Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idle stop feature on SH-AWD seems like it is there to improve gas mileage. I like the idea of AWD, but am not eager to have my engine turn off at every stoplight. Does anyone know how this version works, and if it can be disabled?

·
Registered
44 Posts
On the RLX SH-AWD the Idle stop function is disabled if Sport mode is selected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks motegi, that's good to hear. Hopefully the same set-up will be found in the TLX. The more I look into the TLX, the more I like it. The YouTube videos from Acura reassured me the interior size is still large enough. The next step is to see it in person.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I hope so too, it's a great feature to have and if the RLX has it I think it's something they should also include in the TLX, it would help to make it better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't like stop/start one bit. Its a marginal fuel gain, I've read at best you're saving 1 MPG or was it 1%... regardless little gain, peronsally I'm of that opinion that those seconds it takes for the engine to re engage could potentially kill you, if you gotta move, you gotta MOVE!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since the driver's manual is out, maybe someone can go check if the TLX has it. (I think someone in another forum said it has. Didn't verify it myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the driver's manual is out, maybe someone can go check if the TLX has it. (I think someone in another forum said it has. Didn't verify it myself.
I couldn't find the TLX manual on the Acura website. In the "owners" section, there is a place to download an owners manuals, but the TLX is not listed yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
looking at interior pictures, the button on the bottom of the gear selector looks suspiciously like the Auto Start Stop (ASS) on/off button on current BMW's. If that's the case, then it's something the driver can disable. Hopefully on a permanent basis if desired or at least follow BMW's lead and allow "last state selected" to endure onto the next ignition cycle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looking at interior pictures, the button on the bottom of the gear selector looks suspiciously like the Auto Start Stop (ASS) on/off button on current BMW's. If that's the case, then it's something the driver can disable.
That's a great catch. The lower button on the gear selector is labeled IDS. Idle Stop? That seems likely it's there to disable as you said. If you can easily turn idle stop on/off when desired, that would turn the feature into a positive for me. Maybe the Acura engineers did get this car right!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I kind of like it on my current hybrid. Everyone is purring away and I'm sitting there in a peaceful and quiet cabin, enjoying my morning coffee.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I prefer the idle stop disabled unless I turn it on.

I don't like the delay - if you need to make quick left turn on a busy road at a stop sign. Such as the stop sign I hit first when leaving the house make sure to turn idle engine stop off first. If I forget to disable the Idle Stop when I get in the car - it will turn off the engine at the stop sign. And when I get a small window to make that left turn and my foot goes from the brake to the gas - the car hesitates for a moment and then jerks forward into traffic - it really is a great way to get killed on the way to work. which is why the first thing I do once the car starts is to turn the idle stop function off.

On a long red light I am fine with the feature though - noise wise hard to tell the engine is on or off when idle - it is pretty quite either way. But at a stop light where you perhaps are stopped for 4 secs it turns off right about the time you let up off the brake - and then uses extra gas to start back up - I doubt that saves any MPG at all..

·
Registered
438 Posts
i agree that there should be something at vehicle settings to turn it off, or set it off as default. i agree that it will be intimidating for first time drivers who are not used to having the engine turn on again

anyways, copy and paste from my other thread:

after a week of practice i got used to engine idle stop, and now i am able to use it effectively 95% of the time. the key is to just LIGHTLY rest your foot on the brake pedal without pressing it too hard for idle stop to activate, and press harder to activate it. i do that (lightly resting my foot on the brake) if i am at a stop sign or when i know that the red light will turn green soon. i now abuse it to maximize fuel economy and am able to get better than advertised MPG, and both ECON mode and idle stop helps contribute to that.

i suggest turning on "auto idle stop guidance screen" in vehicle settings so you know how much to press the brake pedal to activate idle stop. the dashboard screen will tell you if you have not pressed hard enough

that said, i do turn off engine idle stop when i am stuck in a highway traffic jam where the car never stops idle for more than 5 secs. i turn it back on when i exit the highway

·
Registered
20 Posts
The idle stop is nice on those long lights you know takes forever.... however I find it annoying the few times I pull into my driveway and it cuts off my engine... when I press the park button it starts the engine back up!

Also I do question the reliability of this when the car is 5 to 8 years old... having the engine cut off multiple times and restarting all the time can't be good for any engine.

The light pedal pressure does work to not engage the stop idle feature...but it takes concentration especially when you are in the city. And yes I do wish there is a disable feature and only turns on when I want it on.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The light pressure method is a subversive strategy to train drivers to operate the car more smoothly. This results in less gas consumption, less wear on the tire, less wear on the brakes, less strain on the transmission, lower operating cost, and less fun.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Auto Idle Stop

I just took delivery of a new SH-AWD Advance two days ago. I can say unequivocally that this is a PITA feature. I don't like it at all. The motion when it finally disengages when accelerating from a stop is totally unnerving. Very jerky. I can't believe it's at all healthy for the transmission. As has been posted, there is a console control to disable the feature, but it reverts back to enabled whenever the ignition is turned off. Remembering to disable it every time you start the car is necessary. If anyone hears of a permanent way to disable this feature, I'd like to hear it. And for those who have asked, this feature is part of a "package". It's not an individual feature/accessory you order with the vehicle. If you buy a SH-AWD, you're stuck with it.....

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I just took delivery of a new SH-AWD Advance two days ago. I can say unequivocally that this is a PITA feature. I don't like it at all. The motion when it finally disengages when accelerating from a stop is totally unnerving. Very jerky. I can't believe it's at all healthy for the transmission. As has been posted, there is a console control to disable the feature, but it reverts back to enabled whenever the ignition is turned off. Remembering to disable it every time you start the car is necessary. If anyone hears of a permanent way to disable this feature, I'd like to hear it. And for those who have asked, this feature is part of a "package". It's not an individual feature/accessory you order with the vehicle. If you buy a SH-AWD, you're stuck with it.....
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Thanks for the information. I am sure SH-AWD users will be interested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The auto idle stop feature on mine stopped working yesterday. It was raining, so don't know if it was a humidity issue as the manual states, that could be the cause. Will see today. Anyway, I didn't miss it! I'm not sold on the feature.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts