Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I find myself distracted while learning the proper voice command while driving. Looks like it is best to pull over and park before figuring out the correct command. While parked I can use my cell phone legally and not worry about voice commands.
Man, it sounds pretty stupid when you say it like that. Ultimately I don't think that we are going to find a way that is completely distraction free for people to do things like make phone calls in their cars. You are doing something at the same time as you are driving. It is the definition of 'distracted'.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Man, it sounds pretty stupid when you say it like that. Ultimately I don't think that we are going to find a way that is completely distraction free for people to do things like make phone calls in their cars. You are doing something at the same time as you are driving. It is the definition of 'distracted'.
careful where you go with that though...

switching on HVAC, distracted
reaching for the volume, distracted
having a conversation with a passenger, distracted
looking at the girl in the pretty dress, distracted
thinking about work, distracted

·
Registered
727 Posts
careful where you go with that though...

switching on HVAC, distracted
reaching for the volume, distracted
having a conversation with a passenger, distracted
looking at the girl in the pretty dress, distracted
thinking about work, distracted
Yup, just about anything you do in your vehicle is a distraction while driving.
It's okay to use an infotainment system while driving, but use your phone... and all of a sudden it's a big issue. Funny how it works.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There are different levels of distraction though. studies show that having a conversation isn't really that distracting. I think that it all depends on how much you have to devote your thoughts to the other activity. Also your physical body (hands, eyes, etc).

I think that it is something that scientists are probably studying now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There are different levels of distraction though. studies show that having a conversation isn't really that distracting. I think that it all depends on how much you have to devote your thoughts to the other activity. Also your physical body (hands, eyes, etc).

I think that it is something that scientists are probably studying now.
having a conversation is distracting, as was said above if you're not focused on driving, its distracting!

Ok, thats not convincing. When you drive alone your brain switches into spacial mode, its evaluating the spatial relations between you and your surrounding objects, you're using the right side of your brain.

When having a conversation it forces your left brain into the equation (which is naturally more dominant in most people) which means your spatial awareness is diminished. Maybe you're not a 'distracted' driver but you're certainly a worse driver.

Thats why racing drivers HATE talking on the radio...

Kimi Raikkonen: Don't Talk To Me (Ferrari Team Radio, 2009) - YouTube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts