Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Tech with 10,800 miles. I had a software update done last month at the dealership and they asked me to drive 500-800 miles to see if it gets better. It did but in the meantime, my seat was feeling loose/rocking so I made an appointment for that and also for them to look at the trans data. They asked me to go on a drive with a mechanic so I did. He took a bunch of screens shots of the transmission between 1-2 and 2-3 gears and said they'll send it to Acura and see if they're willing to put in a new trans. They called me few hours later and said I'm getting a new trans and a new seat frame. Great customer service but all this on a car with 10K miles already that cost $40K? ****...Anyway, I have a 2018 TLX 4 cylinder loaner, the transmission in this car is amazing but it's definitely lacking the power of the V6 and I do miss my SH-AWD. I'll update next week around Tuesday how the new trans is feeling, hopefully they put it together nice and tight.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
Congratulation's! You just won yourself a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty for your transmission. You will be getting a letter in the mail informing you of what you won.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Tech with 10,800 miles. I had a software update done last month at the dealership and they asked me to drive 500-800 miles to see if it gets better. It did but in the meantime, my seat was feeling loose/rocking so I made an appointment for that and also for them to look at the trans data. They asked me to go on a drive with a mechanic so I did. He took a bunch of screens shots of the transmission between 1-2 and 2-3 gears and said they'll send it to Acura and see if they're willing to put in a new trans. They called me few hours later and said I'm getting a new trans and a new seat frame. Great customer service but all this on a car with 10K miles already that cost $40K? ****...Anyway, I have a 2018 TLX 4 cylinder loaner, the transmission in this car is amazing but it's definitely lacking the power of the V6 and I do miss my SH-AWD. I'll update next week around Tuesday how the new trans is feeling, hopefully they put it together nice and tight.
I totally hear you with low mileage and a lot of problems..
kind of concerns me since i've only owned my car 1 of the 5 or 6 yrs my loan is for..
wonder what happens in the higher km's.. hoping with the long warranty you get with these it will help work the kinks out so the vehicle will become the reliable vehicle Acura used to once make

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulation's! You just won yourself a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty for your transmission. You will be getting a letter in the mail informing you of what you won.
WOW, are you serious? That's amazing! Is it 10 years from in-service date or 10 years from when the new transmission is put in? Either way that's incredible. I have certified warranty on the car through 12/20/2021 so if it's 10 years from the in-service date I'll have warranty on it through 12/20/2024 which is crazy awesome!

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
WOW, are you serious? That's amazing! Is it 10 years from in-service date or 10 years from when the new transmission is put in? Either way that's incredible. I have certified warranty on the car through 12/20/2021 so if it's 10 years from the in-service date I'll have warranty on it through 12/20/2024 which is crazy awesome!

10 years from the date they install the new transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up the car yesterday, mannnnnnn....what a difference! It's like a brand new car (well, it was, only 10K miles). This new trans is so responsive, so smooth, so slick. I can't wait until I put about 1000 miles on it when it really sets in; if it's this good now, can't imagine what it will be like when the learning period is over. Soooo happy I got it replaced. They threw in a free 4-wheel (AWD) alignment so that's nice.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Picked up the car yesterday, mannnnnnn....what a difference! It's like a brand new car (well, it was, only 10K miles). This new trans is so responsive, so smooth, so slick. I can't wait until I put about 1000 miles on it when it really sets in; if it's this good now, can't imagine what it will be like when the learning period is over. Soooo happy I got it replaced. They threw in a free 4-wheel (AWD) alignment so that's nice.

Great news. Maybe update the thread as you have it for a longer period. Mine got better over time. It wasn’t great when it was first replaced. It settled down over time and it was an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great news. Maybe update the thread as you have it for a longer period. Mine got better over time. It wasn’t great when it was first replaced. It settled down over time and it was an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, I did notice one weird thing but I am definitely going to give it about 1000+ miles before I consider calling it an issue or going back to the service dept. From 4th to 5th gear, sometimes it doesn't know what it wants to do, it will either shift too fast and cause a slight jerk or it will hang a bit and then go into 5th really smooth. I think it's still trying to learn what it wants/need to do. But the shifts 1-2-3 and 3-2-1 are worlds better than before. I'll update in about 500 miles again. Not sure if it matters to anyone but Pauly Acura in Highland Park, IL has literally the best service department I've ever been to. They are so friendly, helpful and efficient. The manager there runs a really tight ship and I go out of my way to use them instead of closer Acura shops. If anyone here is from the Chicagoland area, go to Pauly, they're awesome. This isn't an advertisement but a real life experience from someone who's been to dozens of dealers over the years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last and final (hopefully) update:
I've put about 350 miles on the car since I picked it up. The transmission settled in and is literally perfect. Even the 4-5 kick that was there for the first few days is completely gone. Shifts 1-2-3 are buttery smooth and there is no jerking forward when downshifting. THANK GOD! Because I was really getting to the point of doubting if I'm going to keep this car and if I made a terrible mistake buying it. This became a different car with the new transmission. I asked the actual tech who put it in (he's been at the service for about 10 years; NSX certified, etc.) if the transmission is new or refurbished, he said they use Acura's re-manufactured ordering program but the only thing that is used is pretty much the case. Everything else internally, including the computer is brand new. Getting a new transmission really transforms this car. There were times when I would be driving someone and I would try to talk loudly or pretend something big is happening on the road to steer people's attention away from how bad my car is shifting and them feeling the jerking both going up and down. Now this really feels like a midsize luxury sedan. Knock on wood, no VCM vibration on my car either. The only thing that is somewhat annoying (I knew this when I was buying it) is the legroom for rear passengers. I took few people out to lunch the other day and it is a sad affair when an adult has to sit in the back. The 2016 Accord Sport that I sold to buy the TLX had enough room in the back to land a 747. Anyway, thanks for everyone's input on the transmission replacement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great news - now that I read your post, I remembered I felt some jerkyness sometimes when speeding up from a stop - I thought, this is strange, I didn't think there were problems in the first few gears. Anyway, those little hiccups have been gone for the last week or so. As far as I've noticed, my transmission is "perfect" also, as you describe. Except, I feel like there is still some slight intentional "lag" that they've put in for fuel efficiency, perhaps? Absolutely not a problem as a "luxury sedan", just, not quite as close to a "sports sedan" as I'd like in just one regard: launching from 0 mph. When cruising, and I want to speed up, that's absolutely fine, passing, merging, etc.

It really is a nice car - if only it had a turbo/super charger added, it would be an amazing car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new here. My 2017 TLX has 13,000 miles and tranny bad in the 1-2 and 3-4 range, ending around 40mph. Dealer is doing software update now. My question: was your software update a failure, thus the replacement transmission? Or something else? I wish I had noticed th is issue before buying... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
I'm new here. My 2017 TLX has 13,000 miles and tranny bad in the 1-2 and 3-4 range, ending around 40mph. Dealer is doing software update now. My question: was your software update a failure, thus the replacement transmission? Or something else? I wish I had noticed th is issue before buying... Thanks!
I would suggest giving the software update a chance. I think they say to let it learn for about 1,000kms. If the transmission is still acting up, take it back. if they have any other used 2017s on the lot you could drive one of those to see if it’s the same. The TSB which replaced transmissions After a number of software updates was for the 2015 model year.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yes some had resolved issues with just the software update.. give it 1000 Miles to learn your driving style. Esp since you have a 2017 I'm feeling like this will give you a good chance to resolve it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got it back after the dealer performed Service Bulletin 17-015. They told me I should wait 500 miles to notice a difference but I think it's already better. Will keep watching, but so far, so good. Hubler Acura in Indy has such good service. They make it so much easier.

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Got it back after the dealer performed Service Bulletin 17-015. They told me I should wait 500 miles to notice a difference but I think it's already better. Will keep watching, but so far, so good. Hubler Acura in Indy has such good service. They make it so much easier.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Document your experience with the upgrade. Drive as you normally drive. Hopefully you will have a "new" TLX to enjoy again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts