Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm just not convinced that hackers are going to want to do this to everyday people. Sure if you are an important person, or you make the wrong people angry it might be something to worry about, and there should be security measures taken so that it can't happen, but why would a random person wnat to hack a car and make it crash for amusement? Then again America is an interesting place...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was able to connect to my Mazda3 via Wifi in SSH and, from there, was freakingly able to see a lot of stuff available to possible hack...

Happy Acura doesn't allow this, but ... with AcuraLink ... what are the car systems available to a remote operator ???

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't know what a skilled hacker could do, but the app allows me to do relatively harmless things, like: check status of lights and doors.... check my fuel gauge and other fluid status... see my odometer reading... flash lights... sound horn... lock/unlock doors...

·
Registered
191 Posts
It can send address to GPS, and my dealer told me Acura Concierge is able to read phone emails... so if there is a security issue, maybe a hacker could access emails. Maybe they have some actions available like killing the engine in case of stolen car...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just the fact that the car has a wireless modem = an IP address. It could or can be accessed via SSH, but you would need other pieces to perform that action. Now hackers - they could/would have the tools and skills to perform said act. Once accessed, I'm sure some sniffing and poking over time (as all good hackers do) will expose some vulnerabilities before an actual attack occurs.

How Hackable Is Your Car? Consult This Handy Chart | WIRED

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/...ca-must-get-out-way-vehicle-security-research

·
Registered
317 Posts
That has me wondering what sort of things private investigators might be able to do, maybe it'll make it easier for them to hack into and track people they are paid to track?

·
Registered
36 Posts
"the app allows me to do relatively harmless things"
But with the collision mitigation option... there is far more capability exposed for the theoretical hacker to access. The short bit that I saw on the Jeep looked like it tapped into the parking assist technology.

·
Registered
317 Posts
"the app allows me to do relatively harmless things"
But with the collision mitigation option... there is far more capability exposed for the theoretical hacker to access. The short bit that I saw on the Jeep looked like it tapped into the parking assist technology.
At least shutting off the vehicle is one of the things that can be done if a hack was to happen and put you in danger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts