Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so here's the story:

disclaimer: keep in mind though, that women are known to be unpredictable, unstable, and can change their minds 180-degrees within a second

we have 2 cars now, one a TLX SH-AWD tech, and a 2013 lexus CT200h which i got for my mom to drive, since she doesnt like driving big cars. i got the lexus about a year ago (she paid me back for the cost so its kinda "hers"), and then i got the TLX a month ago for myself after getting rid of our 2000 acura EL which was our main family car until now. we occasionally swap cars to drive if needed but basically the lexus is hers and the TLX is mine.

as you may know already, i got my 62-yr old mom to drive my TLX this week. she now loves the TLX and hates the lexus lol because its too small and too cramped and she has trouble viewing the blind spot etc. seems like the TLX hits the sweet spot for her in terms of size. the speed of the V6 is much better than the lexus which comparably is slow as molasses. she told me she wants to take the TLX, throws me the lexus to trade-in and give me $10k to minimize the depreciation, and tell me to buy another car "that i like"

but....i like my TLX, its hard to find a matching competing car that has all the qualities, reliability and value that TLX offers. and the thought of handing over a 300hp car to my mom to drive in ECON mode 99% of the time boggles my mind

we have explored a few options "for her", including the new 2015 camry, and maybe sit it out for a bit and see what the new ILX offers (she likes the ILX but i hate driving the current one with the dreaded drivetrain, and i told her that i refuse to buy the current ILX).

we test drove the camry today (XLE V6), she likes it though she finds the interior finishing to be not as refined as the TLX. of course thats to be expected; its a toyota after all, not a lexus. but i think its passable/acceptable for her

but i was also thinking: maybe i should get my mom the 4-cylinder i4 engine TLX TECH.......but it feels weird to have both cars the same brand, and the same model year/design sitting in the garage.

so what do you guys think? is it weird to have 2 of the same car in the household?

my mom's criteria: goldilocks style - not too big, not too small. not any longer in length then the TLX or camry. leather seat option an absolute must. and not too slow in terms to 0-60mph. no baller type cars like MB or BMW. good reliability (which means domestic cars are out). and definitely no SUVs

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know about weird. There are people that have the his and hers cars - same car but different colour. If you really like the car, who cares what everyone else thinks - just get another one!

Another option I would suggest is a new Accord - much better than a Camry.

·
Registered
666 Posts
For a number of year my wife and I both had Mazda 626's at the same time, two in succession for me and two for her, but never the same model year or color. Functional and reliable. So I do not consider it weird, just practical, and no stranger than continuing to buy the same model car.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a number of year my wife and I both had Mazda 626's at the same time, two in succession for me and two for her, but never the same model year or color. Functional and reliable. So I do not consider it weird, just practical, and no stranger than continuing to buy the same model car.
i do not have a problem with updating the same model later on, because it will be different with newer features.

but i am talking about buying two 2015 TLX right now....though maybe one V6 SH-AWD and one i4, and different color

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
i do not have a problem with updating the same model later on, because it will be different with newer features.

but i am talking about buying two 2015 TLX right now....though maybe one V6 SH-AWD and one i4, and different color
You tend to recommend what you like and drive. If you like something besides a TLX, I am sure you would have bought that car instead. If it meets her requirements, why not get something you know about. You've studied this car enough to know almost everything about it. :)

Maybe let her choose the color? :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but getting both cars of the same model sounds a bit narrow-minded (for lack of a better term) and not open to what others are offering in the world, like living in a bubble or greenhouse.

if you get another "lifeline" or a second chance at picking a car like the TLX, but not the TLX itself, what would you consider?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Another factor. You should be able to get an excellent deal on the second car as you can really push the sales rep hard to get the best price possible. Having two in the same family is a huge marketing statement for them.

As I have no regrets, still like the car it would be my second choice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Best bang for your money TLX all the way...but you know that already since you bought one. If money is no issue and possibly reliability you could look at the new C-Class from MB; it was one of the contender before I bought my TLX, but the large cost difference for similar eqpt and the poor reputation of the local dealer for after-sale service....The new Chrysler 200 might be an appealing car (I have not tested one) but Chrysler historical long term reliability and materiel quality has never in the top tier.

I have 2 Acura product in my driveway and if people thinks that makes me narrow minded, well that is too bad...10 years down the road I'll still be driven my Acuras. I have had noting but Honda cars in my driveway for the past 23 years. :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Best bang for your money TLX all the way...but you know that already since you bought one. If money is no issue and possibly reliability you could look at the new C-Class from MB; it was one of the contender before I bought my TLX, but the large cost difference for similar eqpt and the poor reputation of the local dealer for after-sale service....The new Chrysler 200 might be an appealing car (I have not tested one) but Chrysler historical long term reliability and materiel quality has never in the top tier.

I have 2 Acura product in my driveway and if people thinks that makes me narrow minded, well that is too bad...10 years down the road I'll still be driven my Acuras. I have had noting but Honda cars in my driveway for the past 23 years. :D
my mom detests driving german luxury cars....maybe she is ok with audi but definitely not MB or BMW. besides the cost factor, her circle of friends arent necessarily rich so she doesnt want to look like she is some baller. afterall, she is 62-yrs old and kinda is in the retirement age

if the TLX never existed and i went for a MB C-class, my mom said she will never touch it (guess thats a good thing in a way lol)

i am not saying having 2 acuras being narrow-minded, but rather 2 of the SAME car with the SAME model year. i absolutely have no problems with for example someone has a civic and a accord or a fit, or a TLX with a MDX. but 2 TLXs (again, same model year) kinda makes you raise eyebrows no?

·
Registered
80 Posts
an another consideration could be cargo space. In that case you could go for a RDX or MDX which is a very decent car and provides with the extra cargo space when required. This is what I have done with the MDX I purchase last year for my wife. The wife just loves the MDX because of its height and sure-footing...Food for thought.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
an another consideration could be cargo space. In that case you could go for a RDX or MDX which is a very decent car and provides with the extra cargo space when required. This is what I have done with the MDX I purchase last year for my wife. The wife just loves the MDX because of its height and sure-footing...Food for thought.
when i dragged my mom to see the new camry, i also made her sit in the corolla and rav4. corolla has no leather seat option so thats out. and she doesnt like climbing up on SUVs and feel they are too big for her so the entire SUV category is out for her.

she is very short, around 158cm tall or 5'-2"

and obviously minivans and pickup trucks are out too lol

but with that in mind, i have been wondering.......whats the appeal for SUVs in the eyes of middle aged women and soccer moms anyways, besides cargo space and spacious seating if you have many kids? seems like alot of them love to drive SUVs

·
Registered
80 Posts
when i dragged my mom to see the new camry, i also made her sit in the corolla and rav4. corolla has no leather seat option so thats out. and she doesnt like climbing up on SUVs and feel they are too big for her so the entire SUV category is out for her.

she is very short, around 158cm tall or 5'-2"

and obviously minivans and pickup trucks are out too lol

but with that in mind, i have been wondering.......whats the appeal for SUVs for middle aged women and soccer moms anyways, besides cargo space and spacious seating if you have many kids? seems like alot of them love to drive SUVs
My wife is barely 5 ft and 58 (don't let her know I posted her age on the Internet...I am a dead man and there will be a brand new TLX for the taking >:D). But you should let take a look at the RDX as it is not as high to climb into as the MDX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To the OP...please keep in mind women do read this forum so as a woman I can tell you that your disclaimer is a known generalization. ;)

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with having two cars of the same brand in the same household. It just shows people what a great car the TLX is. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
but with that in mind, i have been wondering.......whats the appeal for SUVs in the eyes of middle aged women and soccer moms anyways, besides cargo space and spacious seating if you have many kids? seems like alot of them love to drive SUVs
After my mom switched from a car to a minivan nearly 30 years ago, she will never drive a car again. She loves the seating in the SUV so you sit upright. She complains about sitting in a car being too low with your legs stretched out. Plus she finds it too low getting into a car.

I'd second the RDX. I had it as a service loaner recently and loved driving it. My boss also has one for his wife who is very short, and she loves driving it too. It is very easy to park and manoeuvre, comfortable seating, quiet, lots of room for the second row, and a fair bit of cargo space.

·
Registered
666 Posts
my mom detests driving german luxury cars....maybe she is ok with audi but definitely not MB or BMW.
Is this the opposite of saying that you would never be caught driving a Hyndai or Kia.

If she is open to the idea of an Audi then do yourselves a favour and go and test drive an Audi Q3. It is not as high as a typical SUV but great seating position for those that like to sit higher than a sedan, rides very well, and is in the same ballpark as the TLX. It lacked some of the features found on the Elite model of the TLX, otherwise that is what I would have gotten. I highly recommend it for her if two TLX's are a problem.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

To the OP...please keep in mind women do read this forum so as a woman I can tell you that your disclaimer is a known generalization. ;)

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with having two cars of the same brand in the same household. It just shows people what a great car the TLX is. :)
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Please help me keep these guys in line.

What are you driving? (Not to sound sexist) :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well a few hours later she says lets just keep the lexus. but as soon as she makes another complaint about it later on, we will be back to this conversation again lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reactions: Summest
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.