Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the sounds of it, yes... then again, maybe its the DCT?

One big draw is the TLX's selection of engines -- a 2.4-liter four-cylinder in front-wheel drive and a 3.5-liter V-6 in either fwd or all-wheel drive -- said Lee Hubbard, managing partner at Jay Wolfe Acura in Kansas City, Mo. The dealership has sold 77 TLX units through October, with sales up 45 percent over the TL and TSX in the same period last year.

"We always had kickback from customers trying to sell a four-cylinder like the TSX offered because it didn't offer enough performance," he said. "But now we have as many asking for the four-cylinder that's mated to the all-new eight-speed transmission and optional drive modes."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
On the surface, most consumer do not know what they need and are guided by reviewers, marketing and others, so they say that they want more performance. Bottom line is a 2.4l is more than adequate for 90% of the consumers, call them the typical buyer. But since there is an option of a 3.5l with more bells and whistles many will go this route. Of the remaining 10%, most would just not be satisfied with 2.4l. Then there is the cost factor, and for many this is not a defining issue.

So yes, the majority of sales will be the 2.4l. Some think that the 3.5l with FWD is a not a good option, but I bet it will outsell the SH-AWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
For me, if my budget allowed I would have gone with one of the all wheel drive models. Living in the snow belt and coming from an AWD Honda Pilot I'm used to having the security of the extra traction in the winter. The highest model I could afford was the 4 cyl tech (FWD) and so far have no regrets. I have the option to work at home so I can avoid the bad weather days as needed, plus I am much happier with the driving experience and fuel mileage as compared to the Pilot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Bought the 2.4 and live in the city that finished 1st in snowfall last year - Erie, PA. Drove the TLX in the first bad storm (8 inches of snow) with no problems. But just to be sure, went out on Tire Rack and bought a set of Goodyear snow tires mounted on Acura rims. They look great and don't have to mess with taking the tires off the rims to put snow tires on them anymore. Best $1,000 I ever spent. But again, it went fine even without the snow tires. Since this is my wife's car, the $1k is for peace of mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
I think that the TLX appeals to people who want luxury but at a bit more of a reasonable price. That probably makes it so more people go with the 4 cylinder engine. And that engine will be fun and acceptable to most people. I think many people would spend extra money on options and tech instead of a better engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Bought the 2.4 and live in the city that finished 1st in snowfall last year - Erie, PA. Drove the TLX in the first bad storm (8 inches of snow) with no problems. But just to be sure, went out on Tire Rack and bought a set of Goodyear snow tires mounted on Acura rims. They look great and don't have to mess with taking the tires off the rims to put snow tires on them anymore. Best $1,000 I ever spent. But again, it went fine even without the snow tires. Since this is my wife's car, the $1k is for peace of mind.
how did you find it's performance to be in winter? and how was that compared to other vehicles you have owned?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Pretty sure that the 4-cylinder is the most popular engine option. We should post a poll that asks people which engine they went with on their TLX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
The most amazing thing to me is how smooth and powerful the i4 really is, absolutely amazing... It feels like a V6 with 250-300 hp (like my previous Honda pilot, Acura MDX, Lexus IS350, 2001 TL-S or 2014 Accord Touring that had V6's in them). It doesn't feel nearly as strained for power as high output I4's Ive had like my Sti, S2000's (3), etc...

Sometimes I cant believe its a i4. The only time I feel it being a 4 banger is when I'm at like 70 and I stomp it which s very rare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I was watching Motorweek on PBS yesterday and they had the new Merc 300 series on it. I was utterly shocked that the 240 hp I4 turbo model they were testing was priced at near $50K. The thing looked like a 90's style Hyundai in design from the outside and the interior in my opinion looked like craap compared to the TLX. ITtwas supposed to be more "luxurious" but I didnt see it. I was truly and utterly shocked that someone would buy that car over a $31K TLX that at that price point had similar features if not more.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top