Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am a long time lurker of this forum but never registered to post before. I am a Honda technician with over 10 years experience and I have been working on a device (figured it out now) that will automatically turn off the auto idle stop every time the vehicle is started. This device would be placed under your console and connected to three wires under your console and that’s all that’s needed for install. The reason I’m posting this is to find out how many people would be interested in a device that did this on their vehicle. I mostly hear complaints about auto idle stop as it’s an annoyance or as the vehicle ages we are seeing a lot of problems with the vehicle not restarting after an auto idle stop. I can make quite a bit of these devices if needed, I was just trying to put a feeler out there to gauge interest in this idea. You can reply to this post or message me and let me know if you are interested. If enough people are interested I can make a lot of these devices and would be able to sell them I’m guessing on some other platform or website.
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sure! You would need to remove the left side chrome trim from the shift button assembly by pulling it upwards. Then remove both side silver trims from the console by pulling upwards(they are kind of tight). Then pull upwards on the cup holder/shift area and unplug the connectors. You would then connect a power and ground wire to the power socket wiring(connector, solder, twist)
whichever way you choose. Then hook up one wire to auto idle stop switch connector wires(same connection method you chose before) Then reverse the steps of console removal for install

edit: I could also make a plug and play option but it would increase costs obviously

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This device will also allow the idle stop button to function normally and can be turned on if needed by pressing the normal button

·
Super Moderator
682 Posts
Sounds simple and great. I would think the majority of people would be interested in something like this. Is this in the "Thought" stage? Or have you actually made, tried and tested this device? It does not sound that complicated, probably something like cut a wire and then solder or crimp in this new wire...... Obviously you would need great instructions with pictures.

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have made and tried this device but only one so far. I have it currently installed on a vehicle for testing and it’s working well. I’d like to leave it on for at least a week or two to make sure no problems or anything arise but electrically this really has no possible way of damaging anything.
Yes I would include instructions for install with pics and diagrams

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd say make it plug and play. I'm sure it will cost a little more, but people will be willing to pay and you would a lot less emails from users having issue with install.
Lastly, what might be best is to make a youtube video on how to install it...you can also advertise that people can buy them from you on that video.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would be interested... question when disabled does the dash light come on or stay off? I for one would like the dash light NOT on when manually disabled.

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The light comes on just like pressing the switch. I do have a way I think to disable the auto start and not have the light turn on. I’m working on that now

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 6 devices currently testing in vehicles. I’m waiting on a few supplies to make more. Should have some ready to go by next week. I’d expect the price to be around $80. I have also found some connectors that will make the wire tapping very easy and secure so no soldering or cutting wires required which is about as close to plug and play as I could make happen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im a member too in piloteers.org and theres already a relay to be connected on that switch to auto disable the auto start everytime you start the vehicle. I dont know if honda pilot and acura have the system on autostart.

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the 16-18 pilots are a different wiring configuration than all Acuras as are the 20 ridgelines

·
Registered
2018 acura mdx
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It may be in the future if it does well but for now I can’t justify the quantity of connectors and terminals I’d have to purchase.
I have to buy connectors in the 500-1000 pieces range and I just don’t have that kinda $ up front

1 - 16 of 16 Posts