Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just got done purchasing my TLX 2 weeks ago and have already put over 600 miles on it.

I am coming from a 4 cylinder turbo and one thing that I kinda miss in this car is the lack of low end torque. I mean, I have to rev the engine between 2500 and 3000 to get the car moving at a normal pace.

I have also owned a V6 camry in past and I felt a little bit same about that engine too until it was broken in and at about 15k miles, I could feel a difference where it would pick up and go right below 2k rpms.

For all of you who own v6 TLX out there, does the feel of low end torque improve over the time ? Or, do I have to get used to revving the engine between 2.3 and 3k everytime I drive ?

I would appreciate if anyone can throw some light on this ... Thank you very much !

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's got a lot of gears to work through (at least my Tech does) and the car is not light. I don't find it hard to get it moving, not even when it had 200 miles on it. Are you in Sport mode or Econ or Reg? Try Sport.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Honda(Acura) engines love to rev, and some people prefer this set up.

Try Sport+. That mode always keep the gear and rpm in the sweet spot where you get more power right away. It's not ideal for normal driving, but you will feel the power for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thank you for your reply. But, What I am trying to get to is that does the car feel more responsive after couple thousand miles? I have another 2016 Honda Civic which kinda felt gutless in the beginning but opened up quite a bit at about 6k miles....Do you guys feel something similar for your v6 tlx ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Guys, thank you for your reply. But, What I am trying to get to is that does the car feel more responsive after couple thousand miles? I have another 2016 Honda Civic which kinda felt gutless in the beginning but opened up quite a bit at about 6k miles....Do you guys feel something similar for your v6 tlx ?
I just got a new 2016 at the beginning of January, and I've already put over 1,200 miles on it (I drive alot).
I have noticed that the transmission has done some learning over that period of time, and it seems to adjust shift points in whatever mode you're driving in. But I've never felt like this engine lacked low-end torque. I used to have a Grand Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8 V6 - 260HP/280 lb/ft) and this car feels much stronger to me. On paper, the TLX is almost a full second quicker from 0-60.

I usually have it in 'sport' all the time. Sometimes I use 'Sport +'. If Im in the latter mode, I usually opt to use the paddle shifters instead of let it do its thing automatically, so Im able to keep the rpms where I want them.

Like most engines though, these should break in nicely around 10K-15K.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got a new 2016 at the beginning of January, and I've already put over 1,200 miles on it (I drive alot).
I have noticed that the transmission has done some learning over that period of time, and it seems to adjust shift points in whatever mode you're driving in. But I've never felt like this engine lacked low-end torque. I used to have a Grand Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8 V6 - 260HP/280 lb/ft) and this car feels much stronger to me. On paper, the TLX is almost a full second quicker from 0-60.

I usually have it in 'sport' all the time. Sometimes I use 'Sport +'. If Im in the latter mode, I usually opt to use the paddle shifters instead of let it do its thing automatically, so Im able to keep the rpms where I want them.

Like most engines though, these should break in nicely around 10K-15K.
Mine is at ~14000 miles and I can vouch for that, it does feel better then when I picked it up @ ~4000 miles. I do have a Takeda intake and Throttle Body Spacer but i am not sure if it made any difference.

·
Registered
525 Posts
In day to day driving around Toronto, the torque is sufficient enough in my opinion. It is a V6 after all and it has many gears to go through. If anything, the ZF 9HP is a bigger problem than the torque curve. Having 5th gear as the 1:1 gear and 4 overdrive gears is stupid. Especially when 9th is practically useless on anything but a flat highway surface.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In day to day driving around Toronto, the torque is sufficient enough in my opinion. It is a V6 after all and it has many gears to go through. If anything, the ZF 9HP is a bigger problem than the torque curve. Having 5th gear as the 1:1 gear and 4 overdrive gears is stupid. Especially when 9th is practically useless on anything but a flat highway surface.
I have the 2016 V6, and I use 9th all the time. I drive a considerable amount on the interstate (about 50 miles a day) and even though it can be hilly at times, 9th pulls just fine - I can leave it there for my whole drive. It does help with MPG for sure, compared to 8th.
If I'm nice on the throttle, I can get 38+ MPG average.

But, overall, I agree, the tranny is the biggest thing that needs work on this car. It's not terrible, but it could be a lot quicker at changing gears. The lag in downshifting when attempting to suddenly accelerate can be a bit stressful when you need the power that instant - and it's not there yet. Some folks have tried that sprintbooster thing, and they said it did help a bit with the perceived lag, since you don't have to push the pedal as far or as quick to get things happening. I may get one.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I find the take off from a stop is very good in this car.... even in normal mode if I hit the gas the TLX listens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find the take off from a stop is very good in this car.... even in normal mode if I hit the gas the TLX listens.
It's kinda funny you mention that.
I just recently added a drop-in K&N filter, more for the reusability aspect (I've used them in most of my cars). I wasn't expecting any performance or MPG gain. BUT. I have to tell you, I notice a difference, and it's not small. The throttle response has improved and the engine revs much faster. Take-off from a stop is ****-near scary now. In fact, it's hard to keep the wheels from hopping/spinning. Even starting from 2nd gear will scare your passengers.
At any rate, I agree - the TLX is a quick car :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey I agree my 2015 TLX v-6 Advance with over 16,000 miles, does have low torque issue, and even like the guy before me wrote in the higher speeds its the LAG time in the transmission as it down shifts to increase your torque and that's scary as you see the guy behind you get closer and closer. O yes after a few long sec, then you move, but those few sec. are scary.
The ZF9 speed transmission is the big draw back in this car./ They already replaced mine when the car was 2 months old, and its better but far from perfect.
I do believe this v-6 lacks the low end toque that you were asking about and I haven't seen it improve with millage on the car . I do drive my car in SPORT all the time and find the lack of torque at start up and passing at mid range speeds.

My older TL V-6 never did this , so I believe its the ZF-9 speed transmission that kills this car torque and shifting times are so long. Its the DOG CLUTCH, in this ZF that is the issue I believe, check out youtube clip on it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My TLX is faster in all aspects than was my 2008 TL. First thing I noticed about it. If I give up the idea of good milage, it tears right along. No one is hugging my tail if I move out with speed. Maybe your transmission learned your shift points when you first go it and now that's what it does. Take it in and have them reset it, then jackrabbit around and see if that helps?

·
Registered
62 Posts
ok will try that, as O it will go, but it takes many sec for the ZF-9 speed to realize that . LOw speed torque I see the same thing as it has long drawn out shift cycles. But I do agree with you that it has high end power for sure ,
I will try to see if they will reset it for me and lets hope it helps .

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
ok will try that, as O it will go, but it takes many sec for the ZF-9 speed to realize that . LOw speed torque I see the same thing as it has long drawn out shift cycles. But I do agree with you that it has high end power for sure ,
I will try to see if they will reset it for me and lets hope it helps .
Even before my transmission replacement, my TLX never took "many seconds" to downshift. It sounds like an issue with your car. Maybe take another one for a drive if your dealer has any '15s on their lot to see if it behaves the same.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Even before my transmission replacement, my TLX never took "many seconds" to downshift. It sounds like an issue with your car. Maybe take another one for a drive if your dealer has any '15s on their lot to see if it behaves the same.
It all depends in what mode you drive in. I find in "Normal" and it takes forever to shift when I ask for a kickdown. I never got the latest software update which is supposed to fix a "crimp" issue in the wiring but man... Why couldn't ZF make it perform like their 8HP? FWD packaging problems...

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I've had mine in Sport mode ever since I got the car. I can't say how the other modes perform. I can say it didn't/doesn't take seconds to downshift.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've had mine in Sport mode ever since I got the car. I can't say how the other modes perform. I can say it didn't/doesn't take seconds to downshift.
Try driving in Normal for a week or two then. I've tried Sport before and while it's better, I don't consider that a proper fix as the American Honda listened to the complaints and rectified it through a series of software updates.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts