Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura TLX Elite SH-AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any possibility of changing the hardware in my 2017 TLX Elite to a 2018+ infotainment system to add CarPlay and all the other features?

What parts are needed and what would the cost be? Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
i've done this project. It's very expensive.
You need the 2018+ Audio System, the 2018 upper display, Carplay Unit, The wiring harness to connect the carplay Unit (i've rewired by myself).
To get no Errors you need the 2018+ Radio Tuner, too. This is with XM integrated, so there is some rewire at the rear of the car to get all connected.

After i did this all i've Apple CarPlay but not Android Auto. So perhaps you need the Telematics Unit, too.

regards
Hans

·
Registered
2017 Acura TLX Elite SH-AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
i've done this project. It's very expensive.
You need the 2018+ Audio System, the 2018 upper display, Carplay Unit, The wiring harness to connect the carplay Unit (i've rewired by myself).
To get no Errors you need the 2018+ Radio Tuner, too. This is with XM integrated, so there is some rewire at the rear of the car to get all connected.

After i did this all i've Apple CarPlay but not Android Auto. So perhaps you need the Telematics Unit, too.

regards
Hans
How much was this project and how long did it take for you to complete? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'Ve spend about $900 for all.
I did the swap in about 1 week, because i bought the parts not all together.
I got the head unit from a car recycler in canada. The upper display and carplay unit i've found on ebay. The radio tuner in my car is from the Honda NSX, because i need some features here in germany. But you'll get all parts from the recycler in canada for a good price i think.

You should use the 39540-tz4-c610 for your car. This is the best audio head unit to have all features from your 2017 Elite

·
Registered
37 Posts
I spent about $500 for all the parts including wiring and connectors to build the harness. Unfortunately for me I use Android and couldn't get pass the loading screen for AA. I tried with a friend's iPhone and it connected. to CP.

Wiring up the tuner unit would be a PITA because the XM unit in built in on the newer unit and the antenna would not reach. I have my parts still sitting around if any interest because I'm stuck with AA not working.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't change the telematics unit. I thought about changing it for a different reason since 3G has been retired. It seems like I will need the dealership to activate it to my car so I didn't bother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts