Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any first hand experience after having installed either a K&N replacement filter or other cold air intake systems? I wouldn't mind an extra couple of ponies from my I4. Thanks...

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
K&N/AEM used my TLX as their R&D on the intake system. They figured out that the 2013 Accord fits perfectly. It reads on the Dyno a 7.5 hp increase (which you can feel it). Plus the sound it makes when you gun it! Makes me shiver haha. As far as a MPG increase... I honestly didn't pay attention to it. I won't be able to tell cause I just recently installed wheels on my car, so not sure how that would throw it off. Here is a image of the the intake on my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
$280 for 7.5 horsepower. Is that worth it? You say you can feel it, and I don't doubt it. I just wonder if that is really worth it in the end. I would want to test it out before I go and buy it, and I'm not sure if that is possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This one was a promo one cause they had my car for almost 2 weeks. The throttle wasmore responsive during my little test drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 69 series K&N which is carb legal if u r in California and yes u feel the difference plus If u change ur air filter every 500 miles it coasts about $40 dollars so u make that money back in time.and the sound is awsome

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the 69 series K&N which is carb legal if u r in California and yes u feel the difference plus If u change ur air filter every 500 miles it coasts about $40 dollars so u make that money back in time.and the sound is awsome

Air filters are about $12 and probably only need replacing every 18-24 months depending on driving conditions / mileage. I do mine annually, when I replace the cabin air filter, and it's honestly way too soon. But even at that interval, it'll cost me $120 over the likely 10 year ownership period I'll own the TLX. You'll never make your money back on a CAI or short-ram. They're fun, sound cool, and the short-ram can have a perceptible increase in throttle response, so there's that. But you're likely never going to recoup the money you spent on it.

I'd like to see the whole dyno test to compare low RPM numbers, as I'd bet they're equal or even a hair lower than stock in the RPM range we typically drive in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have been trying to install the K&N 69 series for my v6 TLX and I am stuck at just one step that I can't seem to get around. How on earth were you able to remove the crank case vent hose from the air intake tube? The TLX crank case vent hose is attached to the coolant pipe, unlike the Honda Accord v6, so the instructional video makes it look much easier than it seems when prying it out of the air intake tube. I've pulled it so hard with the clamp loosened however I've had no luck passing this step. Any help as to how you performed this would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
K&N/AEM used my TLX as their R&D on the intake system. They figured out that the 2013 Accord fits perfectly. It reads on the Dyno a 7.5 hp increase (which you can feel it). Plus the sound it makes when you gun it! Makes me shiver haha. As far as a MPG increase... I honestly didn't pay attention to it. I won't be able to tell cause I just recently installed wheels on my car, so not sure how that would throw it off. Here is a image of the the intake on my car.
Which year and model you have?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
5 Posts
upload a video of the car and the intake I want to listen to the sound ,just bought the 2018 tlx tech

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
If you think there is HP or Torque gain for using a K&N air filter over a stock air filter please explain why you think this? I would really like to know the logic in why you think this? How can changing to a K&N air filter make 7.5 or for that matter ANY extra horsepower? The stock OEM air filter and the K&N both flow as much air as the engine needs. Please explain this to me.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
I agree, adding a K&N will give you more noise and will also give you a more aggressive look when you open your hood. I just don't understand why some people believe it gives you more HP??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Marketing, my man, marketing. What's good for race cars must be good for street cars, right? I mean, these auto manufacturers strangle our cars in so many different ways. /S

1 - 18 of 18 Posts