Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this info from a friend on the inside. Forgot his name. :)

SM said they expect software upgrades for all 8 & 9 speed transmission shifting issues to be available sometime in January, major complaints from many customers. ODMD upgrade issued soon for HFL issues due to many customer complaints. Black vents to replace chrome trimmed OEM are now available and yes some dealers will replace them free for good/long term customers. Defective top strut mount replacements will be available asap. "Jell-O" effect is, regardless of what some of the posting jerks think, due to current design of suspension dampers and electronics to allow selective drive modes. Way too much $$ involved to correct engineering at this stage of game on 2015's but MAY be corrected in time for 2016's release.

Regardless of the PR spin, introduction has not gone as smoothly as corporate anticipated and it all began with poor implementation of and lying throughout introduction and advertising of the rewards car program.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have heard many complaints (and to be fair, many with no issues), but I must admit that the number and range of items has been a little unnerving....esp transmission issues. Happy to hear that Acura is working on these to get it right. I am still enjoying my 07 TL (should top 200000 miles in spring), but I know that TLX is high on the list for my next car, but not before they gets these issues resolved....and come out with S model with 300+ hp and exposed exhaust (just kidding).

·
Registered
22 Posts
My TLX ( I4, dual clutch) is an early build and it has been very uneventful. Typical Acuonda I guess. No squeaks or rattles, and no mechanical drivetrain issues at all. I have just over 3500 miles on mine, including a long road trip. Fuel economy has been at sticker or better and shhhh. Regular unleaded works just fine btw on a daily commute. If I'm going to take a curvy road or enjoy the drive I step up to mid. I do use top tier fuels mostly.

The transmission hasn't been an issue at all. Yes, especially in cold weather, it does throw a rough shift or two, particularly in Sport mode. The normal and Econ modes reduce this quite a bit as the computer tries to shift sooner rather than later for economy. Once the car warms up things are fairly smooth for a dual clutch. I try to remember dual clutch transmissions are for quick shifts and economy. I still prefer the transmission to the CVT in the accords. As computerized as cars are, a software update will probably take some of the edge off things.

Speaking of which, the TLX does have to boot up at start up. It starts promptly but the electronics have to do their thing. It isn't objectionable at all - 2 seconds tops.

·
Registered
438 Posts
whats the jello effect?

·
Registered
438 Posts
isnt that kinda common for cars with electric brakes nowadays when you put to park or apply the electric brake?

·
Registered
96 Posts
several people have reported that when coming to a stop, the car oscillates back and forth like jello.....and not like other/previous cars.
lol, sounds like a Lincoln Towncar. I'm curious what people mean by a transmission's rough shift. I've had many cars where transmission sort of makes a noticeable jerk. Even now I have a brand new Optima Limited and I feel a bit of jerkness in the first couple of gears, especially if the car is still cold. I've also had cars with actual transmission failures and felt like being hit from behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts