Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the 4 and it didn't have enough power for me. The V6 was super fast and sounded great! I just drove it home from the dealership so far but I am loving it. The iPhone integration is great. Lots of toys to play with inside :)

The only thing I am not thrilled with is how long the transmission takes to downshift when you step on it, but in Sport+ mode it holds the gear you select so that's pretty nice. That great engine makes up for any transmission reservations.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Congrats!! I hope your experience with your new TLX is as enjoyable and troublefree as mine :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I drove the 4 and it didn't have enough power for me. The V6 was super fast and sounded great! I just drove it home from the dealership so far but I am loving it. The iPhone integration is great. Lots of toys to play with inside :)

The only thing I am not thrilled with is how long the transmission takes to downshift when you step on it, but in Sport+ mode it holds the gear you select so that's pretty nice. That great engine makes up for any transmission reservations.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post is a positive one!

Congratulations on the TLX purchase. What color combo did you get?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I got black with light grey interior. This is the first time I've had a light interior in a car but I like it, and I think it should be cooler in the hot California summer days.

Drove it to work this morning and didn't mind the traffic at all. :) The integration with the iPhone, Siri, and Pandora is really nice. With the interior, features, and that glorious engine, this car is a joy. Still getting used to that wacky 9-speed transmission and the different modes, but maybe there will be future software updates to improve its behavior.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Great buy! I am still getting used to the 9 speed, and the evil Auto idle stop. Lost of posts here on transmission, mostly relating the 8 speed aggrevations. There is also great video on how the 9 speed works and its quirks.

Enjoy the drive!

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks! I got black with light grey interior. This is the first time I've had a light interior in a car but I like it, and I think it should be cooler in the hot California summer days.

Drove it to work this morning and didn't mind the traffic at all. :) The integration with the iPhone, Siri, and Pandora is really nice. With the interior, features, and that glorious engine, this car is a joy. Still getting used to that wacky 9-speed transmission and the different modes, but maybe there will be future software updates to improve its behavior.
I have the graystone interior with Bellanova white exterior and also like the way the lighter color emphasizes space. When I first got my V6 TLX, I missed the "growl" of the 3.7 liter coming from the TL, but have to say that now that the TLX has a nice engine sound. I disabled the ANC (automatic noise cancellation) and that may also help bring out some of that nice VTEC engine soundtrack.

Congrats on the TLX!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats! :)

Reactions: chrisz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great buy! I am still getting used to the 9 speed, and the evil Auto idle stop. Lost of posts here on transmission, mostly relating the 8 speed aggrevations. There is also great video on how the 9 speed works and its quirks.

Enjoy the drive!
Thanks HAx5. Thankfully I don't have idle auto-stop; I got the base package, which had everything I wanted. Could you give me a link to that video?

·
Registered
12 Posts
TL AWD vs TLX V6

I have the graystone interior with Bellanova white exterior and also like the way the lighter color emphasizes space. When I first got my V6 TLX, I missed the "growl" of the 3.7 liter coming from the TL, but have to say that now that the TLX has a nice engine sound. I disabled the ANC (automatic noise cancellation) and that may also help bring out some of that nice VTEC engine soundtrack.

Congrats on the TLX!
I came from a 2014 TL SH-AWD also. (It was just too heavy on the gas for an Acura, so I jumped over to a 2015 TLX.)

Yeah, the 3.7 engine was pretty sweet. I like the seats in the TL AWD better than the TLX for sure. The 8 speed TLX's transmission is a little smoother, but the 9 speed is ok. (I have an early TLX model that has to have the transmission inspected - possibly replaced.)

The TL AWD had better grip, but that comes at the expense of weight and fuel consumption. I find I can break traction on my V6 FWD TLX very easily, and these have the Bridgestones (rather than the Eagles). But with less rolling resistance, it has way better fuel economy.

The TLX is much quieter than any other car I've owned, and the brake hold makes commuting much more stress free. The ride is less firm, but that's good and bad.

All in all, I like the TLX better... if they just carried over the more aggressive seats (side bolsters) from the TL I would consider it fantastic.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So do you just keep the TLX in Sport + mode or is that not really practical?

Welcome to the forum!

Post up some pics when you get the chance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally, I usually drive in Normal mode. (I set Normal as default on the transmission.) After getting on the freeway, I usually cruise in Eco mode.

Since I have the TLX V-6 FWD w/ PAWS, I went up Angeles Crest (CA-2) in Los Angeles, CA to get used to the 4 wheel steering. (I drove in Sport mode.) The steering in Sport mode is very similar to the TL SH-AWD feel.

I've used Sport+ mode a few times, and I don't find it necessary to use it frequently. I only notice that Sport+ mode holds the gear longer.

The only aftermarket mods I am considering is +1 (19") wheels with 245-40R19 tires, power folding mirrors, interior wrap of the "real" wood trim. I have already swapped out the few non-LED interior bulbs (bottom of front doors and trunk) with LED bulbs.

NOTE: The touch screen does not function with a screen protector.

I have a 2015 TLX w/ Tech Pkg in Bellanova White with Ebony interior. The only option I got was the illuminated door sills.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So do you just keep the TLX in Sport + mode or is that not really practical?

Welcome to the forum!

Post up some pics when you get the chance.
Here's a pic of my TLX the first morning it was in my driveway :)

Sport+ mode does hold the gear you select, but it is kind of a pain to be shifting through 9 speeds all the time. I wouldn't mind the other modes so much except for the fact that it takes too long to gear down when you step on it, and it is too eager to go back to auto "D" mode from a gear you select. So I tend to use Normal and Sport a lot, but still figuring out what works best.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Here's a pic of my TLX the first morning it was in my driveway :)

Sport+ mode does hold the gear you select, but it is kind of a pain to be shifting through 9 speeds all the time. I wouldn't mind the other modes so much except for the fact that it takes too long to gear down when you step on it, and it is too eager to go back to auto "D" mode from a gear you select. So I tend to use Normal and Sport a lot, but still figuring out what works best.
Figuring it out is fun part! :)

Nice Pic. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I came from a 2014 TL SH-AWD also. (It was just too heavy on the gas for an Acura, so I jumped over to a 2015 TLX.)

Yeah, the 3.7 engine was pretty sweet. I like the seats in the TL AWD better than the TLX for sure. The 8 speed TLX's transmission is a little smoother, but the 9 speed is ok. (I have an early TLX model that has to have the transmission inspected - possibly replaced.)

The TL AWD had better grip, but that comes at the expense of weight and fuel consumption. I find I can break traction on my V6 FWD TLX very easily, and these have the Bridgestones (rather than the Eagles). But with less rolling resistance, it has way better fuel economy.

The TLX is much quieter than any other car I've owned, and the brake hold makes commuting much more stress free. The ride is less firm, but that's good and bad.

All in all, I like the TLX better... if they just carried over the more aggressive seats (side bolsters) from the TL I would consider it fantastic.
I agree 100% about the TL seats being better - you're right about the side bolsters. As far as handling - the OEM tires on the TLX are for cost control and fuel economy. I put Michelin A/S 3's on my TLX the same day I picked it up and I think the TLX chassis is dramatically better handling curves than TL SH when it has better tires.

My TL corners well and at the limits the AWD will deliver but it feels like a leap of faith in the process sometimes. TLX SH with the A/S 3's is literally glued to the road and corners insanely well.

I checked the noise levels at highway speeds and the increase was an indistinguishable 1.5 dB and I get 32-33 mpg in sport mode on the highway.

There are a couple of lag points with the shifts I would like to eliminate, but I think the chassis really is a gem. It drives like a different car with the right tires. It felt too "floaty" to me with the OEM Goodyears. I also turned off the ANC (noise cancellation) so I could hear more VTEC engine soundtrack - bringing back some of the previous model TL's growl.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am really liking Sport+ mode, it makes the car a lot more responsive and nicer to drive, as well as providing a fully manual mode without kicking back into D on its own. The downside is higher revs on the highway and slightly higher fuel consumption. But having that instant acceleration without any delay makes up for a lot!

Also I've been thinking about the complaints about harder shifts than with a traditional "slush box" auto. This tranny is closer to a robotically shifted manual, since the gears are truly engaged using dogs and not fluid coupled. So that's the trade-off you make but I think it's a good one: you have a nice direct connection from the engine to the wheels. If you can get it to hold the gear you want (like in Sport+) it has the solid feel of a manual, with the advantage of auto-shifting when you want it.

Still keeping busy with all the audio system choices: Bluetooth, pandora, a USB drive full of my music, plus the free XMAS radio. Not getting bored on my commute! Also love punching it and hearing the engine and feeling it pull. That never gets old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts