Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got the car in April, and now the leather driver's seat bolster is starting to show cracks. Leather is too thin and not holding up. Shouldn't happen in a entry level luxury car.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Is it cracking or starting to crease? I've seen cars where the leather creases. Now if the leather is cracking and splitting it's a different story.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is it the bulster at the sides or behind? Makes a difference as I think the bulsters at the side aren't leather. Only the bit with the holes down the middle is leather....i think
I find it to be pretty good quality. Acura has never had the best but certainly not bad either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Which trim level? Tech or Advance?

TLX Advance gets the Milano leather, but Tech does not. In my 4G TL Tech, it had the Milano leather but for TLX you have to step up to the Advance trim to get it.

Although I recently turned in my TL on a new MDX, the leather in it did seem much better. There were some slight creases but still looked new otherwise. I also think good leather also develops character too.

For TLX, I wish I had went with the Advance package and got the better leather. Wear seems OK after 9 months, but it is thinner, less real leather compared to the prior model in the same trim level.

·
Registered
251 Posts
A picture would speak a thousand words here. You have to expect leather to change a bit over time and usage, but then some things would be concerning as far as the quality of the material. You could look into some products (usually a spray) that is supposed to protect leather.

·
Registered
317 Posts
In canada there are two choices, base has the fake leather and then Tech and Elite have the milano leather.
Fake leather is the smart choice, it looks just as good and to those planning to keep the vehicle for 5+ years, you won't experience the sort of wear that real leather does and the cost that comes on from replacing the leather.

·
Registered
979 Posts
leather in general is a pain in the hole.

you have to condition the leather atleast 3 times a year to prevent the creasing/cracking and even then it will still happen.

also, if you've ever owned a racing seat (i have a bride fixed bucket) or the JDM integra type R recaro seats with tall seat bulster in order to keep them looking good you have to plant your a$$ in the middle of the seat when getting in. (watch your head) that's the only true way of preventing the cracks, if you sit on the side of the seat when getting into the car it will crack and crease like crazy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I really wanted the Tech, but with the fake leather seats from the base. Too bad they don't offer that combo. Even a nicely designed cloth would be fine. I live in Texas and it is hot as balls in the summer here. DFWGuy knows what I mean.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did anyone ask their local dealer if it was possible? I can't see them saying no if you're not asking them to lower the cost of the tech package to compensate for the seat difference.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I really wanted the Tech, but with the fake leather seats from the base. Too bad they don't offer that combo. Even a nicely designed cloth would be fine. I live in Texas and it is hot as balls in the summer here. DFWGuy knows what I mean.

Austin here. I agree with the heat level assessment. Thank goodness for remote roll down windows and remote start.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Cloth would also be better for holding you in your seat, not that we're racing these or anything but I know a lot of people love how much more cloth hugs you into the seat than leather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Post needs a pic. I have had two acuras with leather for 5+ years and had no issues other than mild creasing. Conditioning is important as well as mentioned. jJ

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cloth does keep you in your seat but leather is easier to clean. Post a pic of your TLX seats please.
Does Acura cover this in their warranty?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I imagine that a couple of factors to consider are whether the car is garage kept and what type of climate you live in especially if stored outside. I've had 3 Acuras all with leather seats and have never had an issue with leather cracking, but have noticed creases. Creases are forming in my TLX currently, but I suppose that this is a softer leather than my previous cars. I generally condition once per year and my cars are always garage kept :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I generally condition once per year and my cars are always garage kept :)
I am new to leather seats. Guess I had fake or Corinthian leather in the past.

How do you condition the leather?

I keep my car in the garage when I get home, but it is out in the sun during the day at work.

I am also coming up on the 1-year anniversary. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are lots of products out there. I got mine at an auto detail store ...just ask for a leather cleaner/conditioner. It comes in a spray and you simply apply with a soft cloth. jj

1 - 20 of 21 Posts