Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my TLX home last night, black copper pearl with espresso interior, i4 with tech package. I am so pleased with the car. The drive home was about 60 miles, no problems. I thought I had the Lane Keeping Assist turned on but it never flashed and I didn't have time to mess with it while driving the freeway at night. This morning on the way to work I got several alerts on the right side of the car while driving inside the lane. Moving to the right or left of my lane and over to the lane marker did not trigger any alert, only sporadic warnings while in my lane. When I got to work I looked up the LKAS instructions as to how to turn it on which requires hitting Main first and then pressing the button. So I don't believe I have it even turned on. I am going to test it out this weekend but wondering if anyone else has seen this?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I brought my TLX home last night, black copper pearl with espresso interior, i4 with tech package. I am so pleased with the car. The drive home was about 60 miles, no problems. I thought I had the Lane Keeping Assist turned on but it never flashed and I didn't have time to mess with it while driving the freeway at night. This morning on the way to work I got several alerts on the right side of the car while driving inside the lane. Moving to the right or left of my lane and over to the lane marker did not trigger any alert, only sporadic warnings while in my lane. When I got to work I looked up the LKAS instructions as to how to turn it on which requires hitting Main first and then pressing the button. So I don't believe I have it even turned on. I am going to test it out this weekend but wondering if anyone else has seen this?
Without LKAS turned on you still should get alerts when you leave the lane only. Mine beeps and flashes when I leave a lane or come close to leaving the lane.

When you go into Main and select the LKAS button on the lower right part of the steering when, you should notice that the lane markers appear but the boxes that make up the lane markers are empty or black on the display. There should also be a steering wheel pictured with hands on it. With KLAS fully turned on, the lane markers become filled in with white. This indicated that LKAS has a lock on the lane markers. When this happens, you can feel the steering wheel tug back and forth. If it is locked on, let go of the steering wheel and it should steer itself for 15 seconds and then ask for you to take over.

When I first got the car, I thought LKAS was turned on. It was not. LKAS turns off automatically when you power down. Also, LKAS disengages when you switch lanes, stop, go too slow or it loses track of the road. I have been on a road that the lines are dirty and the contrast between the stripes and road were not contrasted enough and the lock on would break.

It is amazing that LKAS actually steers around turnpike or wide highway turns. It's feels scary to let go at first.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Lane Keeping Assist is the most nanny technology out there. People shouldn't actually need or rely on this system. It even scares me that people are playing around with it and letting go of the wheel altogether. That is plain crazy.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
The Lane Keeping Assist is the most nanny technology out there. People shouldn't actually need or rely on this system. It even scares me that people are playing around with it and letting go of the wheel altogether. That is plain crazy.
I somewhat can agree with you. I turn it off when "I" want to drive.

I could see people abusing this, but luckily it only drives by itself for 15 seconds. Although, if you lightly hold onto the steering wheel it could drive much longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find LKAS to be one of my favorite new features. It is great for highway driving because it requires much less effort to drive. I thought it was a gimmick at first but I am very impressed with how it functions. I did turn off the lane departure warning system when LKAS is not engaged, however. I found it oversensitive and annoying.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Fun to play around with but I don't see much more use for it. Maybe good if you are drunk driving but you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I find LKAS to be one of my favorite new features. It is great for highway driving because it requires much less effort to drive. I thought it was a gimmick at first but I am very impressed with how it functions. I did turn off the lane departure warning system when LKAS is not engaged, however. I found it oversensitive and annoying.
Good idea about turning off the lane departure. I find it over sensitive as well. I just thought it was my bad city driving.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Fun to play around with but I don't see much more use for it. Maybe good if you are drunk driving but you shouldn't be doing that anyway.
True. I think it can be abused. Either by drinkers, or texters or people that fall asleep behind the wheel.

I am still interested to try it out on a long trip to see if it makes the drive less tiresome, although I love to drive.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is funny. After driving my TLX for the 9 whole days and reading this thread I realized that this feature was not turned on....I guess I didn't miss it that much :)

Another thing that I discovered yesterday, btw is how to keep accessories working after shutting the engine off. Sometimes it pays off to read the thick manual :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is an old thread by like the OP said... I have the same issue

The Lane Keeping Assist works SPORADIC for me... even with clear lane markings (and I check the LKAS and it can see the lane markings so it isnt the camera)...

Sometimes it works, somethings it doesn't... sometimes it doesn't.

Here in LA a lot of freeways are still asphalt and not pavement so that may be an issue...

Just wondering if anyone else notices this...

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts

The Lane Keeping Assist works SPORADIC for me... even with clear lane markings (and I check the LKAS and it can see the lane markings so it isnt the camera)...

Here in LA a lot of freeways are still asphalt and not pavement so that may be an issue...

Mike
The only time I've noticed issues with the LKAS is when I'm driving by an off ramp or if the lines are faded or covered in snow. Snow won't be an issue for you in LA obviously.

The odd time when I'm driving by an off ramp the car wants to take the ramp instead of staying on the highway. Other than that though it works as expected.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Mike
One issue I have noticed is that LKAS doesn't like it when the road "was" wet an there are dry tire marks causing a "dark, light, dark, light" pattern between the actual painted lines (after rain before road is completely dry... when the road is a little snowy etc.).

However, I fell in love with LKAS on the very first night. I drove to NYC from Albany, NY to pick up my car (sorry to my dealer here Northeast Acura, NYC volume makes price nearly impossible to compete). Anyway, with cruise and LKAS I drove probably 80 miles at one stretch without needing much driving input. I have Tech package so no adaptive cruise... basically, changing lanes and the occasional speed change to pass a car. It was a nearly 4 hour drive and I was the most relaxed I think I'd ever been after driving that far (especially considering the day I'd had including driving down that morning, test driving different models, being at the dealer almost all day... got home about 1230am.). I have 4000 miles on my car since I bought it in mid-December. LKAS is one of my favorite features since I drive so many highway miles.

Anyway, all that to summarize with: LKAS is awesome when used correctly and conditions support it. If you're having issues, and you're sure operation is correct and conditions are okay.... maybe ask the dealer to check?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am NOT having any issues with LKAS.... I am having issues with Lane Departure... Which even with LKAS off is supposed to shake the hweel and aleart you if you are drifting... it only works sometime..

LKAS works fine in just about all conditions here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am NOT having any issues with LKAS.... I am having issues with Lane Departure... Which even with LKAS off is supposed to shake the hweel and aleart you if you are drifting... it only works sometime..

Sorry, thought your post said Lane Keeping Assist. Now I understand. I don't use the LDW (lane departure warning) without the LKAS on. When LKAS is on, the LDW seems to work automatically (at least I've never pushed a button for LDW to work and I've never tried to engage it with LKAS off).

Anyway, sorry for any confusion.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts

Your first post in this thread (post #12 ) says you found Lane Keeing assist would work sporadically. I think that's where the confusion comes from.

So your Lane Departure Warning (LDW) is sporadic but your LKAS seems to be ok?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I found LKAS and LDW both worked sporadically. And if there was construction, game over. These systems are not as far along as some people think they are. You still need to actually drive this car. To me, this is essentially the tweener point from human-driven cars to autonomous cars. We're getting close, but it's not there yet. Other owners I spoke with in the area found similar results.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
I found LKAS and LDW both worked sporadically. And if there was construction, game over. These systems are not as far along as some people think they are. You still need to actually drive this car. To me, this is essentially the tweener point from human-driven cars to autonomous cars. We're getting close, but it's not there yet. Other owners I spoke with in the area found similar results.
The fact that the systems are labelled as driving assists, I think they work exactly as described. They are meant to assist the driver not actually to drive the car. I believe there are warnings in the owners manuals that say that as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How about the other safety tech: blind spot warning and rear cross traffic alert? Do they work well ?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts