Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ADV/AWD Black/Ebony.

Still getting acquainted, but enjoying the experience so far. Wife going to name it "skippy" because it's lively and ready to play.

Joins a 2014 MDX in the garage, replaces a 2001 Audi A6 which was a great car and served me well, but I'm not ready for a replay of the ownership experience of an out of warranty German sport sedan. Like the new TLX better than the new A4 and "C" class, anyway.

Only two gripes so far: a small one...wish the default setting on the idle stop feature was "disengaged" and a bigger one in that non-availability of a spare tire/Jack is concerning. Out here in the vast emptiness of the American Southwest, waiting for a flatbed on dark night in the middle of nowhere is not a pleasant prospect especially for the spousal unit.

Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
24 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new car!
The new TLX’s are fun to drive and look great. I feel the same way about the idle stop but I’m currently working on a way around that and also to be able to save the drive modes to sport and individual😁 You should be able to buy a spare tire and jack as an accessory from acura. There is a bracket so it can be mounted over the battery in the trunk at least that’s what I’ve heard. Maybe it just hasn’t come out yet for sale?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase!

Now....

:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome and congrats on your new car!
The new TLX’s are fun to drive and look great. I feel the same way about the idle stop but I’m currently working on a way around that and also to be able to save the drive modes to sport and individual😁 You should be able to buy a spare tire and jack as an accessory from acura. There is a bracket so it can be mounted over the battery in the trunk at least that’s what I’ve heard. Maybe it just hasn’t come out yet for sale?
My dealer is full of nice people, but they just weren't sure about the spare tire deal. Right now it's not showing up in the catalog, but their catalog is incomplete. They'll let me know. Car is a hoot!

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
ADV/AWD Black/Ebony.

Still getting acquainted, but enjoying the experience so far. Wife going to name it "skippy" because it's lively and ready to play.

Joins a 2014 MDX in the garage, replaces a 2001 Audi A6 which was a great car and served me well, but I'm not ready for a replay of the ownership experience of an out of warranty German sport sedan. Like the new TLX better than the new A4 and "C" class, anyway.

Only two gripes so far: a small one...wish the default setting on the idle stop feature was "disengaged" and a bigger one in that non-availability of a spare tire/Jack is concerning. Out here in the vast emptiness of the American Southwest, waiting for a flatbed on dark night in the middle of nowhere is not a pleasant prospect especially for the spousal unit.

Thanks for having me.
Nice! Yes - post pics please and welcome!

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
Looks sharp!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks great! Got to test drive a 2021 Advance model yesterday and it felt really nice and always ready to go. Different compared to my V6 Aspec and even my fiance's '19 RDX with the same engine. Wonder if they tweaked the engine for the TLX cause I didn't get any lag with the engine like the RDX does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great! Got to test drive a 2021 Advance model yesterday and it felt really nice and always ready to go. Different compared to my V6 Aspec and even my fiance's '19 RDX with the same engine. Wonder if they tweaked the engine for the TLX cause I didn't get any lag with the engine like the RDX does.
I came from an 2001 Audi A6/2.7T. That car was was notorious for turbo lag so the Acura feels insanely responsive by comparison whether it lags or not. Seriously, I'm more bothered by the minor driveline shudder when the engine restarts off the idle stop (whose idea was it to have that "feature" default to on?) to notice any appreciable turbo lag. Once rolling, of course, the Acura is a rocket. Frankly, I wasn't expecting 2 liters to pull a 4,000 lb. car as well as it does -- enough so I abandoned the original plan to wait for the S-type to hit the streets.

I like the (roughly) 2 liter, 4 cyl + turbo engine formula and have owned a number of them (82 Volvo 242GT, 84 Saab 900T, Porsche 944T and the Audi). While the Saab will always be near to my heart, I think the Acura is by far the most "realized" implementation I've seen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I came from an 2001 Audi A6/2.7T. That car was was notorious for turbo lag so the Acura feels insanely responsive by comparison whether it lags or not. Seriously, I'm more bothered by the minor driveline shudder when the engine restarts off the idle stop (whose idea was it to have that "feature" default to on?) to notice any appreciable turbo lag. Once rolling, of course, the Acura is a rocket. Frankly, I wasn't expecting 2 liters to pull a 4,000 lb. car as well as it does -- enough so I abandoned the original plan to wait for the S-type to hit the streets.

I like the (roughly) 2 liter, 4 cyl + turbo engine formula and have owned a number of them (82 Volvo 242GT, 84 Saab 900T, Porsche 944T and the Audi). While the Saab will always be near to my heart, I think the Acura is by far the most "realized" implementation I've seen.
The TLX honestly feels more responsive than the RDX with the same engine, minor/no lag vs noticeable lag with the throttle. I feel like it was much easier to tell cause I prefer non-turbo cars and it drives almost exactly the same as my '18 V6 Aspec. The new body and the double wishbone suspension makes the car feel really nice around corners too and I honestly couldn't tell I was driving a FWD car. I agree with you that it's definitely a rocket once it gets going and I can't wait for the Type S.

I've always been a huge fan of large displacement engines and honestly can't wait to get enough funds for a 6.2L E63 AMG for a second car :cool: Definitely love where they are going with the smaller displacement (mainly 2.0L turbos) engines.

·
Registered
2018 TLX ASpec
5 Posts
ADV/AWD Black/Ebony.

Thanks for having me.
Welcome, we also have a 2020 MDX Tech package. I also dont love the idle off. If you brake real lightly, the car wont shut off when stopped. But I wish the driver could turn that off via a setting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome, we also have a 2020 MDX Tech package. I also dont love the idle off. If you brake real lightly, the car wont shut off when stopped. But I wish the driver could turn that off via a setting.
Well, there's a big button on the top of the console stack that turns the system off (yea, yeah...real hardship reaching all that way and puuuusssshhhhing that button) but I wish I could set the default to off.

You see the preview of the 22 MDX? Whaddya think?

·
Registered
84 Posts
You see the preview of the 22 MDX? Whaddya think?
I did! What I think is that I'm going to start saving my money for the 2022 Type S, and buy it used in 2025!

Acura eliminated that dumpy rear-end on it, and brought it in line with the design that we see in the 2021 TLX. Very nice-looking.

The fact that it shares the same engine as a small, 4-door sedan is a little underwhelming, but I suppose we can't complain, relative to previous model-years!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts