Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got me TLX 5 months ago, it seemed that the door locking/unlocking worked very consistently. When I approached the driver side door with FOB in my pocket the door would unlock before I even reached for the door handle. I could then easily open the door. Same on way out, as soon as I shut the door I could depress the button on door handle and doors would instantly look.

Since then then behavior has become more erratic. Sometimes I practically have to move the FOB within inches of the handle. Sometime I need to pull on the handle a few times before it unlocks. Sometimes I need to pull the FOB out of my pocket and manually unlock by clicking button on FOB. Similarly upon existing, the door won't always lock. Sometimes I need to depress handle button several times. Sometimes I need to pull out FOB and manually lock via FOB button. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to this behavior. It seems like sometimes it's based on proximity of FOB to handle, but sometimes that doesn't even help.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Any ideas on how to fix it? I must say I got very spoiled never having to take FOB out of my pocket and I miss it.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I made a post about a week or so ago describing the hit and miss locking of the driver door. Unlocking wasn't normally a problem. Locking was more of an issue where it seemed to not work about 50% of the time. I would have to use the button on the rear door which worked 100% of the time.

One theory was that the fob was is the pocket furthest away from the car and to try moving it closer. I was about to start trying this and for whatever reason my lock button on the driver's door is now working normally. I can't think of anything I'm doing differently.

So, I guess the answer to your question is that I've experienced something somewhat similar to what you're describing.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Anyone else seeing this behavior? Any ideas on how to fix it? I must say I got very spoiled never having to take FOB out of my pocket and I miss it.
Weak Batteries? Maybe you wore the FOB batteries out earlier than expected? :laugh:

·
Registered
666 Posts
When I first got me TLX 5 months ago, it seemed that the door locking/unlocking worked very consistently. When I approached the driver side door with FOB in my pocket the door would unlock before I even reached for the door handle. I could then easily open the door. Same on way out, as soon as I shut the door I could depress the button on door handle and doors would instantly look.
I also believe that you may be experiencing a weak battery in your FOB. But just to be clear, the door will not unlock until you touch the sensor on the handle, see p143 of the Handbook. There is also a caveat on p144, see 6th bullet about the remote being above or below the handle and a limit of 32' radius away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also believe that you may be experiencing a weak battery in your FOB. But just to be clear, the door will not unlock until you touch the sensor on the handle, see p143 of the Handbook. There is also a caveat on p144, see 6th bullet about the remote being above or below the handle and a limit of 32' radius away.
I'll have to try my wife's FOB and see if that makes a diff. I guess it could be battery although the batteries in my 2006 TL FOBs lasted 9 years with no problems. interesting point about touching the sensor. That's never been a requirement for mine....mine will unlock (sometimes) before I even reach my hand towards the door handle. I'll be due for first service soon. I'll go to dealer and ask them if they can explain.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll have to try my wife's FOB and see if that makes a diff. I guess it could be battery although the batteries in my 2006 TL FOBs lasted 9 years with no problems. interesting point about touching the sensor. That's never been a requirement for mine....mine will unlock (sometimes) before I even reach my hand towards the door handle. I'll be due for first service soon. I'll go to dealer and ask them if they can explain.
Batteries are also cheap and using another battery would be an easy way to cancel out the battery being the problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What else might be in your pocket? If you have a cell phone in there that could be causing a lot of your problem. If you have some other kind of electronic device in your pocket that could also jam the signal. I experienced that issue one time and found out that I had inadvertently put my iPhone in the same pocket with my fob. They don't play nicely together.>:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
I made a post about a week or so ago describing the hit and miss locking of the driver door. Unlocking wasn't normally a problem. Locking was more of an issue where it seemed to not work about 50% of the time. I would have to use the button on the rear door which worked 100% of the time.

One theory was that the fob was is the pocket furthest away from the car and to try moving it closer. I was about to start trying this and for whatever reason my lock button on the driver's door is now working normally. I can't think of anything I'm doing differently.

So, I guess the answer to your question is that I've experienced something somewhat similar to what you're describing.

Wait... you have lock buttons on your rear doors? Man... Canada gets all the cool tech!... :crying:

·
Registered
35 Posts
What else might be in your pocket? If you have a cell phone in there that could be causing a lot of your problem. If you have some other kind of electronic device in your pocket that could also jam the signal. I experienced that issue one time and found out that I had inadvertently put my iPhone in the same pocket with my fob. They don't play nicely together.>:D
This just happened to me today. Was walking out from work with my laptop in my right hand tucked under my arm, and the car door wouldn't unlock when I touched the handle. Tried it multiple times to no avail, and then I remembered this thread, and realized my laptop was probably causing the problem. Sure enough, I switched my laptop to my other arm, opposite the pocket that had my FOB inside, and the car immediately unlocked!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only had my TLX Advance for 6 months and always had to touch the door handle before it can unlock. My fingers have to be on the inside of the handle before it unlocks. It works better when I approach in the front of the car. Also interference from other metallic objects or radio frequency items (phone) hinders performance.
I do notice that the puddle lights & interior come on when I am within 15-20 ft. of the car which means the car is reading my FOB.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Since then then behavior has become more erratic. Sometimes I practically have to move the FOB within inches of the handle. Sometime I need to pull on the handle a few times before it unlocks. Sometimes I need to pull the FOB out of my pocket and manually unlock by clicking button on FOB. Similarly upon existing, the door won't always lock. Sometimes I need to depress handle button several times. Sometimes I need to pull out FOB and manually lock via FOB button. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to this behavior. It seems like sometimes it's based on proximity of FOB to handle, but sometimes that doesn't even help.

Where is the setting to automatically unlock the door without touching the door handle? I have to always grab the door handle, wait for the beep then open the door.

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
Where is the setting to automatically unlock the door without touching the door handle? I have to always grab the door handle, wait for the beep then open the door.
Other than using the buttons on the FOB to open doors/Trunk, you are observing the expected behavior.
Owners Manual said:
Unlocking the doors and the trunk
Grab the driver’s door handle:
[>]The driver’s door unlocks.
[>]Some exterior lights flash twice and the beeper sounds twice.

Grab the front passenger’s or rear* door handle:
[>]All doors unlock.
[>]Some exterior lights flash twice and the beeper sounds twice.
Notice the key word: Grab

There are settings to change the behavior of which doors are opened from the FOB or by Grabbing the Handle (on the Drivers side)

Canadians have the luxury of the rear door (not sure how that works as I do not have this feature).

Reactions: Wade and Summest

·
Registered
148 Posts
As I have learned a magnetic money clip, my phone, my ipad in my tech bag, my Pebble Watch (i had it in my right hand one morning and doors would not open), just standard junk in you pocket in front of the fob.

So now when I wear jeans, I put the fob in the coin pocket (high up and nothing in front to block). With other pants I have to be careful of whats in the fob pocket.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just built a Faraday box for my fobs.

With a recent rash of breakin's in/around Seattle, targeting cars that use proximity keys to unlock/start vehicles. It seems that a frequency amplifier is being used to boost the signal that the cars are looking for. And if the key is within a certain range (inside the house, on a counter,...), the car will think the key is within the acceptable range (usually 33ft) and open the doors and possible start.

Since vacation is upon us and heading out of town (not taking the TLX) I build a simple Faraday box (tin box lined with two rows of crumpled aluminum foil). So I put fob 1 (my fob) in the box and went to open the car with box in hand - nothing! Grabbed fob 2 and the box, attempted to open car and it did, started and was driver 2 - driver 1 was not recognized. So I believe my simple box works.

Now I just drop the box with both fobs in the fire/water proof safe and head on vaca!

Build Your Own Faraday Cage. Here?s How.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is there a setting to disable car proximity sensor unlock and require keypress to unlock the doors ? Maybe usefull in this case.

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
Is there a setting to disable car proximity sensor unlock and require keypress to unlock the doors ? Maybe usefull in this case.
It does not appear to have this option: (disable proximity sensor unlock).
Owner's Manual said:
Keyless Access Setup
Door Unlock Mode: Changes which doors unlock when you grab the driver’s door handle. Driver Door Only*1/All Doors
Keyless Access Beep Volume: Changes the beep volume. High*1/Low
Keyless Access Light Flash: Causes some exterior lights to flash when you unlock/lock the doors. On*1/Off
Keyless Access Beep: Causes the beeper to sound when you unlock/lock the doors. On*1/Off
Remote Start System On/Off* Turns the remote engine start feature on and off. On*1/Off​
*1: Default Setting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts