Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting event yesterday as the gas station.

Fueled the car without problem (remembered to place the nozzle gingerly to prevent dribbles -- could not the sealing flap have been placed an inch or so down the pipe?) but when I returned to the driver's seat, the car could not detect the presence of the key. The car did not respond to any of the buttons, but the status light on the key was working, so the battery was good. Could not use Acura Link because the car was powered off.

After about 30 seconds, the car did respond to Alarm button. But, once sounding, I could not stop the alarm. Received some interesting looks from other patrons. Several came over to make sure I was OK (thanks, folks even in these tortured times basic human decency lives!) Someone kind soul called the Police. Received a text from Acura Link that my car alarm was sounding.

Alarm eventually reset. Walked away from the car to get out of range and upon returning, voila! The car worked as if nothing happened. I did a couple of power cycles to ensure all was well with no problems noted. Was about to drive away when the police arrived. Officers were understanding...the younger of the two asked if I had checked out the Kia Stinger before buying the TLX...

So, if the car doesn't recognize the key, my suggestion is to walk far enough away to get out of range so the system can reset.

Also have to check the manual for the procedure to replace the key battery, and throw a spare in the glove box. If the key can't be sensed the car is going nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
That is an interesting story. Glad it had a happy conclusion. Hope it was in a comfortable climate!
With all the electronics in modern cars, this type of issue can be expected.
By chance did you have the key in your pocket with your cell phone? I've heard, that can prevent the key from communicating with the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an interesting story. Glad it had a happy conclusion. Hope it was in a comfortable climate!
With all the electronics in modern cars, this type of issue can be expected.
By chance did you have the key in your pocket with your cell phone? I've heard, that can prevent the key from communicating with the car.
No, cell phone was in the charging cradle, but you raise a good point. In addition to phones, "secure" credit card wallets have also been suspected of interfering with key communications. In this case, I took the key out of my pocket and held it near the start button, overhead console, dash board and anywhere else I could think of without success.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
Try the "dead" battery location: fob "touching" the start button. That worked in my Civic.

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
I had to do this with our Civic about a month ago. It wouldn’t recognize the key at all. I touched it to the Start button and all was good. Strange for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts