door. If has a icon of a car crossing over the line in the road with a green light when it is on. On the V6, LDW, RDW and LKAS are tightly weaved together and becomes confusing. Luckily on the I4 Tech they are a bit more distinguishable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I understand the sequence better. First one must turn on the lower LKAS button at the bottom of the dashboard on the left. Then the Cruise Control Main is selected on or off as shown in the display.(Cruise Main and LKAS display lights remain where they where at engine shutdown.) LDW can be activated with the lower paddle on the right side of the steering wheel, but only above 45 mph, otherwise it shuts down and has to be pushed again when above 45 mph. Cruise control can be set or not. Cancel seems to be mostly for turning off cruise control (as in my 2004 TSX.)

Had a fantastic fall leaf tour through the tree lined back-roads south of Annapolis, mostly twisting elevation changes (lots left paddle use) between 25-45 mph while taking in the scenery. Gounod's Faust sounds great on the ELS.

I started at 33.3 mpg and finished 60 miles later at 33 mpg. I love watching the left paddle switch gears smoothly between 8 and down to what ever I need (3,4,5) to hold the rpm above 1500. Incredible car and transmission!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I will try to remember to check when I am out tonight but I have a different impression on how it works.

First, I have the lower LKAS button always turned on, and MAIN is always turned on. Then I turn on LKAS on the steering wheel, at any speed, and it is my impression that it stays on, but it may only operate at higher speeds. I am not aware that pressing Cruise Cancel turns off LKAS but will check.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I will try to remember to check when I am out tonight but I have a different impression on how it works.

First, I have the lower LKAS button always turned on, and MAIN is always turned on. Then I turn on LKAS on the steering wheel, at any speed, and it is my impression that it stays on, but it may only operate at higher speeds. I am not aware that pressing Cruise Cancel turns off LKAS but will check.
I think I understand the sequence better. First one must turn on the lower LKAS button at the bottom of the dashboard on the left. Then the Cruise Control Main is selected on or off as shown in the display.(Cruise Main and LKAS display lights remain where they where at engine shutdown.) LDW can be activated with the lower paddle on the right side of the steering wheel, but only above 45 mph, otherwise it shuts down and has to be pushed again when above 45 mph. Cruise control can be set or not. Cancel seems to be mostly for turning off cruise control (as in my 2004 TSX.)
Are you guys are trying to confuse me? :confused:

With Main on, it will stay on as shown in the MID, but neither Cruise Control or LKAS are actually enagaged. I have not seen LKAS stay engaged, if power is removed and re-powered. If I drive above 45 mph without pushing the inside wheel lever, LKAS doesn't work / isn't engaged. I have to press the inside wheel lever. If power turns off, main is still on but LKAS is not engaged. The solid green LKAS light is misleading.

The cancel button only cancels cruise control. It doesn't cancel LKAS. I verified on the way home without using cruise control.

LDW is not the same as LKAS! LDW is controlled by the push button on the lower left side of the dash. The LDW button will stay on (green Light) when power has been removed and re-powered on. LKAS is fully enabled by pressing the inside lever on the steering wheel, after Main has been enabled or left on. There is no lower LKAS button. Maybe things are different on a V6? Should I take a photo? :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sorry for any confusion, no need for a photo but LDW/RDM is a symbol only on both Tech and Advance/Elite. As another poster said there are too many anachronism. To conclude:
- I keep MAIN on all the time and it hold between shutting down and restarting.
- I have to activate LKAS when I start as it is turned off with the engine
- confirmed that the CANCEL does not cancel LKAS
- confirmed that turning off MAIN also turns off LKAS

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mea culpa. The button on the lower left is for the LDW not LKAS. The 545 page operator's guide does say that the lower right paddle on the steering wheel is the LKAS activation and that LDW will rekick in when above 45 mph. It discusses both systems without referring to the crosslink between them (page 382). How the LDW system activates is discussed separately on page 371 does not mention LKAS. TLX2014 should have been the editor on this section.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The lane keep assist helps more on the freeway than I thought, and glad I have it. If I could have bought the 4/8dct with advance I would have.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
The lane keep assist helps more on the freeway than I thought, and glad I have it. If I could have bought the 4/8dct with advance I would have.
I have the 4/8dct you speak about and I have LKAS.

I use it quite often.

Maybe the two sentences aren't related? I enjoy my I4 Tech. The ACC would be nice to have on the I4.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not getting a beep with LKAS or LDW. Dealer hasn't figured out why yet. I get a visual warning and input to the steering wheel, but no audio.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts