Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Try driving in Normal for a week or two then. I've tried Sport before and while it's better, I don't consider that a proper fix as the American Honda listened to the complaints and rectified it through a series of software updates.

How is driving in Sport mode and having the car behave better for you not a proper solution? Perhaps that driving mode suits your driving style better. I didn't like Normal driving mode so I use Sport mode. I'm not going to complain to Honda saying Sport mode should be Normal mode because I like it better.

Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So many driver styles... thanks goodness for the (4) FOUR IDS modes to make all happy, did I mention four?!?!?!?! Kudos to Honda, arrrr I mean Acura! Sometimes when decelerating / using engine braking I will use the paddle shifters to avoid the dog clutch gears for slightly better performance. I believe the ZF9 can skip these when I "pass" over the 4-5 or 7-8 using the paddle shifters.

·
Registered
525 Posts
How is driving in Sport mode and having the car behave better for you not a proper solution? Perhaps that driving mode suits your driving style better. I didn't like Normal driving mode so I use Sport mode. I'm not going to complain to Honda saying Sport mode should be Normal mode because I like it better.

Maybe I misunderstood your post.
According to the TSBs and owner's posts, after the latest software updates and for 2016 and 2017 TLX with the ZF 9HP, the transmission shifts better and reacts better due to reprogrammed software. I don't drive aggressive at all. All I simply want is power when I step on the throttle. I don't mind split second delays as the transmission cycle through its gears, but I don't want it to question me and say "Are you sure you want power? You sure? Ok I'll downshift." This is a NA engine vehicle that sometimes drives like those 90s turbocharged vehicles with turbo lag. Also, I've got a 2016 and 2017 TLX with the ZF 9HP before as loaners and both times, "Normal" mode feels exactly as expected. No hesitations, no rough shifts, no "turbo lag," nothing. This is one huge reason why I like the Nissan Maxima SR my dad owns. Even though it's a CVT, the throttle response is immediate. Kind of feels like the BMW E39 528 we used to own.

Besides driving a car like a TLX in everyday Toronto traffic, I'm not sure "Sport" mode is what I want to use on a daily basis. I didn't particularly like how it would hang onto revs or make the steering feel artificially heavy. Most of the time, the engine is torquey enough but sometimes, it's just frustrating.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I never liked Normal driving mode so me using it for a week isn't going to accomplish anything. I'm still not going to like it. I also use Sport mode in heavy traffic and I don't have a problem with it.

The transmissions in the 16s and 17s will never be the same as the 15s. The issues that Acura saw in the 15s were mostly resolved in the 16s and 17s.

There are updates available for the 15s. Did you get them done? There is also a bulletin in both the US and Canada saying that if the updates don't resolve the issues that they will replace the transmission in a large number of 15s. Have you looked into that process?

·
Registered
525 Posts
There are updates available for the 15s. Did you get them done? There is also a bulletin in both the US and Canada saying that if the updates don't resolve the issues that they will replace the transmission in a large number of 15s. Have you looked into that process?
Yes I know. I've got most of them supposedly, except for the one that is supposed to address a crimp issue.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Yes I know. I've got most of them supposedly, except for the one that is supposed to address a crimp issue.

The next process is to say it's still not acting right. That's when they should look at changing the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
well I ordered that K and N filter as it be the best 49$ I spent on this car if I can get to zoom like you all are saying.

I will take it in for a reset on ZF -9 to see if it can learn how to be AUDI, as it has such a long pause between gears 1-3

and you look in rearview mirror a lot as you know that AUDI is on your tail by now.

Lets hope these 2 things help.

I also found mid speed when punching the pedal to the floor there is a long pause as too what it will do, yes after that pause it a rocket, but i'm telling you that pause is way too long as it can get you into a jam for sure .

·
Registered
525 Posts
I also found mid speed when punching the pedal to the floor there is a long pause as too what it will do, yes after that pause it a rocket, but i'm telling you that pause is way too long as it can get you into a jam for sure .
That's exactly the hesitation I'm describing. Shame really.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just installed the K-H filter and the engine feels like it's getting more air. Not sure I'm going to get more mpg as now the thing seems to want to rev faster. Oh, well, give and take.

Note that the K-H does not look at all like the stock filter, which has a plastic rim around it. The K-H has a rubberized edge and just fits into the rectangular hole of the intake. Took less than a minute to install and relatch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed the K-H filter and the engine feels like it's getting more air. Not sure I'm going to get more mpg as now the thing seems to want to rev faster. Oh, well, give and take.

Note that the K-H does not look at all like the stock filter, which has a plastic rim around it. The K-H has a rubberized edge and just fits into the rectangular hole of the intake. Took less than a minute to install and relatch.
Do realize that the K&N filters provide more air to the engine at the expense of not filtering the air as well, leading to a higher chance of gunk getting into your engine. Is it worth the maybe 1-2 HP gain?

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

·
Registered
213 Posts
just picked up my '16 TLX V6 SH-AWD and find it pretty quick i will say coming from the V6 Touring Accord i felt the Accord had instant torque the second you touched the pedal, didn't have to wait until a certain RPM.. i miss that a little but in Sport the TLX is way quicker

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my 2017 TLX V6 FWD for a week now and put on about 400 miles. The ZF shifts very smooth but it is different from the transmissions on other cars I have owned. I think I know what you are talking about the lack of Torque/responsiveness especially when being somewhat easy on the gas. I did some research on another forum and found the solution to problem. Check out SprintBooster. It has totally transformed the car. I give it a little gas and it goes and also the trans downshifts a lot sooner. I haven't even set it to its most aggressive setting. It has 2 modes with 9 settings for each mode so you can adjust it to your liking. I think Acura tuned the throttle response down to get their MPG numbers but have in the process sacrificed driveability. If it weren't for the SprintBooster I would have returned my car back to the dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I give it a little gas and it goes and also the trans downshifts a lot sooner. I haven't even set it to its most aggressive setting. It has 2 modes with 9 settings for each mode so you can adjust it to your liking. I think Acura tuned the throttle response down to get their MPG numbers but have in the process sacrificed driveability. If it weren't for the SprintBooster I would have returned my car back to the dealer.
You said that the trans downshifts a lot sooner... Is this mostly due to the more sensitive pedal mapping that the Sprintbooster applies? For instance, it FEELS like you have to push the pedal down quite a ways in order to force a downshift, even in SPORT mode. With the sprintbooster in place, I guess you only have to press it a little for the same thing to happen, thereby removing the time it takes to push the pedal farther?
Or is it doing something else altogether?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had my 2017 TLX V6 FWD for a week now and put on about 400 miles. The ZF shifts very smooth but it is different from the transmissions on other cars I have owned. I think I know what you are talking about the lack of Torque/responsiveness especially when being somewhat easy on the gas. I did some research on another forum and found the solution to problem. Check out SprintBooster. It has totally transformed the car. I give it a little gas and it goes and also the trans downshifts a lot sooner. I haven't even set it to its most aggressive setting. It has 2 modes with 9 settings for each mode so you can adjust it to your liking. I think Acura tuned the throttle response down to get their MPG numbers but have in the process sacrificed driveability. If it weren't for the SprintBooster I would have returned my car back to the dealer.
I agree the sprint booster changes everything. Best mod I have installed on my TLX

·
Registered
5 Posts
You said that the trans downshifts a lot sooner... Is this mostly due to the more sensitive pedal mapping that the Sprintbooster applies? For instance, it FEELS like you have to push the pedal down quite a ways in order to force a downshift, even in SPORT mode. With the sprintbooster in place, I guess you only have to press it a little for the same thing to happen, thereby removing the time it takes to push the pedal farther?
Or is it doing something else altogether?
You are correct. Also because of the SprintBooster it seems to delay upshifts which helps with acceleration. I think it may also do more. It may actually open the throttle plate completely. I am running it in its Race 9 setting, the most aggressive to try it out, and the throttle is very sensitive like what I remember from my 2001 CL Type S. It does take some getting used to as the delay when pressing the gas is completely gone. The sport modes are much less aggressive so it does allow a lot of adjustment if you don't like have a super sensitive pedal but want some improvement.

I had a 2007 TSX which did not have a cable directly connected from gas pedal to throttle body. It instead had a receiver that had a cable connected directly to the throttle body in engine bay. On my TSX when floored with engine off of course the throttle plate did not fully open. Asked dealer and they said everything in spec. Also test drove a 2007 TL and it seemed slower/lag than my CL.

After reading this forum I need the TCM update to speed up downshifts more as it does not do the 5-3 downshift but instead does 5-4-3 even in Sport +. It also has the fuel pump noise. Car was manufactured in 10/16. Seems crazy that Acura didn't incorporate the fixes in the 17 model year. The SprintBooster does help a lot when car is going 40 mph and pressing the gas to speed up. Without the SprintBooster its almost dangerous to drive as the delay in response is so long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2018 Pilot with the same drivetrain and a 2020 TLX with the same drivetrain about to be delivered to me in a couple days. The Pilot was bought brand new, never registered with 20km on the odometer last September and has about 1500km on it now. It has an IDS button and a ECO button. The ECO mode takes the life out of the engine, but when ECO is disabled, the performance is great, almost exhilarating. Fuel consumption is quite a bit higher, so I don’t disable ECO mode that often. I’m expecting much the same with the TLX, just more punchy and better handling.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts